Introducing... The Bayeux
This is a classic Norman/Early Crusade era Age of Mail sword -- nimble and broad with a simple cruciform hilt design, yet elegant and brutal.

[ Linked Image ]

More here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...eaux-x.htm

Specifications
Overall length: 36.375" (92.27 cm)
Blade length: 30.25" (76.84 cm)
Blade width: 2.1875" (5.56 cm)
CoB: 5.125" (13 cm)
CoP: 18.75" (47.63 cm)
Weight: 2 lbs 7.2 oz (1.12 kilos)

Best,

Howy
I love the simple elegance of that sword. She looks like a killer.
Whoah. Nice.

Hey, I know you get this a lot, but I must say: I really didn't expect to like this one all that much - but! - now that I see it in steel... :eek:
I think that grip in the pic is really pretty...
Nice basic sword - in its time, the design probably used by most warriors.

Will the same blade be used for the Reeve?

What is that color you have on the grip? It doesn't look like any of the standard grip wrap colors. It's sort of like the light brown with some yellow or gold mixed in.
Roger Hooper wrote:

What is that color you have on the grip? It doesn't look like any of the standard grip wrap colors. It's sort of like the light brown with some yellow or gold mixed in.

Hey Roger!

Yes, it is the same blade as the Reeve. The grip is the "campaign worn" -- again, each one with the natural materials used comes out a bit different.

Best,

Howy

Last edited by Howard Waddell on Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
That is a great looking sword,

I'll take these early models anyday over the latter period stuff. That really is a nice blade- I'm so looking forward to the Reeve. :cool:

Jeremy
Howard Waddell wrote:
Hey Roger!

Yes, it is the same blade as the Reeve. The grip is the "campaign worn" -- again, each one with the natural materials used comes out a bit different.

Best,

Howy

matching scabbards possible?
I love the way it looks, it really adds something overall IMO.
Howard Waddell wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

Hey Roger!

Best,

Howy

Howy,

It would be great if you guys could fairly consistently produce sword grips of this colour. It really looks good, but at the same time, it would be a shame to lose out on the more "conventional" colouring of the campaign-worn brown. In other words, it would be nice to see campaign worn "yellow" and campaign worn brown.
The Bayeaux came out as nice as I had hoped. One thing I was looking for was how the guard would taper, since it's hard to convey in the sketch. Looks like it tapers a somewhat less than the Gaddhjalt.
This one is next on my list when my credit card cools off in a couple of months. ;) You have a guaranteed sale.

Brian M
Wow, never really liked the concept-art for this one, but it really looks like a great sword. Very, very tempting.....
Nice job on the Bayeaux! The 'campaign' grip is perfect with it. I'm anxious to see how the Hospitaller turns out. -Ted
I like this one. Like it a lot. Though, for some reason, I had pictured a spherical pommel as opposed to a disc. Must've been the way I interpreted Peter's drawing. Not so crazy about the grip, myself, but those are my own aesthetics.
Very, very nice work! That's a beautiful blade from top-to-bottom, and that grip color is as close to my ideal as I've yet seen! Can't wait for the Reeve!
Keep up the good work!
Wow! Pretty....
That pommel, at first, looks like a simple disc, but seems to have a subtle convex shape that really draws my eye.
Nice. . . Lovely just isn't the right word on this one. . . just, Nice. :cool:

On the grip, it looks like it is leather stretched over the core, with no cord underneath save for the risers at the top and bottom? If so, this really brings out the antiquing effect of the campaign worn dyes.

On matching scabbards, you would probably be best served ordering the sword and scabbard at the same time - hopefully the best odds of getting leather cut from the same side for grip and scabbard cover and also to have them colored using the same dye lot? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

The lines of this sword are striking on their own, but does it ever seem to me like a blank canvas begging for some engraving. . .
Sweet! I was curious how these would come out in weight and balance. Any comments on how she feels in the hand Howey?
Darwin Todd wrote:
Sweet! I was curious how these would come out in weight and balance. Any comments on how she feels in the hand Howey?

Hey Darwin!

It is hard to convey in words, but I would say that this sword is far more "nimble" than I expected -- very fast and light in the hand for a cutting-oriented sword and for its weight. It reminds me quite a bit of how the Knight (my personal favorite) feels.

Best,

Howy
Howard Waddell wrote:
Darwin Todd wrote:

Hey Darwin!

It is hard to convey in words, but I would say that this sword is far more "nimble" than I expected -- very fast and light in the hand for a cutting-oriented sword and for its weight. It reminds me quite a bit of how the Knight (my personal favorite) feels.

Best,

Howy

See, that's NOT the kind of stuff I want to hear. I need to stop buying swords for a while. I need a new car. I need swords too, but I need a car even more. So if you guys bring out this great looking sword, which happens to handle like one of the finest handling swords I, you're not doing me a favor.

It's just not fair. :cry: :cry:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: