Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Reeve Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
[I wouldn't fret too early-- the Clontarf, Vinland, and Gotland are all still for sale, and they were released 2 years ago. So you might have more time than you think...

Exactly. Happy I'm thinking these guys believe the sword market is much larger than it actually is.

100 of anything is more than a few, not to mention 500 or 1000. If a person really wants one of these designs I don't think they need to panic.
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, at first when I saw the concept artwork, I wasn't sure if I liked Albion's treatment of one of my favorite types of swords. However, after seeing the actual production photos, I think they did an admirable job. Perhaps someday I'll have to replace my semi-custom Del Tin of the same type (photo).

Attachment: 12.72 KB
customdeltin.JPG

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Wow, at first when I saw the concept artwork, I wasn't sure if I liked Albion's treatment of one of my favorite types of swords. However, after seeing the actual production photos, I think they did an admirable job. Perhaps someday I'll have to replace my semi-custom Del Tin of the same type (photo).

No offense meant Dan, but after having handled a fair number of Del Tins and Albions I can firmly say that comparison is like comparing a volkswagon to a ferrari. I think you'd be very happy with the upgrade.
Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This one is definitely on my wish list. However, I am currently waiting on two other orders from Albion so until these arrive I must wait (unless of course Howy goes off and has a sale or something).

I really like how the pommel turned out. The Reeve just has a great look to it. Unique but not out of place its kind of subtle.

Gary
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have ordered my Reeve and just had to announce that the one shown is my sword. Big Grin
I just couldn't resist. I think that it is kind of cool that both my Norman and now the Reeve are the actual pieces pictured on Albion's site.

Jeremy

Mine is on the way too but with a proper black grip. Razz

Light brown for me!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Campaign worn light brown for mine, too.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Make it three... campaign-worn brown here as well. Finally made up my mind...
-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought long and hard about changing the grip color on this one as a brown or oxblood would look really nice. Unfortunately I though too long and Albion was too quick on the assembly!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
...Mine is on the way too but with a proper black grip. Razz

Whoa, Patrick. I thought you had decided to add some color to your life?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
Whoa, Patrick. I thought you had decided to add some color to your life?

hahah now watch the knee jerk reaction when i tell him there is no such thin as black leather in either viking or norman finds )hehehe ducks runs and covers........AHHHHHHH hehehe)
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seems like this one is already popular. Of course price could also be a factor, as this is easily one of the less expensive models.

Brian M
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck in support of Patrick I would say that all Viking grips were originally black but it is well known that Viking and Norman black dyes were unstable and all their surviving grips turned into different colours exactly at 3:00 A.M. during the night of June 12th 1254 : This was documented by a drunken Belgian Friar who was product testing a new beer at 28% alc. / vol.

The next day he started a new illumination drawing in the " WHATDOYOUMEANICAN'TSEESTRAIT " Bible that proves that the grips changed colours and that swords can easily cleave helmets and Knights down through to the saddle and cut horses in half. Razz Razz Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Seems like this one is already popular. Of course price could also be a factor, as this is easily one of the less expensive models.

Brian M

I just think that it is a great design. If I did not already own the Norman with disk pommel I would probably go for the Bayeaux as well, but then I would have 2 swords with the same blade which makes me very happy I did choose the Norman.

Another reason I think that it may be popular has to do with the brazil nut pommel and that so many of the surviving examples from the 11th and 12th C. swords feature some type of this pommel.

This includes my favorite sword from Recoreds XI,5. but that's another thread entirely. Wink

In any case I has been almost a year since my last sword which is far to long-- now there was that little A&A Iberian mace but really does that count? Blush Happy

Jeremy
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Jeremy V. Krause]
I just think that it is a great design. If I did not already own the Norman with disk pommel I would probably go for the Bayeaux as well, but then I would have 2 swords with the same blade which makes me very happy I did choose the Norman.

Jeremy[/quote]

Hey Jeremy,

Unless I'm misunderstanding your comment......The blades aren't the same. The Reeve and "Bay" share the same blade, but the Norman is the only hilt currently on it's particular blade. Shorter, wider, and slightly thinner.....

Jason Dingledine
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
hahah now watch the knee jerk reaction when i tell him there is no such thin as black leather in either viking or norman finds )hehehe ducks runs and covers........AHHHHHHH hehehe)

Perhaps you're right, but it would go well with equally inaccurate black pants. Wink
(And a seperate coif to boot. Oh my!)

[/img]

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Mon 07 Nov, 2005 9:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Chuck in support of Patrick I would say that all Viking grips were originally black but it is well known that Viking and Norman black dyes were unstable and all their surviving grips turned into different colours exactly at 3:00 A.M. during the night of June 12th 1254 : This was documented by a drunken Belgian Friar who was product testing a new beer at 28% alc. / vol.

The next day he started a new illumination drawing in the " WHATDOYOUMEANICAN'TSEESTRAIT " Bible that proves that the grips changed colours and that swords can easily cleave helmets and Knights down through to the saddle and cut horses in half. Razz Razz Razz Laughing Out Loud

HAHAHA!!
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Another reason I think that it may be popular has to do with the brazil nut pommel and that so many of the surviving examples from the 11th and 12th C. swords feature some type of this pommel.

I already have the Gaddhjalt, so I didn't buy the Norman because it uses the same blade. I like the Norman's hilt a lot, so I'm buying the Bayeaux. I won't be buying the Reeve because the blade is the same as the Bayeaux and the hilt is similar to the Gaddhjalt. And there's a hole in my period-correct bucket. Big Grin

Brian M
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Patrick Kelly wrote: No offense meant Dan, but after having handled a fair number of Del Tins and Albions I can firmly say that comparison is like comparing a volkswagon to a ferrari. I think you'd be very happy with the upgrade.

No offense taken. The question is not if I'd like it or if the Albion is superior, (of that there is no question, I would love to possess an Albion), the question is simply when my financial situation will allow it. However, that time still seems a while away and I'm holding out for a Type XII with a type I pommel and a style 2 crossguard to appear in order to finally break down and buy the beauty that is an Albion sword.

Last edited by Dan Dickinson on Mon 07 Nov, 2005 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy V. Krause

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

I already have the Gaddhjalt, so I didn't buy the Norman because it uses the same blade. I like the Norman's hilt a lot, so I'm buying the Bayeaux. I won't be buying the Reeve because the blade is the same as the Bayeaux and the hilt is similar to the Gaddhjalt. And there's a hole in my period-correct bucket. Big Grin

Brian M

It would seem that we have made our collecting decisions in a reverse manner in regards to blade vs. pommel. Wink

I have the blade of the Norman and the Brazil nut of the Reeve and you the Brazil nut of the Gaddhalt and the blade of the Bayeaux. I have handled the Gaddhjalt and think it is a spectacular sword and so characteristiic of existing historical pieces. There is more than one surviving blade sharing the handsome lines of this one.

Well, in the Reeve/Bayeaux we have a sword to look forward to with more of an appropriate feel for an infantryman. The Norman/Gaddhjalt really lend themselves to use from horseback at least it seems to me. I really look forward to receiving it. Happy

Jeremy
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Quote:
Patrick Kelly wrote: No offense meant Dan, but after having handled a fair number of Del Tins and Albions I can firmly say that comparison is like comparing a volkswagon to a ferrari. I think you'd be very happy with the upgrade.

No offense taken. The question is not if I'd like it or if the Albion is superior, (of that there is no question, I would love to possess an Albion), the question is simply when my financial situation will allow it. However, that time still seems a while away and I'm holding out for a Type XII with a type I pommel and a style 2 crossguard to appear in order to finally break down and buy the beauty that is an Albion sword.

That is indeed a very handsome style of sword, Dan. I share your admiration for those stark and dramatic simple shapes.

I donŽt think just such a sword will be developed in the forseeable future, however.
For the present the "basic" high medieval single handers have had their share of lime light. Later I have no doubt weŽll develop further types, but now it is time to look at other time periods that have been waiting their turn.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Reeve
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: