Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New German war sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin Faulkner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: New German war sword?         Reply with quote

Hello:

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Windlass Steelcrafts German war sword. The product number is 500946.

Here's a link: http://www.windlass.com/p-249-german-war-sword.aspx

Is this a new product? I don't see it on KOA's website. It looks like a nice sword of decent quality. They say it is based upon an actual sword. Is this a Type XVII or XVIII blade? I like this sword. It appears to be more authentic than the Hanwei bastard sword I bought. I just hope it doesn't cost a fortune. Does anyone know its price?

I like this sword! What do you guys think about it? What do you know about it?

Thank you.

DUSTIN FAULKNER
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is an old model. To heavy hilt for the blade, blade should be more substantial, I wasn't very impressed... Definitely not as good as H/T Bastard.
Charles Richmond

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That particular sword has been discontinued for several years.

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2576
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New German war sword?         Reply with quote

Dustin Faulkner wrote:
Hello:
...they say it is based upon an actual sword. Is this a Type XVII or XVIII blade? ...

It looks like a Type XVII. Right?

I guess this because assuming it is either a XVII, XVIIIa, XVIIIb or XVIIIc:
    1. Does not look like a XVIIIa at all.
    2. The blade looks too tapered to be a XVIIIb, and does not have the typical handle shape.
    3. The blade does not look stout enough to be a VXIIIc and is probably too long as well.

Just my guess.
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had that sword many years ago. I wanted to like it, but I couldn't stand it. The pommel was ridiculous, the handle was round and wierd and the blade was very whippy.
New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New German war sword?         Reply with quote

[quote="T. Arndt"]
Dustin Faulkner wrote:

It looks like a Type XVII. Right?

I guess this because assuming it is either a XVII, XVIIIa, XVIIIb or XVIIIc:
    1. Does not look like a XVIIIa at all.
    2. The blade looks too tapered to be a XVIIIb, and does not have the typical handle shape.
    3. The blade does not look stout enough to be a VXIIIc and is probably too long as well.

Just my guess.

I'd say it's not a Type XVII blade as it doesn't appear to have a hexagonal section. I'd go with XVa if I had to classify it.

The copy on this one says it's from the book Arms & Armor From The Atelier Of Ernst Schmidt - Munich. More info of Ernst Schmidt can be found in our Feature Article A Profile of Ernst Schmidt.

I'd guess the basis for this sword was one of Schmidt's creations, not a historical piece.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
T. Arndt

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New German war sword?         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

...I'd say it's not a Type XVII blade as it doesn't appear to have a hexagonal section. I'd go with XVa if I had to classify it....

I completely forgot about blade section when I was trying to place this in the topology. More practice needed I guess Laughing Out Loud
Thanks Chad.
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This was actually the first sword I ever purchased, a little over 4 years ago, pretty close to the time it was being discontinued. At the time, I didn't know much about anything. As suggested, I'm pretty sure it's a XVa. I've attached pics comparing it to the other representations of the XVa that I have (didn't realize I had so many!).

The attached pics (some of which I suppose are too large to show directly) compare (in order of appearance) the Albion Mercenary, Windlass German War Sword, Albion Agincourt and an ATrim 1520.

As you'll see, blade width on the Windlass is closer to the Agincourt & ATrim and is comparatively whippy. Blade geometry on all four is hollow-ground diamond, without the extremely pronounced central ridge.

As the hilt comparison shows, grip length is pretty good, but cross is less elegant and a little bit wider, throwing off the aesthetics a bit by comparison (IMHO). Pommel is HUGE and, along with less robust blade presence, contributes to the Windlass being hilt-heavy.

As you will see from grip comparison, the Windlass is round, tapering from cross to pommel, rather than what seems more common amongst the higher end production offerings. I don't know that the grip profile is a-historical, but it isn't as common on the repro market. The powdercoat finish DOES seem a bit a-historic in my mind, but this was perhaps common in India Wink

I don't practice WMA (would like to - haven't found the time...), but can't imagine this being used for any reason other than decorative, costuming or weapon of last resort. Got it for a fair price, and was definitely more historically accurate than the second sword I purchased - a Cold Steel Grosse Messer Blush Laughing Out Loud (Sean Flynt is presently ripping that one apart for a project).

I like it, but I think that's mostly a sentimental thing.

Attachment: 178.7 KB
Windlass Hilt.JPG
Windlass Hilt - Closer Look

Attachment: 52.75 KB
Grip Compare Agincourt v Windlass.JPG
Grip Profile: Agincourt vs. Windlass

Attachment: 218.11 KB
L-R: Albion Mercenary, Windlass German War Sword, Albion Agincourt, ATrim 1520 [ Download ]

Attachment: 168.79 KB
Hilts L-R: Mercenary, War Sword, Agincourt, ATrim [ Download ]

Attachment: 73.7 KB
Windlass In Hand [ Download ]
T. Arndt

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@Victor, seeing it up close it looks cheap and "decorative" even for Windlass.

I agree to powdercoat finish is pretty atrocious. I have a windlass that, while a far cry from a A&A or Albion, is not this far off the mark. It makes me wonder if even Windlass has has improved over the past few years.
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@ T. Arndt - yeah, this is my only Windlass and pretty much turned me off to any other offering they might have. I'm guessing the original that inspired this offering has bronze hilt furniture and this was their attempt at replicating that "feel" cheaply.

I have been seeing some pretty good reviews on other Windlass products over the last couple of years, particularly from the perspective of "for the price...", but am still a little gun-shy. Like most (all?) other Windlass sword offerings, this is a screw-top and, well, I've decided I like the historically based peened offerings better. I know there are applications where the non-peened method can be more useful, but, at present, I'm not banging steel with other enthusiasts and in want or need of an easy method to tighten things up.
T. Arndt

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor R. wrote:
@ T. Arndt - yeah, this is my only Windlass and pretty much turned me off to any other offering they might have....

Yeah, I do not foresee further purchases with them. After handling the higher accuracy/cost reproductions of other vendors it is hard to go back. At this point the only thing that would change my mind is if someone handed me a blade that felt alive made by them and I knew it was based on a historical sword. With swords as anything else, at least in the low end, you usually pay for what you get.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New German war sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic