Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > bow care... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: bow care...         Reply with quote

Hello all. I've recently acquired a Hun horsebow as a present. I haven't owned a bow since I was 17, And I don' care to tell you how long ago that was. Anyway the package came with two bowstrings and some beeswax for them and no directions. Can Any of you help me out with the care and feeding of this beautiful recurve bow? I don't think 3-n-1 oil ,scotchbright,and metal glo are going to cut it here Laughing Out Loud From what I do remember the draw is really smooth, It doesn't stack very fast(it stacks at 38". but the weight is measured at 30") And has one hell of a punch for a 42# draw. Having no arrow rest took a little getting used to. I know I have to wax the bowstring, But I don't have the foggiest as to how to do that properly. I don't remember having to wax my eagle compound string. Any help here would be appreciated by myself and my bow Laughing Out Loud .
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike;

From another topic about bows that you participated in I got this site: http://www.horsebows.com/
That you were the source for: Did you forget about it ? As the site does give some information about care of bows ?

Maybe you can E-Mail them for a bit of "free " advice ?

Sort of funny that I'm referring you back to a site that you first posted here. Eek! Laughing Out Loud Maybe you just forgot about it.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Mike, is this just a standard multi-strand twisted bowstring? If so, what I like to do is untwist the strands and rub some wax into them with my fingers, then I retwist it back to the proper length (obviously, more twists make the string shorter, while fewer leave it longer) and reinstall it on the bow. You don't have to go nuts with the wax, just a light even amount. Also, I only have experience with synthetic strings, so if yours is linen or some other natural compound the procedure may be a bit different. Happy
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am assuming that this is a modern made recurve, with a fiberglass limbs and covered with leather. I've had two, still have one, the Mongol. Draws about 70 pounds and shoot pretty well. Keep the string waxed, thats about all the care the modern bows need. You can leave it strung. I know that's heresy, but the reality is that fiberlgas doesn't loose any strength. I had a modern fiberglas & wood 6 foot flatbow that had a draw weight of 78 lbs. It was kept strung for over 10 years, and when I sold it to a friend, we checked the draw on a bowscale, and it was 78. Horn and wood composite bows shouldn't be kept strung for over about 3-4 days, but everything changes when you add fibreglas. I dearly love archery, but am lousy at it. My wife bought me a Saluki Scythian last years. Took me six months to get it. Draw weight is 6l pounds, (I'm getting old) but it is as fast as someof the 70-s, and is very accurate.
Hank Reinhardt

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > bow care...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic