Go to page Previous  1, 2

I haven't heard MRMA before. HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) is often used, as are the terms historical fencing, historical swordsmanship and historical swordplay. Ultimately as long as it's clear what you're talking about, you can call it what you like.

To get back to the original question about the origins of martial arts, a martial art is a systematic method of fighting that can be taught (I don't see that sporting contests are at all necessary in defining a martial art - some would claim that when sporting contests appear it ceases to be a martial art and becomes a martial sport - nor does a formal school or master student relationship need to be present, if one person is teaching systematic fighting skills to another, then a martial art exists). Therefore martial arts probably originated when caveman Ogg taught his cool moves to caveman Zogg.

Cheers
Stephen
Stephen Hand wrote:
I haven't heard MRMA before.

That is probably because Martin just made it up right now. ;)
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Stephen Hand wrote:
I haven't heard MRMA before.

That is probably because Martin just made it up right now. ;)

Yepp;)

Martin
Stephen Hand wrote:
Therefore martial arts probably originated when caveman Ogg taught his cool moves to caveman Zogg.

Yes! The dreaded Ogg-ryu of Pleistocene times! I understand that this paleolithic school of combat featured the following curricula:

fist-jutsu

stone-jutsu

club-jutsu

In addition, there were "secret" moves, like the Austrailopithicus Stomp and the Neanderthal Noogie.

;) :)
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: