Cutting test - how to
Hi there,

I ordered my first ever sword, an AT 1555 Longsword from Angus Trim. Now I switched into waiting mode and try to be patient...

Now, to set the scene for my sword's arrival: how do I really DO a cutting test :?: I read a lot here about you folks doing cutting tests - with water bottles (I hope not glas, filled?), tatami mats (where to get?), and how to set all this up?
How to cut? Vertical, horizontal, with the classical German Sword Haue (Zornhau etc.)?

Anybody to give me some hints?

Ralph
Hi Ralph,

I suggest starting with soft targets. Pumpkins will work really well especially if you can convince a local farmer to save you the rejects. Soft targets will be more forgiving if your blade alignment is off. Water bottles (filled) are okay too but try milk jugs at first. These are soft and cut really easy. I had my brother in law build me a cutting stand with metal legs and a 4x4 post. I set stuff on top to cut but also have the option of inserting a metal rod on which I can impale various things. Tatami mats are great but hard to find and expensive to have shipped. I suggest trying them at some point but it's not nessasary right now. Remember to follow through your cut and keep the edge aligned. The best cuts are always diagonal (Zornhau in German) right to left. Hold the sword at your right shoulder (Vom Tag) and pass forward with your right leg as you cut. What's most importaint is safety so cut with good control and keep everyone else at distance. Good leather gloves are recomended.
Thanks for the hints, Gary!

I'll give it a try - but when the sword is due to arrive, I fear the pumpkin season is over :-(
I'll find something among the Christmas staple...
Hi Ralph,
I've experienced my first cut with milk gallons filled with water. It would be good to start on the gallons if you can't get pumpkins, melons or cantelope. Once you perfect those work down to smaller soda bottles. At the cutting party I went to we had 2 wooden tripods with a piece of plywood on top, then a barrel of hay on top. You want the item your cutting directly in front of you. You could use a cardboard box or I've even heard of people using those big plastic buckets instead of the barrel of hay. Then follow Gary's advice on cutting. I found it very forgiving to start in vom Tag, follow through with the cut, and end in a guard such as Flug (you could also go to Ox).

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Helen
What to Cut?
Well I thrust and slash cardboard boxes that I clamp on my "Workmate". Sliced through a huge over grown zuchinni once with my German Bastard Sword and to my utter amazement the top piece (completely sliced in half) stayed on the bottom portion and only moved to the side about an inch. What really amazed me about this, is the fact that this sword is rather heavy at near 5 lbs. and the fact that I am very new to all this and am a novice.
Anyway, I love stabbing and hacking cardboard boxes, I get them from the neighbors. Of course my neighbors are convinced I am half a bubble off plumb. LOL!

Though about as new to all this as you are, welcome to the obsession, it's GREAT!
Bob
Helen and Bob, thanks for your contributions. I'll definitely give it a try (once the sword is in my hands) and let you know.

Bob, I read your Thoughts on Fine European Medieval Replica Swords, and completely are with you. The sword thing has an obsessive touch to it. Tried to expand on that, but there is nothing more to say. I got the Oakeshott book "Records of the Medieval Sword" today and spent hours browsing through the sword classifications, comparing with Albions produce, in order to delimit my next purchase... (the Baron turns out to be right on top of my list).

I'm very lucky to have an ARMA-related swordmen's group close where I live (zornhau.de) and I will go training tomorrow :D
Just a question: what is the German Bastard Sword you own?
Ralph wrote:
Just a question: what is the German Bastard Sword you own?

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_aa_gbs.html
And.............
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_aa_gbs2.html

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: