Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: books on swordfighting to help with self training Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Rogers

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Wanted: books on swordfighting to help with self training         Reply with quote

i am in a rural area and i do not have access to any large citys or to persons that may have the experience to train me. so i am looking for anything that will help me to train i am not sure if this is the place for me to post but this is my first post. so if any one has some books or know where i can get some please tell me thanx
Corruption breeds destruction, and those without mercy are those without hope
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: training book         Reply with quote

Guy Windsor's "The Swordsman's Companion". For reviews, http://www.freifechter.org/cgi-bin/cowman/con...or/windsor (it's in english), and followups at http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37037 .
It's a very useful book, and just what you need.
mark
David Kite

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

PM sent

David Kite
GFS, ARMA in IN
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This doesn't fit in the Marketplace because you're probably asking questions and trying to start a discussion about these things. Seems more than you're looking for a recommendation rather than a private seller, so I'm moving it to the right forum.

Please see the Marketplace Forum Rules for more info.

Check out the many book reviews in our bookstore's Member Reading Lists. There are lots of titles in there that will probably interest you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Stephen Hand

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Robert,

Swordsman's Companion is excellent, as are many of the books from Chivalry Bookshelf. It depends very much what weapon(s) and what system(s) you are interested in. There are also many excellent workshops around the US each year. 4W is in Seattle next March. There's a large event in Lansing Michigan in August each year, and Western Martial Arts Workshop, which was just in Wisconsin is in Dallas Texas late next year. Each of these events hosts a great many excellent instructors and a large range of styles. The more groups and instructors you have exposure to, the better idea you'll have of what's out there and what you might want to spend your time pursuing.

Good luck.[/url]

Stephen Hand
Editor, Spada, Spada II
Author of English Swordsmanship, Medieval Sword and Shield

Stoccata School of Defence
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're interested in german school of swordfighting, then you should get a training manual by Tobler: "Fighting with the german longsword", but before you read it, you should watch the DVD "The Longsword of Johannes Liechtenauer", I think they're both sold by Chivalry Bookshelf and available through Amazon and other stores.

I think you'll find it very easy to follow the instructions in Tobler's book once you familiarize yourself with the basics from DVD.

Oh, and try to find someone with similar interests, it's much more fun if you can actually spar. Big Grin

Happy training!

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Robert,
I think everyone gave some excellent advice, particularly about checking out Chivalry Bookshelf. Nathan mentioned the member reading list, and mine in particular is pretty focused on WMA books with reviews. Hope it helps.

http://www.myArmoury.com/books/list.php?mode=user&u=126
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Books by Christian Tobler are my favorite longsword books         Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

I am real new, I have invested in several books, pertaining to longsword study, my favorites are the books by Christian Tobler. His books have been invaluable to me and have helped me enormously. Well, these are my personal favorites. Feel free to check my profile for others, including a couple of books pertaining to the Italian Rapier.

Happy Collecting,

Bob

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: books on swordfighting to help with self training
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic