Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 3M updates: Messers, Maurice, Maestro.... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Joachim Nilsson

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Sigman wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:
Getting back to the Maestro Line, can you please tell us the approximate blade lengths of the Liechtenaur and the Epée de Guerre?

Here is what I have from Peter. These are always subject to change but roughly...

Liechtenauer: 95 cm blade, 120 cm total
Epée de Guerre: 90 cm blade, 117 cm total

Hope this helps.

Ooooh. That sounds really nice.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess this is mostly for Peter but...

Continuing my increasing love for all things single egded; is there any possibility that the more slender and straight bladed messer that can be found in Talhoffer's 1467 fechtbuch ever will make its appearance as a sword in the Next Genereation line of single egded weapons? I missed out on a badly corroded original of that type on Hermann Historica and I'd love to see a modern reconstruction of such a messer.

Attachment: 16.14 KB
mess.JPG

Attachment: 7.2 KB
36673_b.jpg
Historical original. Seems to lack cross though. Total length: 84cm/33.6 inches.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
I guess this is mostly for Peter but...

Continuing my increasing love for all things single egded; is there any possibility that the more slender and straight bladed messer that can be found in Talhoffer's 1467 fechtbuch ever will make its appearance as a sword in the Next Genereation line of single egded weapons? I missed out on a badly corroded original of that type on Hermann Historica and I'd love to see a modern reconstruction of such a messer.

This is really in a distant and uncertain future, but...

If we do any more messers, I would really like to see a straight one Wink
I documented this one in Skara Länsmuseum. It is very wicked.
I´d like to design a verison of this one having an outline almost like a slim XVIII, but single edged, of course.
Talhoffer has depicted these pointy messers in one of his earlier manuscripts (although those were slightly shorter and wider in the blade).

The coming year will see other designs (we are working on concepts right now) so this single edged one will have to wait.
I feel very attracted to these. The ones we are working on now are more complex than this straight pointy one would be, so the production of the Meister and Knecht will be good when applied to any possible future single edged projects (and there are other single edged types beside messers that really beg for some closer study Wink )

We shall see.

Nice one, the one at Hermann Historica BTW. Thanks for sharing Happy .

Attachment: 49.98 KB
pointymesser.jpg

Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

This is really in a distant and uncertain future, but...

If we do any more messers, I would really like to see a straight one Wink

I'd love to see that happen. Razz

Quote:
I documented this one in Skara Länsmuseum. It is very wicked.
I´d like to design a verison of this one having an outline almost like a slim XVIII, but single edged, of course.
Talhoffer has depicted these pointy messers in one of his earlier manuscripts (although those were slightly shorter and wider in the blade).

That one was wicked indeed. It's hard to judge from the photo, but does it lack a nagel? The knuckle guard is an interesting addition too. I've seen that feature a couple o ftimes in contemporary art. It's somewhat similar to another piece sold by Hermann Historica. See pic below. I'd be interested to see how these more slender messers differ in handling and point of balance from the more bulky ones.

Yes I know of the pointy ones in his earlier manuscript. I'll post a cut-out pic from the 1459 Alte Armatur und Ringkunst. These seem to be even bulkier than those he features in the 1467 Ed. And is that I shallow fuller I spy on the blade?

Quote:
The coming year will see other designs (we are working on concepts right now) so this single edged one will have to wait.
I feel very attracted to these. The ones we are working on now are more complex than this straight pointy one would be, so the production of the Meister and Knecht will be good when applied to any possible future single edged projects (and there are other single edged types beside messers that really beg for some closer study Wink )

We shall see.

Awesome. We seem to share a common love for the single egded weapons. As you know, I've always been more of a praticioner than a collector, but recently I've developed a minor interest in collecting various types on single edged weapons. And in the end, collecting is still beneficial for my tarining, sinc ethat breeds the opportunity to handle lots and lots of different weapons. Happy

Speaking of onther single edged weapons: I recently managed to acquire a Faskinknife m/1848. You suspect that you have probably documented dozens of these, but if you like I can always bring it along for you to study and document next time we meet.

Quote:
Nice one, the one at Hermann Historica BTW. Thanks for sharing Happy .

Yes, it's a really nice specimen. What pains me the most is that it was sold for a mere 220 Euros. I should have put down a bid on that one. Sad

Attachment: 7.08 KB
bauern.jpg
The other messer from the same auction. This one definately features a nagel.

Attachment: 21.84 KB
mess2.JPG
Pointy messers in Talhoffers Alte Armatur und Ringkunst (1459). Note the long grips and the possible fuller.
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting news Happy
I can almost smell the cavalry sabers coming Eek! (or I could be totally wrong Laughing Out Loud )

That's a very interesting Messer, the one with the knuckle guard. When I finally thought I found a fantasy-weapon in a Dürer-woodcut someone comes up with a real existing specimen Wink
Well, maybe he made the pommel up.

@ Joachim Nilsson: It has a Nagel. Look closely, it's difficult to spot, but it's there Happy[/i]
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:

@ Joachim Nilsson: It has a Nagel. Look closely, it's difficult to spot, but it's there Happy

Yes, it does doesn't it? I was staring at the picture until my eyes almost popped out of my head and I just couldn't decide. Was worried for a moment that was only seeing what I wanted to see.
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:

@ Joachim Nilsson: It has a Nagel. Look closely, it's difficult to spot, but it's there Happy

Yes, it does doesn't it? I was staring at the picture until my eyes almost popped out of my head and I just couldn't decide. Was worried for a moment that was only seeing what I wanted to see.

Maybe O/T but what are a Nagel.
Where is it?
What are it used for/to?
I can't find that word in A Beginner's Glossary of Terms WTF?! Happy
And No! i will not search for that word Happy Razz

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:

Maybe O/T but what are a Nagel.
Where is it?
What are it used for/to?
I can't find that word in A Beginner's Glossary of Terms WTF?! Happy
And No! i will not search for that word Happy Razz

It´s a knuckeldefence added ti the cross so the cross gets T shaped.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
It´s a knuckeldefence added ti the cross so the cross gets T shaped.

What Martin said. You'll also see it as a shell, or even a side ring at the guard.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was just about to post when the site crashed Big Grin

Nagel means nail, btw Happy

It's clearly visible on Peter Johnson's concept drawing of the Knecht:

Another pic with a Nagel that is actually almost a clamshell guard:

Last edited by Wolfgang Armbruster on Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was just about to post when the site crashed Big Grin

Nage means nail, btw Happy

There have been no crashes today. It must have been the 'net. Sometimes routers behave badly or the various "backbones" get clogged and whatnot. There are a lot of things between here and Germany Happy

Thank you for the definition. I had wondered what the name meant before and never tried a translation. Excellent.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin Big Thanks Guy's!
So that little one have a name to, it's always fun to learn something new about details.
A search for Nagel/Nail would just give me allot of hit's on just wrong stuff. Laughing Out Loud
well! Howy have just released a photo of Peters Meister wax works and there it is, a Nagel Happy
Thanks again!

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom wrote:

well! Howy have just released a photo of Peters Meister wax works and there it is, a Nagel Happy

A really sweet one too. I really like the design on that nagel.
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second that Happy
The pommel cap will look great in steel as well Big Grin

When I look at these single-handed Messer (yup, same word for singular and plural) I can see why they were popular sidearms for everyday life. Easier (?) to make, smaller than longswords and most singlehanders too and therefore easier to carry around. I guess some nasty chopping occured when a fight broke out in an inn or a bar Eek!
No wonder that even nobles started to carry them Wink

To me they appear to have been the machetes of their days Wink
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me they appear to have been the machetes of their days Wink

Yep. I have a contemporary pic from ca 16th Century Germany where two farmers are using a langen messer to kill off some snakes.

I also second your idea about the versatility of the messer.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can hardly wait to see the Meister and Knecht in steel.

Now, I know it's rude to rush people, so beg your pardon, but if anyone at Albion is inclined and at liberty to tell, pray, how are they coming along? And when, approximately, can we expect them - this month? February? March? April?

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They are coming along as quickly as they can without them being "rushed". Every effort is being made to ensure that Peter's designs are realized at the highest level of quality possible. To do that, we cannot take shortcuts.

The Meister waxes are being molded now and we should have the first wax injections sent to the foundry soon. As soon as we get them back, Eric will start working out the assembly issues. These swords are going to be very different than anything we have made previously and some new procedures are going to have to be developed. That being said, I think that it is safe to expect to see the first of the messers sometime in the spring (barring any problems!).
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you! Please don't mind me, I'm just fidgeting in anticipation here. I know there's no rushing art.
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Concerning the Maestro Line - the estimated product introduction dates have changed

Lichtenauer - mid 2006

Mair and Epee de Guerre - late 2006

The rest - still TBA

since I put in an order for the Epee de Guerre about a week ago, I am not a happy man Cry
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Concerning the Maestro Line - the estimated product introduction dates have changed

Lichtenauer - mid 2006

Mair and Epee de Guerre - late 2006

The rest - still TBA

since I put in an order for the Epee de Guerre about a week ago, I am not a happy man Cry

Roger, you are not alone in your agony. I placed my order for the Lichtenauer last March! It's been a VERY long wait. Sigh. Sad

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 3M updates: Messers, Maurice, Maestro....
Page 3 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: