Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Asian Swords vs European Swords and Swordsmanship Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Jim Clark

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:

How long ago did I write that? I was wrong. I know that now.

Darn internet. Never forgets a thing.

Cheers,
Steven

My apologies, I didn't even notice the thread resurrection!
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard's point is well made. If one culture adopts the other culture's gear, it indicates admiration, at the least. If the gear which is imitated is not of practical significance, it is likely merely admiration - for example, the US military used kepis in the Civil War era, in imitation of the French. After the Franco-Prussian War, dress uniforms in the US use Pickelhaube type helmets instead. Of course, in the 19th century, headgear didn't provide much battlefield protection.

In the theme of this thread, when the Europeans reached Asia in the 16th century, neither side adopted the other's swords. However, the Japanese did adopt (to a limited degree) the European style of plate armour, while the Europeans never used lamellar. More important, neither side adopted the other's bows - but the Japanese seized upon the arquebus/musket with great enthusiasm, such that the yumi becomes much less important by the end of the Sengoku era.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
P. Cha wrote:
The basic misconception here is that katana = asian sword. Sorry, but if you include all of asia from all of history, there is WAY more sword variety you will see then in all of europe from all of history. Heck, the variety of swords from just korea is just mind boggling...much less if you include china, mongolia, india, south east islands etc etc. And even in the katana, there is quite a few different geometry that was used. And even in japan, the tachi preceeds the katana and had quite a bit of variety...and then there is specialized blades of japan on top of that. So if you started to compare all the variety vs each other in different conditions...well I'd think you will find out both sides were equally creative at finding way to kill each other and finding what worked best for their environment.

asia also includes styles from malay, cambodian, thai,india china, korea, mongolia as WELL as japan.

though im gonna assume for sake of argument, most are thinking of china, japan, india and korea.

Well I kinda assumed the etc etc would cover all the non major ones I haven't included in my list...

Poor mongolia...they almost take over the old world and their arms aren't even considered one of the major asian cultures.
Steven H

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jim Clark wrote:
Steven H wrote:

How long ago did I write that? I was wrong. I know that now.

Darn internet. Never forgets a thing.

Cheers,
Steven

My apologies, I didn't even notice the thread resurrection!

No hard feelings. I had to check myself.

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Asian Swords vs European Swords and Swordsmanship
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: