Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Manville, RI Settlers Day Sept 24-25 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Manville, RI Settlers Day Sept 24-25         Reply with quote

There is an event every year in Manville, Rhode Island that may be of interest to forumites.

Todd Pelletier and I have met there, shared talk and done some cutting. We have an area roped off and usually a couple of tables of swords. More sword folk are always welcome.

The event is held at the
Manville Sportsmen's Club. There are quite a few activities and the event is children friendly.

Hands on stuff includes hawk throwing, archery, wall climbing and things that go boom (including a .50 caliber Barret). I believe most of these require the standard few fair tickets, I not sure exactly how that works. There are a few arts and craft vendors there and some food. It also encompasses a Pow Wow event for some locals.

As far as swords go, we always have several on hand. More are welcome. If you want to cut and are sure you'll be coming, let us know via pm. We don't want to discourage anyone but this is at your own risk. The mat order will be going in soon.

We don't get much response on these but I figured get it out early this year. It is a chance to get together. Show a sword and say you are looking for "hop along" and they'll probably wave you right in.

September 24th and 25th 2005 10am until about 6pm + - There is a map at the website. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

GC

A lot of the time is spent with the public as well, so talking heads are handy.
Todd Pelletier

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for posting this up glen.
The last two years for this event have been a lot of fun. Its always good to together with like minded individuals to talk shop and try out some blades that you might not have the change to use. also interacting with the general public is alot more fun than it sounds. Its nice when you can actualy watch the light come on in a persons head when they relize that a medieval sword realy should not weight in at 27lbs and be duller that a bread knife. Though don't get me wrong alot of the time you spend chating with people who are relativly well informed. I just enjoy watching those that are not when it hits them.
cheers
todd

fortes fortuna iuvat
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a bump up. All systems still appear to be a go. Jay Barron and Dennis Boas have expressed tenative
attendance. Todd mentioned a forty mat order, so there should be stuff to cut.

Cheers

GC
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A week away on this. Todd has indicated a reduced mat order but we are still a go for this. The long range weather looks a little iffy but there will be some cover if the sky opens up. Hopefully we'll see some sun.

Cheers

GC
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of days out from this. The weather forecast is looking better.
There will be cover for the swords (a sibling donated a canopy) and there is a large pavillion for eating and sitting.

I didn't mention music earlier but they rotate a few bands of Dixieland Jazz and country.

Cheers

GC
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alas I won't be able to make it this year. I just couldn't convince my wife that the band that she wants to see this weekend sucks. Plus, my folks closed up our summer cottage for the year. Maybe next year will be a go for me. Sorry I'll be missing the fun.
Constant and true.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Manville, RI Settlers Day Sept 24-25
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic