Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Beginner bower (not even) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Jaroslav Petrina

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you draw and loose warbow without an arrow it can break, probably killing you in the proces. Its not safest thing to do.

Anyway - I wont explain it as it would take long writing, but I will give example. Take a bow, make a lots of arrows of different weight.
Shoot, start the heaviest arrows and chart the distance. At certain point lighter arrow will not go further.
This means that the limbs of the bow are reaching terminal velocity and wont go faster. Warbow has massive limbs, so this value which is called "dry fire speed" (its the WEIGHT of the arrow) is rather high (means youll end up with rather heavy arrow).
If you want to shoot for distance with light flighting shaft you dont need lots of energy, you need fast recovery speed of the limbs.
This is with any wooden bow in the drawweight of about 65# due to unique properties of wood itself. Heavier bows suffer from "law of dimnishing return" - they have more massive limbs and hence the recovery speed of the limbs is slower.

There is no such thing as "steppe bow" by definition, not even if reffering about it in ethnographic terms. The remark with stack is nonsense. 80创 or 82创 full circle tilered warbow dont stack at 36创, why should it stack at 32 1/2创 of drawlenght. It is so long not to stack and allow to be drawn comfortably even if very strong.

The bow with ears arent something like "better technology", majority of designs with exception of two (turk and korea) shoot not any better than wooden bows. They were first made in areas where no good bow wood was to be found.
Some of them are made short because the material allows it, some of them like chinese bows, or mongol can be as long as 70 -72创 for a warbow.
Even turkish bows which are generally on shorter side can be 62-64 when made for war or target archery.

Now what is stack really - when you fasten the bow on the tilering tree and start to draw. Chart the distance and the force needed to pull into a f/d graph. In the moment the string reaches angle of 90 degrees there is a sudden grow in the force and this point is called point of stack. Now bows with ears are shorter when strung but they get longer as you draw them. This helps to keep the string angle somehow low for a while.
BTW. if you connect the points on the graph you get f/d curve and the area under curve is energy stored in the bow by drawing it.

Jaroslav

I m sorry if I sound very dry, I m trying to clarify some things as I m bowmaker and archer by trade.

When drawing warbow the good form is to start with bow beside you, rather than infront of you. Not only back, but big chest muscles do alot of usefull work. Hovever it is taxing to ellbows and even best and strongest archers like Simon Stanley suffer from this.
It is not healthiest occupation.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jaroslav Petrina wrote:
If you draw and loose warbow without an arrow it can break, probably killing you in the proces. Its not safest thing to do.

Thanks you for the very informative post and I hope you noticed that I did mention that dry firing was a very bad thing to do, although I was only thinking of damage to the bow: That a warbow could break and kill you makes it even worse !

My example was like I said only what is called a " thought " experiment trying to explain what I understood of the way energy gets transferred to the arrow and the diminishing returns of using too light or too heavy an arrow.

You explained it much more " real world " accurately from the knowledgeable point of view of a a bowmaker and archer. Cool

I was only using what little knowledge I have acquired through reading and I hope some logical thought.

In any case, I don't find your reply " dry " but very knowledgeable and I learned things from it I didn't know. Big Grin

And I hope you post your own topics on bow making and archery with heavy warbows. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Derek Estabrook

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Go back to bickerstaff bows and check the main page. Mark Stretton has set a world record and drawn a 200 pound yew longbow.

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jaroslav Petrina

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean: I m sorry, I m not very good diskuter on web. I m not that awfull in person, if you know me.

Mark Stretton is my friend. He is very fine person and very good bowman indeed.

I have a videoclip "how to draw a warbow" which we did in summer, I have uploaded it on rapidshare. Are you folks interested in the link?

Jaroslav
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jaroslav Petrina wrote:
Jean: I m sorry, I m not very good diskuter on web. I m not that awfull in person, if you know me.

I have a videoclip "how to draw a warbow" which we did in summer, I have uploaded it on rapidshare. Are you folks interested in the link?

Jaroslav

Don't worry about it, I didn't take your comments in a negative way. Big Grin And I don't think you are an awful person on the web.

Just remember that when we write or read on the web we don't hear the tone of voice or the smile that might be on the writer's face: It's easy to read the same line of text and imagine that someone was angry or irritated reading between the lines what wasn't really meant by the writer. Big Grin

In my last reply my intent was to assure you that I appreciated your comments and to acknowledge that you know more about the subject and I am happy to hear your views as most of us are. I also wanted you to be sure that I really wasn't recommending dry firing a warbow or any bow: So at worse I was just making sure that that was clear and the reply was in no way critical of what you had to say.

Oh, I'm sure we would be interested in the link to your video clip " How to draw a warbow "

If you wanted to write a feature article on the subject of warbows you could get in touch with Nathan Robinson about it as he is always looking for contributors who can write feature articles on subjects they know. ( No pressure to do this, just a suggestion as I would love to read a detailed article on the subject. )

Jaroslav Petrina

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will ask him if it was good to write the article.

I ll dig out the link for the movie. I uploaded it while ago.....
Douglas Meek

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have made a cross bow once but never a long bow. I think they are harder to do then the normal cross bow prod.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Dougla...ossbow.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Dougla...T00080.jpg
full draw.

I have a pic of the trigger but I just made the trigger up so i dont think youll find it in any history books

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Dougla...CT0005.jpg

If you want to make a bow...talk to my friend on this site

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?...1142987636
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas Meek wrote:

If you want to make a bow...talk to my friend on this site

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?...1142987636

I've done this, though I used a similar site, Primitive Ways. I really was just looking for a project to do, and used a piece of Carolina Pine, not suitable for a bow at all, but yet when I was done, I was amazed at how it turned out. I used a couple of rasps, an old knife and sandpaper. I had been working on a red oak stave but had to stop, hopefully this spring I can get it finished and maybe post some pics.

Ken
Douglas Meek

PostPosted: Sat 01 Apr, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh yes all you need is a knife and your good to go. I have a draw knife that i love for bow and cross bow makeing. Cool
Rob Andrew

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jaroslav Petrina wrote:

Jaroslav

Hi, if you wouldnt mind, I would like to see the video.

Currently have a 100lb self yew warbow which I am struggling to come to terms with it, so looking for any useful information Happy

Rob
Stefan Toivonen

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rob Andrew wrote:
Jaroslav Petrina wrote:

Jaroslav

Hi, if you wouldnt mind, I would like to see the video.

Currently have a 100lb self yew warbow which I am struggling to come to terms with it, so looking for any useful information Happy

Rob

I did some googling and I stumbled across this link, http://rapidshare.de/files/13981302/Heavybow.mpeg.html.
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Mother's Day         Reply with quote

My bow itself is not here yet, but it should be here in a couple of weeks. :fingers crossed: In the meantime, I thought some of you might appreciate this photo of my Mother's Day gifts. This is the scene that greeted me this morning. Happy

The cube targets are from my 16 year old son, who also took the photo for me. The hand drawn targets are from my 10 year old son, and the lovely bouquet is from my dear sweet hubby. Everybody say, "Awwwwww!"

Don't forget to call your mother today!

Attachment: 109.69 KB
momdaytarget.jpg

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mother's Day         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
My bow itself is not here yet, but it should be here in a couple of weeks. :fingers crossed: In the meantime, I thought some of you might appreciate this photo of my Mother's Day gifts. This is the scene that greeted me this morning. Happy

The cube targets are from my 16 year old son, who also took the photo for me. The hand drawn targets are from my 10 year old son, and the lovely bouquet is from my dear sweet hubby. Everybody say, "Awwwwww!"

Don't forget to call your mother today!

Now what Mother could put arrow holes in a target handrawn by her 10 year old son ......... " Awwwwwwww! " Razz

Or at least wait until you can shoot a really tight group and then have it framed. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Cool photo!         Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to shoot my bow and my husband was lucky enough to capture the bow and arrow in motion at the moment of release. Pure luck, but a fun photo. Big Grin The second photo is just to show what the bow looks like when it's stationery. (And, yes, I know, I shouldn't be leaning so far to the right. Blush )

Attachment: 120.24 KB
twang3.JPG
At the moment of release, both the bow and the arrow are in motion.

Attachment: 69.08 KB
still_bow.JPG
Still shot.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela,
Those are some nice photos. Congrats on the new bow.

I have a bow on order from UC Crossbows(they now make hand bows and crossbows). 55# at 26' draw length and six feet tall osage backed with bamboo.
I can't wait to get it. I'll post pics when I do

-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Bedell wrote:

Those are some nice photos. Congrats on the new bow.

Thank you! Happy I'm pretty excited.
J. Bedell wrote:

I have a bow on order from UC Crossbows(they now make hand bows and crossbows). 55# at 26' draw length and six feet tall osage backed with bamboo.
I can't wait to get it. I'll post pics when I do

Tell us all about it when you get it. I'm looking forward to seeing those pics. Cool

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela;

Good to see you having fun with the bow and maybe you can have a bout with Bill at 50 paces were he uses a longsword and you shoot at him as he tries to close in on you. Wink

Oh, to be nice: The arrows would have nice big rubber tips or my " joke " would be mean. Eek!

Might actually be interesting as long as the safety equipment is up to it.

Now you have got me tempted to get back into archery I've started asking questions about the UC Crossbows horsebow and you and I know that this is just the beginning of the slippery slope leading to a smaller bank balance. Wink

I already have a laminated recurve bow at 80# of draw that's been languishing in a closet for years and a modern pulley bow. So I'm asking questions about a 100# custom draw. ( Cost and advice might sway me to the standard max 75# they offer. )http://www.uccrossbows.com/2006horsebows.html

I want to try a real warbow without all the modern plastic arrow shelfs, sights, stablelisers etc ....... that I'm probably misnaming: With my recurve I used a minimum of this but I want to try un-assisted instinctive shooting.

So, are you starting to group your shots ? There is a learning curve with everything, and it is a new skill, but I would think that the concentration and focus you have developed with swordsmanship can transfer to another skill: The mind with no mind state is similar I think.

Well, take care and have fun.
Jean

Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Oh, to be nice: The arrows would have nice big rubber tips or my " joke " would be mean. Eek!

Actually, I was envisioning the kind of arrows with suction cups for tips. Laughing Out Loud
Quote:

Now you have got me tempted to get back into archery I've started asking questions about the UC Crossbows horsebow and you and I know that this is just the beginning of the slippery slope leading to a smaller bank balance. Wink

Oh, yes, I know!
Quote:

I want to try a real warbow without all the modern plastic arrow shelfs, sights, stablelisers etc ....... that I'm probably misnaming: With my recurve I used a minimum of this but I want to try un-assisted instinctive shooting.

I understand, nothing plastic on my bow. No sight or stabilizer either. It does have a little wooden arrow shelf. (I don't know the proper names either, but I think we understand each other which is what counts.)
Quote:

So, are you starting to group your shots ?

Well, most of my shots are hitting the target. Does that count? I've only had the chance to do a few dozen shots so far. After that, my muscles, fingertips and attention span were beginning to suffer. A little more than half hit the target itself, about 2 thirds hit if you count the shots that hit the target stand. Happy I'll get another chance in a week and a half or so. (We have a little vacation house which is where I can shoot. I can't do it at home in the suburbs. Happy )

I thought you might enjoy the pictures. You can almost see my face, but no Prussian dueling scar. Do you think the bow makes my rear look fat? Wink Laughing Out Loud (Don't answer!!)

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Beginner bower (not even)
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: