Amazing new book published
A new visual encyclopedia on the history of warfare was just published a few days ago. Its called Battle: A Visual Journey Through 5,000 Years of Combat. The publisher, DK, calls it The definitive Illustrated History.

It features 360 pages of full color illustrations, timelines and photographs, of all manner of weapons, ships, combat formations, strategies, and fortresses. It is an amazing work to behold.

From the publisher:
Featuring the key developments in military technology, from the discoveries of bronze and iron, to the introduction of gunpowder and the creation of weapons of mass destruction, Battle provides a dramatic overview of the conduct of warfare through time.

Includes biographies of military leaders, tacticians, scientists and inventors
Covers causes, events and consequences of every major conflict
Gripping personal accounts bring the battlefield closer to the reader.

http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.php?ASIN=0756613604
I browsed through this in a bookstore the other day. It is an interesting book. However, for myself it really wasn't worth the $40.00 price tag. It's a general overview (as should be expected given the title) of the entire history of combat, as such it doesn't really go into great detail in any one area. Still, it is a nicely illustrated book. If someone desires a book that provides a general encyclopedic overview this is a nice one.
Yep. That one is in our Bibliography, too. I've looked it over and intend to buy it at some point, though I don't own it yet. Lance, you should go to our Bookstore and add it to your reading list and add the text, above, as your review.

Patrick, it's only $19.95 in our Bookstore rather than the $40 list price.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Yep. That one is in our Bibliography, too. I've looked it over and intend to buy it at some point, though I don't own it yet. Lance, you should go to our Bookstore and add it to your reading list and add the text, above, as your review.

Sure, I'll do that. I searched the bookstore and went through a few pages and didn't see it, I didn't know to check the bibliography though.

I was lucky enought to pick this up for $25 at the local Sams club, which I thought was a good deal, but I see amazon has it for $26 with free shipping. I've always been a fan of the visual guides published by DK.
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Patrick, it's only $19.95 in our Bookstore rather than the $40 list price.

I know, and I think it's well worth that. It's worth the $40.00 really, but just not for me personally. This is a fairly large book and is a real bargain at our bookstore price. The only real problem I have with this book is one I've had with several new releases I've seen of lately. More and more they seem to be relying on computer graphics to illustrate an object. Often it's a graphic of an existing antique. I'd rather see actual photos in those cases.
Browsed through it quickly at a local bookstore: Looks good but I saw a couple of oddities like flipped picture of what would be a lefthanded Brownbess. :eek:

Lots of very nice pictures though but the reliability of the information might be occasionally doubtful: Not a scholarly work to use as a certain reference and more as an interesting coffee table book that might repeat the occasional myth as well as good basic information.

But I could be wrong as I only gave it a very casual look : Just a first impression. :lol:

Might actually buy it.
I have to agree with Patrick on this. This is more a book for the general reader. I'm interested mainly in Ancient and Medieval warfare, a book with loads of info on brown besses, gatling guns and Lee-Enfield rifles isn't really for me. I've got too many of those taking up space and my bookshelves already. Now if DK had split it into 2 or 3 parts, then I might have been more interested... :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: