Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Allectus Mainz Gladius Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
...Holly is historically accurate and we can get them dead-on every time....

And the holly looks great, too!
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GGAAAAHHHHHH (Drooling, snickering and swallowing sounds)

My Presioussss.....

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the positive remarks.

The NG romans differ in subtle ways from their first gen counterparts.

As has been noted, the grips are now holly and not bone. It´s as Howy said a matter of availability and workability of the bone. There is also a health issue.
It is a bit of a modern convention that a roman sword should have walnut pommel and guard and a grip of bone. It looks nice for sure but it is not really an authentic feature (although I am sure it could have hapened). (Bone grips were common, but also wood grips. I have not been able to make out what was most common.

On the drawing I fell prey to another modern convention: the median lines on the pommel. This is a common feature on modern reproductions (as it looks nice) but again, it is not that common on originals.
When one hold the sword in hand, I think the subtle shapes of the components work toghether well in creating visual interest even without these lines.

Before I started the final design work I searched for additional material. I made a trip to Copenhagen to see the exhibition "Spoils of War" that presented the danish bog finds with all the roman military equipment. There were numerous blades and hilt component exhibited. Very interesting.
While there were no clean cut Mainz, Fulham or Pompei swords, it was still possible to get an impression of shapes, styles and characters of roman hilts spanning most of the imperial period.
I tried to use the impressions from this exhibit when working with the final design of the hilts (this will be more directly applicable when I get to the spathae).
Another point of reference is a gladius or spatha hilt in the British Museum. It is carved out of one single piece of ivory. Its grip is simply turned with a round section (this one is the direct inspiration for the grips of the NG gladii). The tubular grip is something I´ve seen on other roman swords as well. I was at first worried by this feature as I thought an oval section was necessary for proper edge alignement.
During the development of the gladii I tried out various shapes and sizes for the different parts. The effect and functionality of the turned grip was a surprice: the shape of the guard and to some degree the pommel actually provide all the purchase and guide you need for secure edge alignement. It is very tactile and intuitive. No need to adjust the grip, it naturally sits very fimrly with perfect alignement of the edge. The pommel provides good support in a horisontal stabbing attack, but does not hinder an overhead sweeping cut. The curve and radius of the pommel allowes free movement of the wrist.
After working with these hilts for some time I was impresed by the simple and very effective use of shapes and proportions. It tok soem experimentation to get it where I think it should be. Like viking hilts the roman swords have a striking and very typical shape, but there are some finess in how it is made, it is an interesting study. The romans obviously had some idea of what they were doing...;-)

The blades for these swords are also different from the first gen conterparts. I have based the designs on those specimen I have had opportunity to see close or handle (not many!) but also examples I´ve seen in museum desplays. Added to this whatever papers on the topic I have had access to.
The leaf shape of the Mainz and Fulham patterns is sublte. In many reproductions the waist and flair are pretty exaggerated. The lines on originals follow more gentle curves. This to me makes all the difference, and I have tried to make justice to this feature in these blades.
There is also some thought invested in cross sections of the blade blanks and the management of distal taper. You sometime hear that roman swords did not have distal taper. I do not know where this idea comes from. It is true the distal taper is not very pronounced, but on all the originals I´ve seen it is obvious there if you look for it. Some archaeological drawings of originals do not show this feature, but I have some suspicion this is not a true reflection of the originals in this respect.
The distal taper is not linear. It starts out concave and turns into a convex distal taper towards the point. The point is thick enough to form into a sturdy stabbing point, but the management of the distribution of mass makes a marked difference in handling. The Mainz and Fulham are similar in feel: the Mainz is the heftier oner (slightly), but both are agile and powerful choppers with good point controll. Compact and very aggressive swords with (surprisingly?) good cutting performance and very good manouverability.
The Pompei was perhaps the biggest surprice of these three. But more of that later...
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter.

You're teasing us with the Pompeii. . . Razz

So, how far along are the spathae?
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
On the drawing I fell prey to another modern convention: the median lines on the pommel. This is a common feature on modern reproductions (as it looks nice) but again, it is not that common on originals.
When one hold the sword in hand, I think the subtle shapes of the components work toghether well in creating visual interest even without these lines.

Certainly looks like it to me. I actually quite like the way the absent lines don't interrupt and break the graceful globular shape of the pommel. And, of course, it's always nice to see something slightly different from existing specimens on the market - those lines are very nigh universally present on all other repro gladii I've seen.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
GGAAAAHHHHHH (Drooling, snickering and swallowing sounds)

My Presioussss.....

Somehow I just knew you'd react that way... Razz
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice looking piece, but the Roman stuff just ain't my thing. I'm waiting for a migration-flavored spatha.

Brian M
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Nice looking piece, but the Roman stuff just ain't my thing. I'm waiting for a migration-flavored spatha.

Brian M

How come I´d expected you to say that? Wink Cool
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Thanks, Peter.

You're teasing us with the Pompeii. . . Razz

So, how far along are the spathae?

I will be working with Steve on the blades as I visit Albion in November. After that it´s just a matter how quickly we can get the prototypes machined and shipped to me for final hilt design.
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's the finest proportions I've seen in a gladius, even custom ones. Many times this hilt type just comes out looking wierd.
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got to handle one each of the Pedite and Mainze when I was at Albion's shop last week. They are both very light and fast in the hand. Light years ahead of the Windlass models I have held. I am suprised to see the Mainze weighs more. In hand it felt a little lighter to me. Also a suprise was the fact that the round grips felt perfectly normal. I expected them to feel odd.
Peter Busch

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

This is why I had originally suggested African Blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon) when you asked for suggestions, as this would have provided an 'ebony' guard and pommel. I think the black timber contrasts much more nicely with the holly or boxwood than walnut with its reddish brown appearance. This would also have been historically more accurate as well ..

Now african blackwood with ivory .. well now .... ;-)

"A sunken vessel was found somewhere in the Eastern Mediterranean with a cargo of (among other things) wooden billets that were analysed as blackwood. The key thing is that the cargo manifest was also found with the vessel carved on a clay tablet in Egyptian hieroglyphics, listing ebony as part of the cargo. The hieroglyphics transliterate as HBNI and the etymology of "ebony" is from Egyptian via Greek ..." (http://www.blackwoodconservation.org/tree.html)

Very nice gladii anyway Peter, I've been following your progress over the years from first being mentioned on swordforum.com years ago (90's) by Bjorn ... to where you are now, keep up the good work ...!

Peter Johnsson wrote:

It is a bit of a modern convention that a roman sword should have walnut pommel and guard and a grip of bone. It looks nice for sure but it is not really an authentic feature (although I am sure it could have hapened). (Bone grips were common, but also wood grips. I have not been able to make out what was most common.

http://www.swordforum.com/fall99/1865.html
http://www.oakeshott.org/1831art.html
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just received a shortish white box via UPS a couple of hours ago. It was my long-awaited Allectus which I'd originally ordered in April or May. You Albion guys have done yet another beautiful job! The holly grip is especially pleasing, much better than bone in my opinion, and the blade is perfect. It is a very light, quick, responsive sword. Thanks, guys, it was well worth the wait.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert B. Allison wrote:
I just received a shortish white box via UPS a couple of hours ago. It was my long-awaited Allectus ....

Congratulations! Tell us more! Tell us more! Pictures! Pictures! Big Grin
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Robert B. Allison wrote:
I just received a shortish white box via UPS a couple of hours ago. It was my long-awaited Allectus ....

Congratulations! Tell us more! Tell us more! Pictures! Pictures! Big Grin

Not wanting to be too much the wet-blanket, but I haven't yet figured out how to post pictures. But mine would certainly be inferior to those posted at the beginning of this thread. The blade is, in my opinion, magnificent. It is wider and more of a presence than I anticipated.....which is, as Martha Stewart would say, a good thing as far as I'm concerned. But speaking of things feminine, the four women to whom I have shown the sword, to wit, my secretary, my ex wife, my daughter and my girlfriend, have all, independently and somewhat surprisingly, reacted in exactly the same way. Each of them, with no prompting or consultation or clueing from anyone as far as I know, said "Ooohhh, it looks just like a pepper-mill." which is in reference to the pommel. I dunno, maybe Albion needs to carve an eagle or a skull or something macho on there to make it appear more manly!
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert B. Allison wrote:
But speaking of things feminine, the four women to whom I have shown the sword, to wit, my secretary, my ex wife, my daughter and my girlfriend, have all, independently and somewhat surprisingly, reacted in exactly the same way. Each of them, with no prompting or consultation or clueing from anyone as far as I know, said "Ooohhh, it looks just like a pepper-mill." which is in reference to the pommel. I dunno, maybe Albion needs to carve an eagle or a skull or something macho on there to make it appear more manly!

They have a point.

Big Grin

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert B. Allison wrote:
Each of them, with no prompting or consultation or clueing from anyone as far as I know, said "Ooohhh, it looks just like a pepper-mill." which is in reference to the pommel. I dunno, maybe Albion needs to carve an eagle or a skull or something macho on there to make it appear more manly!

Rather than change the historically accurate appearance, we have decided to integrate a pepper grinder into the hilt. It will be handy for sneaking up on people at banquets...

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

Rather than change the historically accurate appearance, we have decided to integrate a pepper grinder into the hilt. It will be handy for sneaking up on people at banquets...

Best,

Howy

It will also be a sword you can bring to the dinner table.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

... the image of Cassius and Brutus standing on either side of Caesar offering pepper for his salad popped into my warped head... Razz

Nice, Howy...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert B. Allison wrote:
"Ooohhh, it looks just like a pepper-mill."

"Would you like fresh pepper on your caesar salad?"

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Allectus Mainz Gladius
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: