Waster assembly?
The Gregger and I were just talking about making a couple of wasters. Does anyone know of a good how-to online source for making them?
I haven't tried making a waster myself before, but here's one person's experience:

http://www.ifm-services.com/people/jamesk/woodworking/
Bill Grandy wrote:
haven't tried making a waster myself before, but here's one person's experience:

http://www.ifm-services.com/people/jamesk/woodworking/

Thanks for the info. This is something that I have considered in the past. I'm not a great woodworker, but I think that this kind of project is within the scope of my abillity, and if I use my dad's stock replicating machine, I can do two at a time (and what would be the point of having only one waster, after all). I really like the lead in the pommel idea. It might take a few tries to get it right, but proper balance is one of the things that I was worried about with wasters.

-Grey
Re: Waster assembly?
Patrick Kelly wrote:
The Gregger and I were just talking about making a couple of wasters. Does anyone know of a good how-to online source for making them?

This is something I was considering myself, so I had done some looking - rather fruitless, unfortunately. I did turn up two more sources, and a little bit of "stuff to consider".

This first link is from G. Wade Johnson, an ARMA member who made his own, and posted a how-to that is pretty good:

Wade's ARMA Waster

Maybe between this, the link Bill posted, and looking at some examples of retail pieces may give you some ideas regarding design and construction. A couple of things to consider: First, use the right kind of wood. Most definitely use hardwood - that's obvious, but some are better than others. Hickory, ash, and maple would be better than oak, and may not be too hard to find. Cherry may also be a decent option. Second, make sure that the wood used is of the straightest grain you can find, and knot-free. Third, run the grain along the piece - obvious for the blade, but this is also true for the cross, where it needs to go side to side, perpendicular to the blade.

I like woodwork. Personally, I don't know if I would go through the effort of making one myself - I won't need a bunch of them, so the learning curve, frustration, and effort of locating proper materials personally isn't worth the $80 or so... but that's me.

The second link is also from ARMA, off of their main webpage. Though not a waster, per se, it is still a sparring tool. They've made swords from oak slats, aluminum flat bar, closed-cell foam, leather, and fabric.
ARMA Practice Sword, 2nd Gen.

More information on their suggestions on making padded practice weapons can be found here:
ARMA Practice Weapons

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: