Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Talhoffer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Author Message
M. Taylor




Location: Chesterland, Ohio
Joined: 01 Mar 2004

Posts: 128

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Croushore wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:
M. Taylor wrote:
Man, that's nice! I really like how these long XVa's are turning out. So, do we really have to wait another three months to see the last two of these? Thanks, Howy and co.


I think the next new swords we see will be the Reeve, the Bayeaux, the Hospitaler, and the Thegn.

I'm really looking forward to the Reeve with its brazilian eye pommel


The upcoming appearance order should be Bayeaux, Thegn, Reeve then Hospitaler. At least, that's the order I sent out the production waxes. Cool


The Thegan should be really interesting. The waxes for it look great.

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
View user's profile Send private message
Mark Mattimore




Location: Cincinnati OH
Joined: 04 May 2004
Likes: 5 pages
Reading list: 41 books

Posts: 424

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Eek! I like that a lot more than I thought I would. Sometimes you just can't go by the sketches.

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
I'll have to see the next two "in the steel" before I decide. Probably between this and the Fiore for me...


I'm with Aaron on this one. I need to do a side-by-side comparison (photos anyway) of all the new XVa models before I make a choice. Or I guess I could just get them all. Laughing Out Loud

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
View user's profile Send private message
Aaron Schnatterly




Location: New Glarus, WI
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,244

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
I'm with Aaron on this one. I need to do a side-by-side comparison (photos anyway) of all the new XVa models before I make a choice. Or I guess I could just get them all. Laughing Out Loud


That's the spirit!

Honestly, there are elements of each of the 4 that I like, just not sure they are all on one piece. The blade is the obvious common denominator... I like the Ringneck, but it appears too similar to my Merc, so I'm pretty much aceing that one... Like the Agincourt's cross... Fiore's grip, and Talhoffer's pommel... They are all nice, just looking for the one that is my personal favorite, and I'll just have to see the finished pieces to decide. If money were no object, I'd have a standing order for one of every piece made... but I have to show some restraint. Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly
_______________

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
M. Taylor




Location: Chesterland, Ohio
Joined: 01 Mar 2004

Posts: 128

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Mark Mattimore wrote:
I'm with Aaron on this one. I need to do a side-by-side comparison (photos anyway) of all the new XVa models before I make a choice. Or I guess I could just get them all. Laughing Out Loud


That's the spirit!

Honestly, there are elements of each of the 4 that I like, just not sure they are all on one piece. The blade is the obvious common denominator... I like the Ringneck, but it appears too similar to my Merc, so I'm pretty much aceing that one... Like the Agincourt's cross... Fiore's grip, and Talhoffer's pommel... They are all nice, just looking for the one that is my personal favorite, and I'll just have to see the finished pieces to decide. If money were no object, I'd have a standing order for one of every piece made... but I have to show some restraint. Wink


You? Restraint? I'm shocked!! Razz

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
View user's profile Send private message
Aaron Schnatterly




Location: New Glarus, WI
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,244

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Taylor wrote:
You? Restraint? I'm shocked!! Razz

Heh.. yeah... a wee bit.

I have a project in the works that's going to be eating most of my available funds for a while. It may be some time before I pick up another new blade... just have to live vicariously through all of you guys and gals. Guess I should qualify that, though... the Svante still needs to be in my living room (happy b-day to me!)... and Munich #1 is mine as well (merry Christmas to me!). I have a couple of other things that are on order, too, and a few that haven't been brought up that are already in my posession... so yeah, restraint... or something like that. Wee bit. Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly
_______________

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mark Mattimore




Location: Cincinnati OH
Joined: 04 May 2004
Likes: 5 pages
Reading list: 41 books

Posts: 424

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
but it appears too similar to my Merc, so I'm pretty much aceing that one...


OMG that's the same reason I'm having such a tough time deciding. I love aspects of them all but don't want too many repetitive pieces in my collection. It's like having three pairs of brown oxford shoes. Just how many does one guy need. Laughing Out Loud

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
View user's profile Send private message
Jeremiah Swanger




Location: Hershey, PA
Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 543

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing... The Talhoffer         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
All I can say is... Wow...

Specifications
Overall length: 46.375" (117.8 cm)
Blade length: 36.25" (92 cm)
Blade width: 1.875 (4.76 cm)
CoG: 3.25" (8.26 cm)
CoP: 20.25" (51.44 cm)
Weight: 3 lbs 5 oz (1.5 kilos)


Well, that settles it...


... this is going to be my next sword...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Aaron Schnatterly




Location: New Glarus, WI
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,244

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
OMG that's the same reason I'm having such a tough time deciding. I love aspects of them all but don't want too many repetitive pieces in my collection. It's like having three pairs of brown oxford shoes. Just how many does one guy need. Laughing Out Loud

Precisely. I own 4 pairs of footwear... 7-year-old tennis shoes, a pair of steel-toed work boots, a pair of decent boots, and a pair of medieval low boots. The only common denominator is that I stuff my feet in them.

My collection has grown to a point where you don't take it in in a single look - you have to turn your head. Pile in pieces of too many similar elements, and it looks excessive or armoury-like. I want the pieces to be individually merited, not as a part of a hoarde prepared for some invasion upon my estate.

-Aaron Schnatterly
_______________

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Steve Grisetti




Location: Orlando metro area, Florida, USA
Joined: 01 Mar 2004
Likes: 7 pages
Reading list: 28 books

Posts: 1,810

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
I didn't like the concept drawing of this one at all, but I do like the completed sword a lot....

Daniel took the words right from my mouth! I have been trying to conservatively plan my financial outlays for things like this. Albion is making such planning very difficult.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
View user's profile Send private message
Edward Hitchens




Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 9 books

Posts: 818

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing... The Talhoffer         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:
All I can say is... Wow...

Specifications
Overall length: 46.375" (117.8 cm)
Blade length: 36.25" (92 cm)
Blade width: 1.875 (4.76 cm)
CoG: 3.25" (8.26 cm)
CoP: 20.25" (51.44 cm)
Weight: 3 lbs 5 oz (1.5 kilos)


Well, that settles it...


... this is going to be my next sword...


Good thinking Jeremiah. Welcome to the Talhoffer Owner's Club! Razz

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message
Jeremiah Swanger




Location: Hershey, PA
Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 543

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing... The Talhoffer         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:

Well, that settles it...


... this is going to be my next sword...


Good thinking Jeremiah. Welcome to the Talhoffer Owner's Club! Razz



Don't show me the secret handshake just yet-- I still have several months' worth of cash to save up! Between my car, insurance, and rent, I'm going to be relying solely on my tip money for this thing... Razz

Besides, the more I think about it, the more I want to see how "The Earl" turns out first, though I highly doubt I'll like it (or many other swords, for that matter) more than this one!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Micha Hofmann




Location: Bonn, Germany
Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Reading list: 2 books

Posts: 109

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy Ahhhhhhhh.... finally.

This looks really great. Now I only have to come up with the money... Confused Blackened hilt and pommel and a dark green grip would be great....
View user's profile Send private message
Edward Hitchens




Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 9 books

Posts: 818

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Micha Hofmann wrote:
Blackened hilt and pommel and a dark green grip would be great....


Wow, that would be interesting. Eek! Mine's gonna have an oxblood grip (no blackening). -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message
Micha Hofmann




Location: Bonn, Germany
Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Reading list: 2 books

Posts: 109

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oxblood ( or Albions "Magenta" ) would have been my second choice of grip colour.
If my Christmas payment turns out ok, I'll post some pictures here in December... Wink
View user's profile Send private message
Edward Hitchens




Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 9 books

Posts: 818

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Talhoffer just arrived! It's been about an hour now, and I've been holding it this whole time. I can't take my eyes off it. This sword is absolutely magnificant! Eek! I'll post some pics as soon as I can.
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recieved my Talhoffer this week and since today was my first day of in quite a while I took it out for my first "test run" today. I am... I am... Utterly Beyond words. Almost anyway. The Talhoffer is a prime contender for the spot of "my all time favorite sword" -a place previously and solely occupied by the Svante. Top notch work by PJ and the Albion team.

This sword, when wielded and used in tip progressions, feels like a natural extension of my body. It's fast, agile and responsive and floryshing with it gave me heaps of new insights into the art of fencing. The Five Strikes of the Lichtenauer tradition has never before felt so natural as they did when performed with the Talhoffer. Two quick Zwerhauen -from right to left and left to right- comes so natural and are so fast that.... oh my. It has to be tried to be believed. As with swords of this type the balance are located not far from the hilt and this immediately is noticeable when the sword is used. Cuts, thrusts and slices all come darting out like a serpent's tongue. A colleague and I also tried utilizing guards and concepts like Ochs, Pflug and Langer Ort ("Long Point" -done with the arms extended straight at the enemy) against each other. And the results were spectacular. Being on the "recieving end" of that tip is so utterly dismaying that one becomes very vary of the slightest motion in the one who's wielding the sword. And you immediately focus more on keeping track on the sword than the person holding it. More over: Langer Ort is downright scary. You just can't percieve, nor judge, how far away that tip is! I can so totally see why Langer Ort is good to utilize if you want your enemy to keep his distance. Especially since he automatically backs away when faced with that nearly invisible point! And to those out there who for some reason have gotten the idea that our historical fencing tradition in linear in its movement: Get in front of a sword like the Talhoffer that has its point aimed at your face -charging straight in from that position would be suicidal. At best. I pity the foo'!

Sorry.... Couldn't resist the Mr. T reference.
View user's profile
Aaron Schnatterly




Location: New Glarus, WI
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,244

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim, the Talhoffer is yet another of the pieces I got to play with a couple of weeks ago. Like you, I seriously dig this blade type, and am pretty excited about this particular hilting combo, too.

The mini-review you posted is great - I could follow your thoughts right along with my experience handling this guy, and you are dead on. If I wasn't so damned overextended with other projects and holidays right now, this would be at the top of my list - at least of pieces now in production. Currently, the Knecht ( Eek! ), the Munich ( Cool ), the Mair and Liechtenauer ( Big Grin & Big Grin ) are on order, and I have the "creme'-de-la-creme', yes, you can start hating me now" custom piece in the works. I'm flat busted broke... this week, anyway. Razz

Back on topic here... Langer Ort has got to be downright nauseating to be facing with this piece... all you see is a midline glint and the bulbs of the cross... and some very intense eyes looking back at you. Stiffen those shoulders, and the point lunges forward a few inches, instantly, and nearly undetected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Alexandria, VA USA
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 4,153

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
You just can't percieve, nor judge, how far away that tip is! I can so totally see why Langer Ort is good to utilize if you want your enemy to keep his distance. Especially since he automatically backs away when faced with that nearly invisible point!


But a good, well-timed schielhau against langen ort is just so cool for countering it! Cool

I'm also loving my Talhoffer. This is one that Master Hans himself would have been proud to be the namesake of!

Virginia Academy of Fencing Historical Swordsmanship
--German Longsword & Italian Rapier in the DC Area--


"A despondent heart will always be defeated regardless of skill."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
You just can't percieve, nor judge, how far away that tip is! I can so totally see why Langer Ort is good to utilize if you want your enemy to keep his distance. Especially since he automatically backs away when faced with that nearly invisible point!


But a good, well-timed schielhau against langen ort is just so cool for countering it! Cool

I'm also loving my Talhoffer. This is one that Master Hans himself would have been proud to be the namesake of!


Thank you for reminding me about the schielhauen, Bill. Big Grin I forgot to mention those. Schielhau just feels so right when performed with the Talhoffer.
View user's profile
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Joachim, the Talhoffer is yet another of the pieces I got to play with a couple of weeks ago. Like you, I seriously dig this blade type, and am pretty excited about this particular hilting combo, too.


Yep. Gotta love that hilt. I've been looking for a hilt like that for a long time.

Quote:
The mini-review you posted is great - I could follow your thoughts right along with my experience handling this guy, and you are dead on. If I wasn't so damned overextended with other projects and holidays right now, this would be at the top of my list - at least of pieces now in production. Currently, the Knecht ( Eek! ), the Munich ( Cool ), the Mair and Liechtenauer ( Big Grin & Big Grin ) are on order, and I have the "creme'-de-la-creme', yes, you can start hating me now" custom piece in the works. I'm flat busted broke... this week, anyway. Razz


Thanks. Big Grin Yeah, the Talhoffer is kinda a must-have! At least in my book. Not to mention the fact that up until now the type XVa blades have been seriously under-represented on the sword market. Love the blade, love the hilt, gonna marry the handling characteristics.

And yes: I hate you know. Razz

Quote:
Back on topic here... Langer Ort has got to be downright nauseating to be facing with this piece... all you see is a midline glint and the bulbs of the cross... and some very intense eyes looking back at you. Stiffen those shoulders, and the point lunges forward a few inches, instantly, and nearly undetected.


I totally agree. I believe my exact words when Mike "threw" the Langer Ort at me was: "I can't see the blade. It's just not there. All I see is a black hole where it should be." A terrifying experience to say the least. I'm glad we weren't about to throw down for real. With the Talhoffer you can cut very quickly from Langer Ort too. Eek!

And what's up with that new avatar of yours, Aaron? You look really dangerous in that one. Compared to your old one where you looked meek and timid. Razz Big Grin
View user's profile


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Talhoffer
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2020 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum