Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Agincourt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Nice looking design. Ugly grip color though. Wink

What!! Red isn't everyone's favorite color. Ooooooo Wink Happy Tell you what, it is not going to be red for much longer...after I get my hands on it (technically I mean after the sweat from my hands gets on it).

I got the word form Mike that this is MY sword Happy

Alexi
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
What!! Red isn't everyone's favorite color. Ooooooo Wink Happy Tell you what, it is not going to be red for much longer...after I get my hands on it (technically I mean after the sweat from my hands gets on it).

It knocks my Regent out of first place for the most arrogantly red grip... Wink

Oh, and Alexi - it will still be quite red... just more like this...

... and will darken more over time.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a very good looking sword.

I already have a Castellan, so another XVa won't be in my sights for a while. If I was going to get one of the slim XVa's, I'd go for the Talhoffer.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Oh boy that full length is pretty!!! I'm torn, Agincourt or Talhoffer.........

...Talhoffer. Happy

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howy, any impressions on how this handles compared to the shorter XVa's?

That's one pretty sword; the Talhoffer and RIngeck should be really sweet.

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing... The Agincourt         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

and here are the specs:

Agincourt Specifications
Overall length: 46.25" (117.5 cm)
Blade length: 36.25" (92 cm)
Blade Width: 1.875" (4.76 cm)
CoB: 3.375" (8.57 cm)
CoP: 21.375" (54 cm)
Weight: 3 lbs 7 oz (1.56 kilos)

Yeah, I just checked-out the Agincourt's page. The Agincourt with the black grip looks absolutely sinister and malicious! I love it!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Havign heard from Mike at Albion that my Agincourt would soon be shipping I started to go through my books in search of a suitable scabbard design. When I got to Osprey Publishings "English Longbowman 1330-1515" (written by Clive Bartlett and illustrated by Gerry Embleton) I suddenly realised that one of the swords on the cover was very familiar in apperance. The swords certainly are similar enough to me to be curious if there is any kind of connection between then or if the there is an original sword which both Peter Johnsson and Gerry Embleton just happens to have studied. Happy

Attachment: 61.65 KB
agincourt_and_scabbard.jpg

Last edited by Daniel Staberg on Sun 16 Oct, 2005 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
Havign heard from Mike at Albion that my Agincourt would soon be shipping I started to go through my books in search of a suitable scabbard design. When I got to Osprey Publishings "English Longbowman 1330-1515" (written by Clive Bartlett and illustrated by Gerry Embleton) I suddenly realised that one of the swords on the cover was very familiar in apperance. The swords certainly are similar enough to me to be curious if there is any kind of connection between then or if the there is an original sowrd which both Peter Johnsson and Gerry Embleton just happens to have studied. Happy

Hej Daniel!

Glad to hear your agincourt are on the way. I am looking forward to hear your reaction on the sword. I think you will like it...

Interesting illustration!

The Agincourt is based on details from a couple of diferent swords. I think this is how Gerry works as illustrator as well: he studies the material very thoroughly and makes notes of styles and themes. The intention for the Agincourt is that it chould be a very classic type for the period and still have a presonal charachter.
I think that is the reason you see the likeness. The overall shape and type is vry common. The cross guard as well. The combination of this type of blade, pommel and cross are often seen.
Perhaps there *is* an actual sword swomewhere that is the predecessor of both Gerry´s and my design? (and who knows, perhaps Gerry *did* draw a specific sword in the illustration?)

Anyways: Much joy with your sword when it arrives!
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since this thread has resurfaced, I'll ask my question again. Peter of Howy, do you have any impressions on how this sword handles compared to the shorter XVa's? Thanks.
"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Taylor wrote:
Since this thread has resurfaced, I'll ask my question again. Peter of Howy, do you have any impressions on how this sword handles compared to the shorter XVa's? Thanks.

I think I have answered this before in some detail, but I could not even find it myself in the large pile of NG related threads... Eek!
The Long XVa´s share the quick character of the shorter model. Being longer swords, you use them slightly different, though at greater distance, but you can close in using half sword techniques. These long XVa blades were designed with half sword techniques in mind.

The point controll is similar to the shorter blades, I would say. The longer blade is managed effectively by the long grip.
They are rather hefty swords, but the mass is not evident when you wield them. They feel much lighter than actual weight. The point is light, but stiff and sturdy. The base of the blade is very sturdy and thick and togheter with the long grip and massive pommels this results in forward pivot point (the one corresponding to the grip close to the guard) located very close to the tip of the blades. The aft pivot point (the one in the blade corresponing to the grip close to the pommel) is located well behind the blade node.
This means that you get very good point control, and that the sword is still ivery quick in changing direction in swings (you use your left hand when turning the sword around and that makes the aft pivot point come into play and effectively "shortens" the blade to half its length).

To sum up: there are similarities as could be expected from sword from the same type family. The long XVa´s are going to be like big brothers to their shoter siblings.
What sword you feel most attracted to is a matter of temperament and preference: do you prefer shorter weapons or do you like the extra reach (and power?) you get with a longer blade? The shrter XVa´s have more of bastard sword character as well: not impossible to wield with one hand for the odd cut or thrust. The longer ones are not really inviting such techniques. Even if they typically would be labeled hand and a hlaf swords, I´d say the normal use is with two hands.
If used from horse back, that is another matter. Then single hand use could be feasible as cutting will be focusing on that one cut. The good point control would also be an advantage on horseback.

They are cut and thrust sword with emphasis on thrust. You can deliver killing cuts with little effort, even if it takes more practise to deal amputating cuts (...than with a great broad and thin-bladed XIIIa).

To describe the long Xva´s in two words I´d say: Agressive & Agile. That awl point is making a statement three feet in front of you...
Among the most responsive sword types you´ll find. For me the type comes very close to the epitome of the late medieval longsword.

Hope this helps
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, I couldn't find it either, which is why I asked. As usual, your responses are thorough and very informative. You told me exactly what i was looking for. Thanks so much.
Daniel Staberg

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Hej Daniel!

Glad to hear your agincourt are on the way. I am looking forward to hear your reaction on the sword. I think you will like it...

Interesting illustration!

The Agincourt is based on details from a couple of diferent swords. I think this is how Gerry works as illustrator as well: he studies the material very thoroughly and makes notes of styles and themes. The intention for the Agincourt is that it chould be a very classic type for the period and still have a presonal charachter.
I think that is the reason you see the likeness. The overall shape and type is vry common. The cross guard as well. The combination of this type of blade, pommel and cross are often seen.
Perhaps there *is* an actual sword swomewhere that is the predecessor of both Gerry´s and my design? (and who knows, perhaps Gerry *did* draw a specific sword in the illustration?)

Anyways: Much joy with your sword when it arrives!

Hej Peter,

So it was 'simply' a case of great minds thinking alike Wink (based on a similar material). Even without having gotten my hands on the sword I'd say that you and the people at Albion succeded in giving the Agincourt a personal charachter, even as wax the hilt and guard caught my eye, I'm especilly fond of the the shape the guard is given by the "ridge" (probably not the correct word for it) that runs across it. I looking forward to examing it in real life though since photos however good are no substitute of having the sword in your hand.

Your descriptions of the Agincourts handling charachteristics was very interesting reading though it made the waitning even harder Wink Ever since I recently began to study the use of the longsword the use of half-sword techniques has intrigued me and readign about them and the performance of the swords use that way has provided new insights to the role of the sword in the melees in battle such as Azincourt and Vernuil. Mass combat between armoured men-at-arms must have been an infernal event which profundly affected those that survived the experience. It's small wonder that medieval man saw the outcome of a battle as divine judgement.

More to follow as soon as the Agincourt arrives, I just hope the Swedish weather stays decent so I can get some natural light for the photos.

Cheers
Daniel
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Am I dreaming or did the Agincourt's price dramatically increase? It's now 650$ on Albion's site and I could swear it was a lot less just a week ago.

Cheers,

David
David Etienne

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Howard,

Thank you for your answer. I was suspecting something like that. If only I did not hesitate so much and did place an order before the 20th of september, when the Agincourt's price was around 450$... Damn! I was just saving money for it, and now I will have to switch for another model.

Cheers,

David

Last edited by David Etienne on Mon 17 Oct, 2005 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Etienne wrote:
Am I dreaming or did the Agincourt's price dramatically increase? It's now 650$ on Albion's site and I could swear it was a lot less just a week ago.

Cheers,

David

Hey David!

Unfortunately, we did have to raise the price on the Agincourt. Our prices are based on the materials and labor that goes into each sword -- in the case of the Agincourt, the final design changed resulting in an increase in the time it takes to put each one together.

As we always do, all existing orders will be honored at the original price.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Daniel Staberg

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Hej Daniel!

The Agincourt arrived today, it's too late to write anything near a real review so I'll be brief.
Surprised Exclamation Eek! Eek! Eek! Big Grin Cool

I do like it a lot, it's my first Albion NextGen, it sure won't be my last. Very well done all who were involved in designing and making this fine sword.

Longer review to follow in a separate thread.

Cheers
Daniel
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
...The Agincourt arrived today, it's too late to write anything near a real review so I'll be brief.
Surprised Exclamation Eek! Eek! Eek! Big Grin Cool ....

Congratulations, Daniel!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin Gratulerar Daniel!! Big Grin
For your first Albion sword, i bet you have that one under your pillow this night. Eek! Razz

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Howard,

I like the new photos of the Agincourt on your site. Looks much better with a black grip. Wink Just curious, but when a customer orders a sword from Albion, which grip color is the most popular?

Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Hey Howard,

I like the new photos of the Agincourt on your site. Looks much better with a black grip. Wink Just curious, but when a customer orders a sword from Albion, which grip color is the most popular?

Ted

Hi Ted,

I can only tell you what the current orders look like. At the moment black appears to be the preferred color choice but that changes week to week. Black and oxblood are probably the slight favorites overall but the browns are very close behind.

Interestingly, I have noticed an increase in the number of orders with brighter colors (blue, red, green, etc.). Personally, I really like the swords made with these color grips.

Harlan

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Agincourt
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: