Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Del Tin Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tom M. McIntire

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Del Tin         Reply with quote

It seems that Fluvio Del Tin has been left out. I don't see his stuff mentioned anyplace anymore.

I got an email from him last week stating that waiting times on delivery of his swords was now 9 months. He also says he is not able to keep up with demand. He goes on to say -------" I only have to go my own way and make what is possible.-------

This, I don't think, bodes well for those of us who admire his products. I realize that his swords will be available for years but will the sword that is wanted now, be available now?

I've got a good collection, about 2/3 to 3/4 of his stuff, so I am happy with that but there are still a few things I wouldn't mind having when I have the $$$$$$$$$$$.

Tom

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you would need to check with some of the Del Tin resellers to get the answer to your question.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some five years ago, the waiting time was three months. Then demand skyrocketed, first increasing the waiting time to six months, then ten. Back then, Del Tins represented the best value for your money in that particular price bracket, but recent developments have shown that even better swords are within the financial reach of sword enthusiasts. Fulvio himself has been in this business for 30 years, and will probably be around for 10-15 years more, but as he has no apprentice (and two daughters and no son, making it less likely that someone will inherit the firm), there will eventually be no new Del Tin swords around. As for availability, you'll have to check around for retailers keeping them in stock.
My sword site
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Del Tin         Reply with quote

Tom M. McIntire wrote:
It seems that Fluvio Del Tin has been left out. I don't see his stuff mentioned anyplace anymore.

Del Tin is mentioned all over myArmoury.com, both in the Features Section and in the Many Hands-on Reviews. Additionally, there's some Del Tin featured in the collection galleries and in the comparison tool.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom from this and your other post in the thread with the Sture sword I gather you are a big fan of Del Tins. Nothing wrong with that, they are decent (some of them great) for the money. However there are certainly other production companies available that are making some outstanding products, and you might want to take a look at them.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Tom M. McIntire

PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Need Experience         Reply with quote

I live in central Nebraska and am pretty much alone in my interest in the history and the swords. I am sure that there are other great swords out there. I just havent been exposed to them. So I guess ignorance is BLISS !!!!!!

I have tried to gather a good sword library around me as well as a few authentic swords, mostly 18th and 19th century US.

The research I have done on authentic bronz age to renasaunce shows me that Del Tins are pretty historically accurate.
They are not a combination of several different swords but an exact sword. Of course there are exceptions to this.

I realize that Del Tin is not totally ignored on " My Armory." Just a little understated. Albion arms still carries Del Tin and will also assemble some so they must be worthwhile and have a market.

Tom
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Experience         Reply with quote

Tom M. McIntire wrote:
The research I have done on authentic bronz age to renasaunce shows me that Del Tins are pretty historically accurate.
They are not a combination of several different swords but an exact sword. Of course there are exceptions to this.

I'm not sure those two statements go together. For me, personally, things are historically accurate when they're based on an actual sword. If they borrow from several pieces, it's difficult to call it historically accurate. It may be more appropriate to say they're historically inspired. Of course, this is just semantics and is probably worthless to discuss.

However, I'd also say that in my experience, most Del Tin swords are often heavier than their historic counterparts and are often proportionately larger than the authentic versions that inspire them. Because they're left blunt, the edge geometry is quite different than authentic swords and the blade geometry is often severely simplified, often only attempting to copy the general profile and ignoring other blade properties. This leads to significant differences in handling characteristics.

This is true for most, if not all, reproduction swords in the price range, however, and shouldn't be taken as a criticism. As a point of fact, Del Tin makes a hell of a sword in their price niche.. I just would caution calling them historically accurate, since the reproduction market now has many higher-end (and more expensive) swords available that have raised the bar on what can be considered accurate.

Del Tins, like some other swords in that price range, serve their intended purpose and serve it well.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ciaran Flanagan

PostPosted: Fri 28 Nov, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi Tom,

Please note that the deltin Bronze age weapons have singularly done more damage to the understanding of bronze age weaponery then any other source out there. Their bronze age weapons are absolutly useless. They shouldnt even carry the name. The metal is completly wrong, The weight is about 4 or five times the proper weight, The geometry is wrong, the size is wrong...there is in fact not a single thing about them is correct, not one. I hate them by proxy...A friend of mine is doing his doctorate on bronze age arms and armour and these deltins are a massive thorn in his side. Holding A bronze age foundery Bronzie and the del tin side by side and the difference is so obvious and clear. In the past Deltin was the only source of Bronze age weaponery, this is no longer the case. Please note that although very pretty Albions bronzies arent great either. K and K art also have some but Ive yet to see a review yet. Bronze age foundery is the best supplier or accurate Bronze weaponry.

Ciaran

Ciaran

A wise man is someone who has travelled to heaven and hell and knows the difference.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Del Tin
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic