Go to page 1, 2  Next

Introducing... The Thegn
This is one heck of a sword... it feels as light and nimble as a short-sword, but balanced to cut like crazy... I have to admit that I fell for this one hard once I got to handle it this morning.

[ Linked Image ]

more here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...-thegn.htm

Specifications
Overall length: 34.5" (87.6 cm)
Blade Length: 28.75" (73 cm)
Blade width: 2.1875" (5.6 cm)
CoB: 5.5" (14 cm)
CoP: 18.25" (46.36 cm)
Weight: 2 lbs (915 grams)

Best,

Howy
Very, Very Nice!
Now that is an interesting design. I find that much, much more appealing than I thought I would. The pommel detail is much more crisp than I thought it would be. I like this one quite a bit.

Cool!
The pommel seems a lot more dimensional then the artwork suggested. Very nice. Not sure if I would buy this sword myself, but I do like the looks of it.
Awesome! :eek: :D
I have to admit I like this one more than I was prepared to. The pommel turned out very nicely for a one-piece design.
Maybe I'll pick this one up when I expand my collection to the Viking Age.

Brian M
Really attractive pommel and much more interesting than what could be anticipated in the drawing. I guess is that the drawing didn't give enough of a 3D feel to it.

Is this pommel related to the mo5e usual Viking 3 or 5 lobe pommels: By the way do we know what these meant at the time.

Does this o1ne represent the same thing but " different " in style or something com4pletely different.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 02 Nov, 2005 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Superb detail on the pommel. I like the fact that this blade is a little lighter than some of the other Viking era swords.
I'll echo Patrick's comments. I was hedging on the pommel details, but it's apparent that the new efforts (and new faces, too) are paying off!

I'm looking forward to playing with one of these someday soon!
Very interesting design! I'll bet it's very comfortable to hold.
I'm sure many of the old faces would do just fine....including this one.
B. Stark wrote:
I'm sure many of the old faces would do just fine....including this one.

I meant my comment as a pat on the back for Carl, not as a sleight on anyone... sorry it was taken any other way. :\
Beautiful sword! Definitely similar to the Viking ones. How is the handling compared to, say, the Jarl?
Robert B. Allison wrote:
Beautiful sword! Definitely similar to the Viking ones. How is the handling compared to, say, the Jarl?

Just from a little bit of time playing with it -- it feels as lively as a sword half its length (if that makes sense). The Jarl is more of a sword that swings with a feeling of heavy cutting authority -- the Thegn feels more like the Anglo-Saxon equivalent to a Renaissance cut and thrust sword that is as nimble and quick as a gladius.

If I had to fight in a holmgang duel, this is the sword I'd want to use...

Best,

Howy
Nice job on this one, guys. This is right behind the Jarl as my favorite of your Viking swords. That pommel turned out great.
Robert B. Allison wrote:

If anyone is looking for a sword that is nimble, comfortable and feels like a steel feather, this one is spot on. I don't personally lean toward viking-type blades, but my succinct description for this sword would be "light and crisp". This applies to both the handling/reponse of the sword, and the physical characteristics.

Aaron, many thanks for the pat on the back, but as you and others know (or should know), everything done at Albion is team play. :cool:

And...Hi Brett!

To all, cheers!
Steel Feather -- :cool: -- I like that
I just realized that in one month, between Oct 3rd and Nov 2nd, Albion has released 8 new swords. That is about one introduction every 3 weekdays

Agincourt
Allectus
Pedite
Aquilifer
Poitiers
Talhoffer
Bayeux
Thegn

Now please hurry up and release the Reeve. What's wrong with you guys! :D
Roger Hooper wrote:
I just realized that in one month, between Oct 3rd and Nov 2nd, Albion has released 8 new swords. That is about one introduction every 3 weekdays

Now please hurry up and release the Reeve. What's wrong with you guys! :D

Stay tuned ......... :eek:
I wasn't originally interested in the Thegn at all. It looks much more appealing in the photos. I would appreciate hearing more about the assembly of the pommel. The accent wire is clearly separately attached. Are the "saddle-shaped side lobes" separate pieces, or integrally cast with the pommel? Is the upper guard a separate piece?
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: