New basket Hilted Swords from Gus Trim
I have two temporary pages with two new basket hilted swords from Gus Trim. One is a double-edged basket hilt based on a sword from Mary Rose.

The other one is a Schiavona sword with a backsword blade.

here are the links

the basket hilt
http://www.leesarmoury.com/atb.htm

the schiavona
http://www.leesarmoury.com/ats.htm

If anyone has any questions let me know.

Lee

Last edited by Lee Reeves on Sun 02 Oct, 2005 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Hi Lee

Are those baskets by Eljay ?

Thanks, Mac
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Are those baskets by Eljay ?

No, They're not. From what I remember, and I'll have to be corrected or confirmed on this one, they were made by somebody fairly local to Gus.
Like Nathan said, they're not mine. However, I did send off two baskets to Angus on Wednesday: one of the English ribbon construction of the 1600s, and one Scottish S-hilt ca. 1730. I'll be sending a proto-mort and a Scots ribbon hilt to him by (hopefully) the middle of October, then in December a couple of new style prototypes that haven't been replicated before.

--ElJay
They look nice,
the schiavona looks very quick at 2.2pounds,i expected a heavier sword from looking at the pic,
nice, :cool:
Eljay,
any reference for those new prototypes,?
E.B. Erickson wrote:
Like Nathan said, they're not mine. However, I did send off two baskets to Angus on Wednesday: one of the English ribbon construction of the 1600s, and one Scottish S-hilt ca. 1730. I'll be sending a proto-mort and a Scots ribbon hilt to him by (hopefully) the middle of October, then in December a couple of new style prototypes that haven't been replicated before.

--ElJay

The Proto-Mort's mine. :D Interested in the prototypes too.
Thanks, Guys !

I didn't think they were by you, Eljay, as the construction and look are not nearly as refined !

Pretty decent work, though ..... I wonder who Gus is using ?

I look forward to seeing the pieces you did for Gus, as well as the ones you will be doing !
(afterall, I must keep my album of your work updated ;-)

Have a nice Sunday, everyone ! (or is it Monday now for you, E.B. :-) Mac
It is a quick sword. I do have an extra backsword blade that could be mounted to that hilt, that would add some weight and lenght to the blade. If anyone were interested in that option I could sent along more information. Attached is a photo of the blade.

The hilts are made by someone local to Gus.

Lee

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
They look nice,
the schiavona looks very quick at 2.2pounds,i expected a heavier sword from looking at the pic,
nice, :cool:
Eljay,
any reference for those new prototypes,?

Attachment: 36.43 KB
bsblade1.JPG

Hi Lee

Might you have a photo that shows the forward guard(s) attachment ?

It looks to be a bit different than the norm, but perhaps it's just the photo that makes me think that ?

Thanks for the preview, Mac

[ Linked Image ]
hilt
I have these photos of the sword. I can take more photos of they do not answer your questions.

Lee

Attachment: 37.6 KB
atb3.JPG

Attachment: 35.57 KB
atb4.JPG

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Hi Lee

Might you have a photo that shows the forward guard(s) attachment ?

It looks to be a bit different than the norm, but perhaps it's just the photo that makes me think that ?

Thanks for the preview, Mac

I thought the forward guards looked a bit too, but what also seems a bit off, is that the saltire bars at the blade end are connected to the rear guard, and not the side-knuckleguard. I can't remember seeing that before.
Does the schiavona have a thumb ring? I didn't see one but it may be obscured in the photo.
Roger Hooper wrote:
Does the schiavona have a thumb ring? I didn't see one but it may be obscured in the photo.

Roger, yes the schiavona has a thrump ring.

Lee

Attachment: 36.11 KB
asthilt2.JPG

For some reason I've never been all that attracted to schiavonas, but that one was neat! Definitely the nicest one I've ever seen! Congrats to Lee for the acquisition and to Gus for the work!
I going
to have the backsword blade mounted with an English basket hilt guard from Scott Wilson. I'll post a picture of the completed sword.

Lee
the
schiavona sword is gone.

Lee
yesterday
I went though the the Gus Trim Swords on my site and lowered the prices on the older models.

Lee

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: