Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Sep 19: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of the features for this week's site update, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
64%
 64%  [ 27 ]
Very Good
28%
 28%  [ 12 ]
Good
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 42

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Sep 19: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Western Martial Arts Workshop 2005

A report by Bill Grandy

Arms & Armor Knightly Riding Sword

A hands-on review by Chad Arnow

Albion Armorers Solingen Sword

A hands-on review by David Kite

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although it's always great to read reviews, I really liked the report on the WMAW. I always love reading about gatherings like this. Great update all around guys.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Additional photos of the The Western Martial Arts Workshop can be found in our WMAW 2005 Event Photo Album.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent! I really enjoyed the WMAW piece, and I have been looking forward to a review of the Solingen for a long time! Thanks, folks!
Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Solingen Review         Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

Your reviews are generally very helpful and well done. On the Solingen review there was some test cutting against another sword, indian made helmet and buckler mentioned. I really think this a great idea. Especially the test against another blade and against a buckler are most interesting. Please do keep this up if possible. The damage (or lack of) should be documented by a photo or two and be better described. After all the swords you review are intended to use and so it is most important to know how they will perform if used properly. That includes test cutting of bottles, mats, wet newspaper etc but also against other blades and armour. To judge the workmanship one has to put the blade to use. This is - among other things - what makes "myArmoury" so important.

Keep on your good work

Herbert

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
David Kite

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks.

And technically, it was Indian-made maille, not a helmet. Wink Since I don't have any pieces of plate armor, the buckler had the double duty of acting as a stand-in for plate.

I was actually quite surprised by the damage (and lack thereof) myself. I should still have the test-cutting photos somewhere, if I can find them. If you're interested I can try posting a couple or email some to you.

I also think it's important to perform test cutting on weapons, but one important thing to keep in mind is that probably most of the forumites here are collectors, and so are likely unwilling to put their weapons through such wanton damage, unless maybe they plan on artificially ageing the piece anyway. I empathize with that; it was very difficult to beat the crap out of the most expensive item I've ever bought. But I now my confidence in Albion has been justified.

Glad you enjoyed the review.

David Kite
ARMA in IN
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Solingen Review         Reply with quote

Herbert Schmidt wrote:
On the Solingen review there was some test cutting against another sword, indian made helmet and buckler mentioned. I really think this a great idea. Please do keep this up if possible. The damage (or lack of) should be documented by a photo or two and be better described. After all the swords you review are intended to use and so it is most important to know how they will perform if used properly. That includes test cutting of bottles, mats, wet newspaper etc but also against other blades and armour. To judge the workmanship one has to put the blade to use. This is - among other things - what makes "myArmoury" so important.

Herbert,
David's review was well-done and contained great information. We owe him a debt for being willing to do that level of testing; I know I learned from it (especially since the documented damage occurred at my house Happy ).

Unfortunately, though, I doubt this kind of information will become standard in our reviews for a variety of reasons. Even good swords will receive some damage in the kind of tests David did; that's normal and is documented in historical literature and in surviving examples that show battle damage. This damage takes time and money to fix (if it can be fixed) and some fixes will leave visible signs or scars.

myArmoury.com doesn't buy swords for review; there's just no money for that. Some swords we review are lent by makers who intend to sell them once we return them. Others are lent by readers of this site who want their belongings returned in the same state they were lent out in as well. Others are owned by reviewers themselves. Some of us are more collectors than practitioners, as David mentioned, and many enjoy the looks and resale value of undamaged weapons. Happy

So putting the sword to use in a review must be done according to the wishes of the sword's owner, whether that's the maker, a lender, or the reviewer. If people will lend us swords and allow us to do severe and/or destructive testing, you'll likely see more of this kind of info. If more readers want to review their own swords and submit the review to us, as David did, you may also see more of this valuable info.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Kite wrote:
Thanks.

And technically, it was Indian-made maille, not a helmet. Wink Since I don't have any pieces of plate armor, the buckler had the double duty of acting as a stand-in for plate.

I was actually quite surprised by the damage (and lack thereof) myself. I should still have the test-cutting photos somewhere, if I can find them. If you're interested I can try posting a couple or email some to you.

I also think it's important to perform test cutting on weapons, but one important thing to keep in mind is that probably most of the forumites here are collectors, and so are likely unwilling to put their weapons through such wanton damage, unless maybe they plan on artificially ageing the piece anyway. I empathize with that; it was very difficult to beat the crap out of the most expensive item I've ever bought. But I now my confidence in Albion has been justified.

Glad you enjoyed the review.

David Kite
ARMA in IN

Hey David!

Great review! Very thorough and well presented!

I was particularly interested in the hard target testing. I would be more than willing to have other review swords put through the same testing regimen, now that we have a better flow of parts to make up "extra" swords.

Also -- one little note -- in the review it says "The tang passes through a rivet block, shaped into a low pyramid, atop the pommel. " In the case of the Solingen, there is no rivet block added -- the pyramid is actually the end of the tang, peened into the shape of a pyramid on the top of the pommel.

Again, fantastic job!

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
David Kite

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

Also -- one little note -- in the review it says "The tang passes through a rivet block, shaped into a low pyramid, atop the pommel. " In the case of the Solingen, there is no rivet block added -- the pyramid is actually the end of the tang, peened into the shape of a pyramid on the top of the pommel.

Again, fantastic job!

Best,

Howy

Hunh! I guess it does say that. I need to pay attention to my own writing apparently.

David Kite
GFS, ARMA in IN
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Arms & Armor Knightly Riding Sword         Reply with quote

I have the Knightly Riding Sword and I find that it handles wih ease in dexterity, it is very fast and I have great point control with it. This is a very slim lined sword which adds to it's light weight, I believe it weighs 2.4 lbs, while still boasting a long blade. I especially like using this sword along with my spiked buckler from Arms & Armor, this is a fantastic sword to practice sword and shield battle tactics.
Though I am new to the European medieval weaponry world, I am a recent black belt in karate which I earned last October, I also had a brown belt in Kenpo Karate back in my late teens. My point of this is, that I have a lot of experience with weaponry, poise, balance, coordination, speed, etc. From my extensive training it is a natural capacity to adapt to a weapon.
I personally love the looks and feel of the Knightly Riding Sword and I would never consider selling or trading it for any reason. I was looking for a light and fast sword, I called Arms & Armor and spoke with Craig and told him what I wanted, he referred me to this sword and I am most grateful to Craig for his advice. From the moment I picked this sword up it was an extension of my arm and with ease I adapted to it.
I find the pommel and crossguard design very pleasing to the eye and both can be used quite adequately for close in bind fighting.

Overall, I think this is a great sword and no you cannot buy it from me!

Sincerely,

Bob Burns

Attachment: 40.86 KB
[ Download ]
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 24 Sep, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Arms & Armor Knightly Riding Sword         Reply with quote

Bob,
Thanks for your input on the sword. As you can see, each person can have a different, yet valid, opinion of an item. Each person brings a unique set of physical, mental, and experiential elements to their use of a particular weapon. It's important for all the readers to keep this in mind as they read reviews. These reviews are the opinion of the reviewer, based on his or her experience with one example of that sword. Other people's mileage may vary, and quite widely.

Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For anyone interested, I just added a bunch of new photos that I'd forgotten about from WMAW to the photo album.

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Sep 19: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic