Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!Contest
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: "ello         Reply with quote

"ello Nathan,
William Goodwin
Roanoke (pronounced Rowan-oak) Va.

U-C LOTR Series
Witch king
Glamdring
Sting
Narsil
Hadhafang
(1) rapier used for re-enactments
(1) India basket-hilt for re-enactments
Wall Hangers
Excaliur (short Version)
two-handed claymore
Toledo Great Captain replica
( 1) antique Itialian ceremonial early 20th century
Paul Chen Mortuary Hilt (sharp version)

Interests

cast member of the Va. Ren-Fair Elizabethan nobles guild (portray Sir William FitzWillaim - Knight & Lord Deputy of Ireland)
state convenor for Clan Keith (So. Western part of the state)
Scottish history
Celtic music (play guitar with a local Welsh fiddle group)
Western Martial Arts

Glad to be here! Cheers!
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is Allen Johnson. I was directed to this site through Nathan Robinson's post on Sword Forum International when he started it. Though I post little (don't really have that much to add) I visit the site almost on a daily basis and look forward to all updates and articles. This is a great thing. My current collection is modest as I have a modest income and am moving out of the low end replica world into the more demanding and costly areas. I currently own a MRL Culloden Steel Baskethilt, MRL Scottish Backsword, and a TCA Clamshell Rapier. Obviously my fave stuff is the Scottish blades. Though I'm currently expanding my horizons as I currently am training in longsword and sword and buckler. Thanks for all you guys offer for us in educating everyone. Cheers -Allen Johnson
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, I am Aaron Justice.

I am just starting to learn the intricacies of swords. I could probably hold my own in a conversation of intellectual elites in this field, and I have enough knowledge to greatly impress those with little to no knowledge. I was in a bidding war a week or so back for this same sword on eBay, with the blued fittings and oxblood grip too. Now I have a very slim chance at getting one for free.

My collection includes:

Various LOTR collectible swords
Albion Hastings Sword
Albion Crecy Grete Swerde (coming soon, already paid)
Del Tin 2102
Paul Chen Godfred Viking Sword
Paul Chen Practical Knight and Viking swords
Windlass Albrecht II war sword
Windlass European Sword
Windlass Viking Seax
Windlass Coustille sword

On hold for an ADT 5154 (Braveheart claymore)

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
James Owen

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G'day Evereyone

My interest is swords and armour go back about as far as i can remember. I'm mainly interested in historical reproductions and as such have only 1 sword, a deltin rapier (can't remember the model number) i also have two swords on order from armart, a customised s4 and bronze sword. I make a living as a carpenter and like to make wasters from exotic timber.

Goo luck
David Carlyon

PostPosted: Wed 19 Nov, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Hello         Reply with quote

I'm David Carlyon, and I'm particularly interested in Bronze Age through Classical Era Greece, and lately Scottish and Irish weaponry. My collection is quite small. I only have a Del Tin Falcata. I got a Kukri for my brother a couple of Christmases ago. Some day, when I hope to have more disposable income, I hope to build up a collection.

David
Jamie Fellrath

PostPosted: Wed 19 Nov, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Introduction         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm Jamie Fellrath, an ARMA member and leader of the Columbus, OH ARMA Study Group. I'm fairly new to swordsmanship and WMA, so I've not actually started an official collection yet. I'll be looking for blunts for training and sharps for test cutting, soon. I'm not too interested in wall-hangers.

My personal interest lies in the mid-to-late 14th century longsword at the moment, though I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Scottish blades such as the Claymore and the basket-hilt.

Swords I'm interested in, include:

Albion Arms Crecy Grete Sword
Albion Agincourt Type XVa
Del Tin's 2142, 2143, 2146, 2147, 5140 Hand and a Halfs
Lutel's 15000 series Hand and a Halfs
MRL's German and Irish Hand and a Halfs

Looking forward to talking with everyone...
Jamie

Jamie Fellrath
ARMA - Columbus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Borger Kruge

PostPosted: Wed 19 Nov, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

My name is Borger Kruge, I started collecting medieval european arms about a year ago. My motivation is a 1/3 historic interest, 1/3 interest in weapons, and 1/3 metallurgy. So far I've collected 3 medieval bastards, and one low-end katana. My swords are tested regularly against such historic targets as water bottles and jugs. I hope to obtain a mace or a flail to my collection next. I have my eyes on Lutel at this time.

My modest collection is:

AT1459c (Angus Trim/Christian Fletcher)
MS 1504 Marshal (Angus Trim)
Lutel 15018
Paul Chen PPK

Regards,

Borger Kruge
Terry Dolson

PostPosted: Wed 19 Nov, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,
Great site,
I am Terry I live in Northern Ontario, Canada.

Swords,
KC kat
KC baselard
Burmese dha
Hanwei rapier
Hanwei Zatoichi ( no laughing)
Leon Paul Epee and foil
Cold Steel sword cane
Antique Jian
Antique Yataghan
Grosse Messer

Other weapons,
Hanwei bearded axe
Cold Steel mace
Naginata
Various knives, tomahalks, daggers and what-not.
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Nov, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi to everyone!,

My name is James Grubbs and I live in the Southeastern US. Like many involved with this wonderful pursuit, my collection has evolved/grown/shrank over time. I havea background in JSA, so the katana will always be "near and dear" to me. I also enjoy some of the more fantasy inspired custom pieces.My current interests lean more toward the European. To that end, I have a Viking inspired sword by Al Massey as well as a Warder variant from John Lundemo. I have a custom longsword from John in process as well ( sort of my "ideal" for the German longsword method).

Best Regards,

James

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi folks -

I am Gordon Clark and I work near D.C. as a scientific consultant.
I am mostly interested in 14th and 15th century medieval swords. I am involved with a local western martial arts group (MASH) as well as Lord Grey of Codnor's Retinue, a 15th century living history group.

My collection includes

A&A Henry V
A&A English Longsword
A&A Custom Type XX
Lutel German Longsword with writhen pommel (same one as Nathan's collection)
A&A 15th century mace

A 'beater' sword and rapier from Heimrick Armorie and assorted knives/daggers.
I also have a custom sword in the works from Jason D. of Albion that I am very excited about!
Peregrine Dace

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm Peregrine Dace, a biochemistry postgrad student in Durban, South Africa.
My collection currently sits at one ATrim 1420 (courtesy of All Saints), one poor condition antique tulwar i'm trying to restore and assorted JSA bokken.
Hopefully I'll soon (in the next year) be picking up either a nice riding sword (wierd for someone entering this) and/or a teastrainer.

cheers
Peregrine
Erin Burke

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My name is Erin Burke... and I certainly wouldn't frown upon a free sword. Big Grin

I'm an electrical engineer for a small consulting firm here in the Seattle area.

My current sword collection contains the following in the order in which they were acquired:

Deepeeka Bone Handled Rapier
MRL Heron Mark (modified grip)
ATrim MS1503
ATrim Elven Longsword

I have no set sword collecting goals. I get what I like. I tend to look at each new sword as a project (new scabbard here... new guard there... etc.) Keeps me off the streets. Wink

efb
Stewart Feil

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm Stewart Feil. I am the study group director of ARMA Provo, UT. I currently have:

Del Tin 5140 Bastard Sword
Banger cheap Katana
Banger cheap Straight Katana

I am waiting for a Del Tin 5153 VENETIAN INFANTRY SWORD.

I also have:

2 longsword wasters (7 more on the way)
2 Greatsword wasters
1 Cut & Thrust waster
2 Messer wasters
1 Poiniard waster
1 Rondell waster
1 cutting dagger waster.

I would really like to collect two blunts and one sharp for every type of sword that I want to train with. I have been eying Lutel armories hand-and-a-half swords, and am really interested in custom pieces from Paul Champagne and Peter Johnson, but doubt that I will ever really be able to afford that. I would really like at least one antique weapon. Right now I just want high-quality replicas.

Stewart Feil
General Free Scholar
Director ARMA Provo
Megan Feil

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am Megan Feil. I am the liason between ARMA Provo and Brigham Young University Student Association. I have two cheap Katanas and one Longsword waster. I want swords. I really want a blunt and a sharp longsword, and a sharp short sword because I'm short.

Megan
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hello and please forgive me if this comes out a little strange - this is the first time i have ever posted anything to an online message forum. . .

well, my name is Jonathon, and i have been looking around this web site for a while. i guess the lure of an albion riding sword finally caught my interest enough to post. i just stopped by albion's shop a few days ago and after handling one of these swords, i think i could really handle owning one!

anyway, i guess the other attraction i had to posting on this site is my sword collection - i have some questions that i think can only be answered by some experts, especially in the area of antiquities:

i will disregard the myriad of sword like objects and wall hangers that have come and gone from my life. . .
i just picked up a windlass dracula for cheap that i am excited about playing with and have already decided on rehilting
i own a german WWII bayonet circa 1943
i have a complete japanese officer's katana - machined blade, scabbard still covered in its rough field paint job, circa 1945
i have a pair of wicked looking mexican bowies - one long, one short; best guess is circa 1900

. . . and here's where things get a little fuzzy. . . and where i could use some help!

i have what i have been told on good authority is a wakizashi blade with plain storage scabbard, fifteenth century
i also have what i believe to be another wakizashi blade and its tsuba, seventeenth century

now, i grew up in a family of antique dealers and acquired these through family business contacts over the years which is where i take the estimates on vintage on good authority. sadly, this is about all i know about either blade. on the bright side, both of them have clearly visible maker's marks; the problem is that i can't read japanese to save my life and even if i could, wouldn't with confidence be able to tell you a thing about what i'm reading!

so, i figure a few hundred minds more educated than my own might give me a better shot at knowing what i've got on my hands. and, just to let you all know, i have done absolutely nothing save dusting and properly storing any of my antiques, so they are in the same condition as i found them - no terrible messed-up polish jobs, no adventures in cutlery, i haven't even thought of touching them with wd-40. . . alright, the thought crossed my mind once. . . but it passed. . .

oh, lastly, my current sword interests. mostly european styles recently, and much of it to compliment my renaissance faire garb - i've also grown into a bit of a hobbyist armorer (finished my chain hauberk last summer and am currently staring at far more leatherworking supplies than i ever thought i would own!)

Thanks again!
Josh Aldous

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm Josh Aldous. I live in Pennsylvania (near Philly) and I'm a computer geek for a financial wholesaler. I really need to get some hobbies, since right now they're all sedentary activities like watching any of my way-too-numerous DVDs. Wouldn't be too upset about finding some WMA instruction in my area.

Anyway, my sword collection started about 5 years ago (I think), and currently consists of the following:

MRL Schiavona
MRL Military rapier
MRL Bone Handled rapier
MRL Heron Mark sword
**man, I've given them a lot of my money, but I haven't had any of the problems that some people report
some sort of really light, fast short sword, also MRL
Paul Chen Musashi katana
Sal D'Aquila musashi
Del Tin 2140
Del Tin 2152 schiavonesca

Hopefully getting a really nice type XVIIIa soon, then I need to go back and get some other stuff, like a scabbard for my 2140.
I originally liked rapiers, because they're quick and light, and I bought the whole myth about 17th and 18th century swordplay being more refined. Then I discovered what good balance can do for a longer sword -- impressive!
So currently my interests are more in medieval euro swords.
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am Steve Maly, I live in Oklahoma City ( that's in Oklahoma, for those that can't tell Wink ), and I work in healthcare. I am currently a collector rather than a practitioner of WMA.

I am relatively "new" to sword collecting (only about 2 years now) and my collection currently consists of (in general order of acquisition):

UC Sting, Glamdring, Witchking (appetizers)
A&A Bohemian Broadsword (first 'real' sword!!!)
Del Tin 2153
A&A Black Prince
A&A St. Maurice
AT/CF FMLB with Elven hilt
VInce Evans Cruciform hilt (Milestone's twin)
AT/CF Ranger
A&A Highland Claymore
ArmArt Riccard Viking Sword

I am eagerly awaiting an AT/CF Redeemer, and from ArmArt a custom XIV, custom Lord of Milan, and custom Ottokar II. As you can see, my primary area of interest is swords up to the mid 16th C, but preferably older. I haven't developed an interest in pig stickers, er, I mean rapiers, mainly because there's too much else I want 'first'. I have been very impressed with the work coming out of Albion lately and will certainly add some of their items in the future as well as most of A&A's stuff. I definitely would like anything from Vince Evans as well as Peter Johnsson. The more, the merrier!

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Douglas Peters

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey all I'm new here. I live down in Baton Rouge, I'm 19 years old, and I started collecting swords a year ago, starting with a few wall hangers. My current collection consists of:

A Bastard sword
A Katana
A Wakizashi(all above wall hangers,and I'm not sure by who)
An Angus Trim long sword(SFI Seneschal model)

My main sword interests are European bastard swords(I'm yet to get one that's properly made), and single handed swords. I also like most other European swords originating between 900-1600, as well as Japanese swords.
Eric L.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Eric and i hope i win that beautyful free sword. Laughing Out Loud

I don`t have many swords yet. I have ordered a Migration sword from Albion and i have a Golden Oriole Katana. And a custom sword in the making. I want a view swords from Eric Stevenson to, his work is remarkable. A Rapier *floral hilt leave decoration* a Baskethilt and a Schiavona *type b2*.
Jacob Norwood

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a great idea for promoting this board.

I'm Jake Norwood, currently in the Nashville, TN area (until I can move somewhere else Happy ). I'm an ARMA member who started into serious study of hema about 3 years ago after 10 years of trying to learn something from books, boffers, and even the SCA. I've always felt it odd that the films we love and led us to love swords are the same ones we grimace at now, knowing better. But I love 'em anyway!

My collection:
Del Tin longsword. I'm not sure of the model number, but it's from before the edges thickened up.
MRL Sword of Albrecht II re-hilted
1864 Massachusetts Union Calvary saber
West Point dress saber
Polish "Batorowka" saber wall-hanger
MRL Scottish basket-hilted claymore
Polish sword-of-kings letter opener Wink

Jake Norwood
www.MarylandKDF.com
www.fightlongpoint.com
www.hemaalliance.com
YouTube: DerAltenFechter

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!Contest
Page 4 of 6
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: