myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maces Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The fact that bronze can be indefinatly recycled and recast would seem to me that the cost of recycled bronze would be less than the cost of the relativaly rare tin.

Why not use old bronze on hand if available ?

Sounds well and good so long as you never lose a battle. Where does the bronze come from to replace that which was looted from bodies?

Where does the bronze come from to replace the significant amount of offerings in temples that is removed from circulation?

Why do we bother with copper and tin mines today? We have much more copper and tin than they had in the bronze age, yet recycling produces nowhere near enough for our needs.

If all of the bronze in antiquity was recycled then there would be nothing for archaeologists to dig up.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan;

Well I guess it depends on how many bronze maces you are talking about: A few pieces made as needed with available bronze or are you planning on making one each for 20,000 troops ?

Also if we are talking of the economics of a bronze age culture at the beginning of the iron age or a few bronze maces in eastern medieval countries, when and were it is not a critical logistic need!? About the same could be said for using steel or bronze for sword guards or pommels: You would use either for economic reasons or for esthetic reasons or simply having some on hand.

I don't know the economics with certainty, but with cannon I'm not sure if cast iron was chosen more for economic reasons than being a supperior material for muzzle loading canon.

Actually, I think bronze gave you a stronger canon with less barrel wall size and total weight than cast iron, but the lesser cost of cast iron made using more iron to have a safe and heavier canon economically advantagious.

Might be wrong here but at some point in the 18th century better cast iron technology and the high cost of bronze reached a tipping point were cast iron became the better choice.

As far as using bronze for maces I think we can agree that bronze can make a perfectly good mace.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, now. Wrought iron itself may not be superior to bronze (except for the whole being-able-to-eat-with-it thing, and not having to be cast, which is often an advantage) but wrought iron is the closest thing you get to pure iron in Mediaeval and modern standards (because it's so damned rare I exclude laboratory-made iron) so it's comparatively ductile, but also very tough. It's why you'd rather have a wrought iron nail than a bronze one. Forging is much faster than casting when you haven't got any welding to do (and sometimes even then), and bronze is really bloody difficult to forge.

If you want hardness, however, you're better off with steel, which is why armies with steel weapons trumped those with bronze. Because bronze lacks this hardness, bronze helmets are always thicker than steel ones to prevent deformation, but this adds to weight, even more because bronze is, as mentioned, heavier than steel.

Now, as for bronze vs. iron 'knobbed' maces they both have their advantages. Cast iron is very, very hard, and subsequently very brittle. Bronze, on the other hand, is not as hard, and heavier, which is why it is more common, but it also will warp or break after a number of beatings, and assuming bodies were looted, you'd eventually end up with a mace that wasn't much of a mace at all.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander Hinman wrote:
Forging is much faster than casting when you haven't got any welding to do (and sometimes even then), and bronze is really bloody difficult to forge.
Even ignoring the process required to get workable iron from a bloom, to make a folded blade requires days of work. It takes significantly less time to make a bronze blade.

Quote:
If you want hardness, however, you're better off with steel, which is why armies with steel weapons trumped those with bronze. Because bronze lacks this hardness, bronze helmets are always thicker than steel ones to prevent deformation, but this adds to weight, even more because bronze is, as mentioned, heavier than steel.

This is bollocks. There was very very little hardened steel during any time in the "iron age". Most of it was unhardened steel and wrought iron. Neither of which performs better than bronze. The old theory that the bronze age civilizations collapsed bacause they were defeated by barbarians using iron/steel has been discredited for decades now. firstly, the Bronze Age civilizations were using just as much iron as the opponents they fought and secondly, the iron weapons they were using were inferior to bronze ones.

Iron was adopted because it was cheaper and more readily available. Therefore more soldiers can be equipped in iron than bronze.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
This is bollocks.

This is not an appropriate response to this discussion, or any other discussion on this forum. Change your attitude and your verbiage Dan.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Adam Daubney

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been looking into knopped mace heads for some time now since we discovered one here in Lincolnshire, England. They are rare items in England, but much more common in eastern Europe and in Scandinavia. You can read a bit on what i've done so far in the portable antiquities scheme annual reports & the latest Med Arch journal.

Basically, I believe that this type (knoppped) was not used as a functional weapon, rather it was a ceremonial item. They were held on a wooden haft ~ the one we found still had wood in its socket as it was preserved in a peat deposit. Others from Scandinavia also have wooden hafts. I've never heard of one containing lead either ~ certainly none of this variety have been found with a lead interior i'm aware of.

Some of this type develop short collars below the head. These collars are often openwork and highly decorated and would certainly not have been used in battle. Indeed, on some examples the decoration covers the head too.

Their iron counterparts were the real article of warfare ~ not the bronze. A few bronze mace heads have been found in graves in Gotland too. They are not found with any other type of fitting either, suggesting that they are placed on a simple wooden staff.

Their distribution and development tends to go north and then north-west through europe. At the moment I think that the dates follow the spread of christianity, for example Christianity on Gotland was significantly influenced by the Eastern Christianity of Russia. Perhaps these staff terminals (maces) hint at the work of undocumented missionaries, after all, the mace was the weapon that was used by the church ~ perhaps this is symbolic to the spriritual battle?

Interesting thread!

regards
Adam Daubney
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, Adam!

I have some objections about that, what you wrote.

First the knobbed maces were widely used in battle, especially in the Eastern Europe.
Second if you read my first post, which opens this topic, you will see that we are talking about maces, made fully from BRONZE, to which Mr Alexander Hinman added those made from lead with bronze cover. So, I think, you can't deny these types of maces, made fully from soft metals and alloys.
Third you are absolutely right, writing about the iron counterparts, BUT what about maces without them. What about these maces, which I saw Question
And last the mace wasn't a church weapon because of its spiritual symbology. It was adopted by church officials, because with it they shouldn't spill human blood in battle.

Best regards!
Boris

Last edited by Boris Bedrosov on Thu 24 Nov, 2005 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a myth that the mace was used in battle by clerics because they were forbidden to shed blood. Once again I think we have Victorian scholars to thank for this misinformation. The weapon was used as a status symbol by bishops and rulers alike, though, so some of these bronze maces could have been symbols of office rather than practical weapons. However, it does seem that at least some of them were intended for the battlefield.
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Dan!

Are sure about that?
The number of bronze maces, found elsewhere in the Eastern Europe, is likely to prove the opposite - they were widely used as COMBAT weapon.

Best regards!
Boris
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Boris Petrov Bedrosov wrote:
Are sure about that?

I'm very sure that the mace was not used by clerics to avoid shedding blood in combat.
I'm very sure that the mace was used as a status symbol by both laymen and clergy alike.
I am NOT sure what percentage of extant bronze maces were intended for battlefield use Wink
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Dan!

OK! Laughing Out Loud
My question was exactly about combat bronze maces.
About their use as a status symbol of power I agree with you. There was even a word in most of the old-slavik languages "bulava" or "bulawa" (preserved in the modern Polish, Russian and Ukrainian), which means exactly that and also is widely used as a term, identifing mace or spiked club.

Regards!
Boris
Alexander Hinman

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Even ignoring the process required to get workable iron from a bloom, to make a folded blade requires days of work. It takes significantly less time to make a bronze blade.

Notice I said ignoring any welding. Folding iron is indeed more time consuming than making a bronze blade, but again once the Middle Ages came about smelting in larger quantities came about, and as a result so did homogenous steel of quite good quality.

Quote:

Neither of which performs better than bronze. The old theory that the bronze age civilizations collapsed bacause they were defeated by barbarians using iron/steel has been discredited for decades now. firstly, the Bronze Age civilizations were using just as much iron as the opponents they fought and secondly, the iron weapons they were using were inferior to bronze ones.

I was just stating what I had learned in school with regards to the Dorians, and also a section from Alex W. Bealer's The Art of Blacksmithing. Also, my comment on helmets stemmed from a placard I read in a Berlin museum next to a fair number of Corinthian helms.

Quote:
Iron was adopted because it was cheaper and more readily available. Therefore more soldiers can be equipped in iron than bronze.
This may be true. In any case, I'd like some sources so I can read up some more on the subject.

As for your earlier statement here:
Quote:
Only the finest medieval and Celtic steels (and some crucible steels like wootz) were superior to bronze.

I don't agree at all. Bronze was not used as a blade material, that I can see, at any point in Europe during the Middle Ages. It was obviously quite available (the various maces discussed in this topic are just one example), but it never made it into the blade manufacturing area, not even for knives. Aside from your thesis, it may be that 'work hardening' bronze is too much work for too little gain (that's what I've been told by fellow blacksmiths), or it could also be that even average medieval steel was superior.

Also! As promised, here is the image of the flail construction:

Attachment: 113.69 KB
DSC01048_edited.JPG

Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

This topic is getting more and more interesting for me (I hope, for you too). Do you want to expand it not only for the particular bronze maces, but for all of them? We can add flails, also

If "Yes", my idea is at first to set a common terminology for all of us. I think this is necessary, because in Bulgarian language, for exaple, we have only one word for all of them "bozdugan" (and rarely used the old "shestoper" and "bulava", usually by weapon historians or fans), but it doesn't show the exact type of the weapon. That's why sometimes I'm getting little confused - what is "knobbed", what is "flanged", what is "gothic". I know generally what these terms mean, but sometimes... Worried . I know this is easy for you, but it's not so for me.

I'm sending a picture with different types of maces. All are lettered. Please, write what, on your opinion, are their names.

Attachment: 54.17 KB
[ Download ]

Last edited by Boris Bedrosov on Fri 25 Nov, 2005 7:23 am; edited 5 times in total
Adam Daubney

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Boris,

I too am talking about maces made purely from Bronze. The ones that I have studied are literally a lump of decorative bronze on a wooden haft.

The type that i am referring to are clearly not functional as weapons, rather they are symbolic ~ status symbols if you like. Even ignoring the softness of the metal, the small diameter of the wooden haft would mean that it would snap everytime it was used.

We might be talking on different lines though. None of the maces in your picture are the ones that I am talking about. The following links will take you to the ones I have written up:

http://pas.toadhms.com/hms/pas_obj.php?type=f...8732101EF7

http://pas.toadhms.com/hms/pas_obj.php?type=f...774190160A

http://pas.toadhms.com/hms/pas_obj.php?type=f...777CC01ABA

The type shown above are the ones that I call 'knopped'.
Adam Daubney

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...as for your image:

I would argue that A B C F G & H are flanged maces. These are the iron examples used in battle, although they do have ceremonial counterparts.

D & E are spiked maces. Again used as weapons ~ I don't think they were ever used in a ceremonial context though

None of them are knopped ~ see my examples above for that! The knopped ones are, in my opinion, purely ceremonial.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Thanks         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
It is a myth that the mace was used in battle by clerics because they were forbidden to shed blood. Once again I think we have Victorian scholars to thank for this misinformation. The weapon was used as a status symbol by bishops and rulers alike, though, so some of these bronze maces could have been symbols of office rather than practical weapons. However, it does seem that at least some of them were intended for the battlefield.

Thank you for this. I have searched high and low for some support for this idea that warrior-priest (or whatever term you want to use) were not permitted to use "edged" weapons because of the idea of spilling blood...as if hitting someone with a mace could not draw blood. Then I saw somewhere a reference to another Bishop warrior who did use a sword. But I cannot tell you the number of times people have told me, "Odo would have never used a sword because he was a priest, and priest cannot spill blood, so he used a mace." Then it is pointed out that the Bayeaux Tapestry shows him with a mace. Okay...this is true, but do we then use Tapestries and other period art like we use photographs...I don't think so...they often depict what the artist is told by other who were at the battle and many times small details are just simply interpreted. I just have never found this reference in any of my theological studies.

Thanks again.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Alex!

Thanks for the picture. I need some clarification.
Do you have any general idea about the technology of the flail's "ball"? Is the lead core cast firstly and after that covered with the bronze cover (which I don't generally believe to be), or the lead is cast in the bronze "nut", which has been already made?

Regards!
Boris
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander Hinman wrote:
[This may be true. In any case, I'd like some sources so I can read up some more on the subject.

You have already been given Tylecote and Gilmore. Pleiner's "The Celtic Sword" has also been mentioned recently.
Alexander Hinman

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Boris,

It is probably as you suspected. The hole in the bronze suggests that to me. The way it could have gone was: Bronze nut, and iron pin, first, iron pin inserted into nut, lead poured in, pin rivetted over. Sadly, the book does not discuss the possible process of making the suspended club, so I have no 'official' answer to give you. It only says:
Quote:
They were made of metal or bone, weighted in the middle and with a loop at one and to which a thong of about 50 cm long was attached. The thong was looped round the hand, so that it was an easily concealed weapon intened for street fighting.

It also mentions earlier on in the book
Quote:
We can summarize the techinques available to the smith of medieval Nogforod as follows: (1) free hammering, (2) welding, (3) thermal working, (4) turning the metal with grindstones and files, (5) cutting with cold chisels, (6) polishing, (7) soldering, (8) coating with non-ferrous metal, (9) incrusting with non-ferrous metals and gold and silver, (10) smith's artistic forging
So either of these hypothesis are possible, but judging by the hole in the bronze layer, you are probably correct, though this may not be indicative of all clubs with this construction.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
Thank you for this. I have searched high and low for some support for this idea that warrior-priest (or whatever term you want to use) were not permitted to use "edged" weapons because of the idea of spilling blood...as if hitting someone with a mace could not draw blood. Then I saw somewhere a reference to another Bishop warrior who did use a sword. But I cannot tell you the number of times people have told me, "Odo would have never used a sword because he was a priest, and priest cannot spill blood, so he used a mace." Then it is pointed out that the Bayeaux Tapestry shows him with a mace. Okay...this is true, but do we then use Tapestries and other period art like we use photographs...I don't think so...they often depict what the artist is told by other who were at the battle and many times small details are just simply interpreted. I just have never found this reference in any of my theological studies.

There are two examples that people usually use when making this claim. The first is Turpin (Turin) in the Song of Roland. The second is Odo on the Bayeux Tapestry. Turpin is easy to dismiss since he is also described wielding a spear: “And the Archbishop lays on there with his spear,” (CXXVII.1682), so he doesn't seem to have any problems wielding edged weapons. Regarding Odo it should be noted that William himself is also depicted wielding a mace. Nobody would claim that he was under some sort of injunction preventing him from shedding blood. As has already been mentioned, maces and clubs were status symbols. Odo commissioned the Bayeux tapestry and Odo appears in it almost as often as William. It is very likely that Odo considered himself the social equal of his half-brother and so gave himself the same status symbol. Considering his bloody acts in the north of England to suppress revolts, it is clear that the good bishop had plenty of blood on his hands, regardless of what weapon he preferred.

Regarding canon law there were two main lines of argument. Either bishops were not allowed to enter combat AT ALL. Or they could engage in combat so long as their cause was just. There is nothing to suggest that they could enter battle so long as they didn't shed blood. The closest is St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologiae. In it he wrote that it was forbidden for clergy to "slay or shed blood" because they would become tainted and unable to perform their principal function (ministry of the altar). So one might conclude that St Thomas is giving permission for clerics to participate in battle so long as they didn't shed blood and didn't kill anyone. Of course, it must be taken out of context. Thomas also wrote that priests were permitted to enter a battlefield but only so that they may minister to the participants. He specifically wrote that it was “an abuse of this permission if any of them take up arms themselves.”

You can also put together a long list of priests and bishops who wielded edged weapons in battle and were never criticised for it by the Church. Some would include St. Emilian (8th century), Bishop Michael of Regensberg (10th century), all of Charlemagne's bishops, Bruno, Bishop of Touls (11th century) who later became Pope Leo IX, Archbishop Absalon of Denmark (12th century), Archbishop Christian of Mainz (12th century), Archbishop Andrew of Lund (13th century). There is also a sucession of Archbishops of Durham.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maces
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: