Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Tritonworks Website update Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Jean-Carle Hudon

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ,
I'm not so sure about that "ranger" and lotr reference. Vlad's catalogue shows three variants of the same hand and a half's all broadly described as european, 14-15th century, western and central (he says "middle") europe. He's quite well documented with regards to the origins of the swords he chooses, and the czech republic is rich in local museums which hold original models, so I would be surprised that he would go for a lotr knock off.
On the other hand, given the ressemblance which I do not dispute, maybe the guys doing the fantasy lotr stuff were closer to the real thing than many people imagine.
By the way, I love your work, but I hate the thought of sending my babies through the mail or UPS. Any chance you live anywhere near Montreal ?Your site doesn't seem to mention where your workshop is situated. I have three Cervenka swords and two daggers so far and have tried my hand at making my own scabbards. They're ok, but not on par with yours so I would like to know if I could drop one off at your shop on one of my trips stateside.
Cheers.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The formatting on your Solingen review page is a bit messed up; the stats and the naviagtion bar are overlapping. Good review though, and the website looks great.
www.addisondelisle.com
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like Jean-Carle said, I don't think the sword is based on the ranger one. I possess one of those (the original model). I think it was designed by the original owner of the sword, who sold it to me.
« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
Russ,
I'm not so sure about that "ranger" and lotr reference. Vlad's catalogue shows three variants of the same hand and a half's all broadly described as european, 14-15th century, western and central (he says "middle") europe. He's quite well documented with regards to the origins of the swords he chooses, and the czech republic is rich in local museums which hold original models, so I would be surprised that he would go for a lotr knock off.
On the other hand, given the ressemblance which I do not dispute, maybe the guys doing the fantasy lotr stuff were closer to the real thing than many people imagine.
By the way, I love your work, but I hate the thought of sending my babies through the mail or UPS. Any chance you live anywhere near Montreal ?Your site doesn't seem to mention where your workshop is situated. I have three Cervenka swords and two daggers so far and have tried my hand at making my own scabbards. They're ok, but not on par with yours so I would like to know if I could drop one off at your shop on one of my trips stateside.
Cheers.

Hey Jean,

I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea if this is really his Lord of the Rings sword, I merely note that because of the resemblance and the time frame as to when it was built. Although Hugo's post below might lend credence to the theory if it was designed by someone Hugo knows. What I'm trying to say is that Hugo's original owner may have been influenced by the Lord of the Rings Swords? Perhaps Hugo can confirm this or say that is not so?

In any event no, I'm afraid I do not live anywhere remotely close to Montreal, I am in Alabama, United States. I have had other customers who were hesitant to trust their swords to the vagaries of the postman, shoot me a line at my email address ramellis1@bellsouth.net and we can talk.... Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
The formatting on your Solingen review page is a bit messed up; the stats and the naviagtion bar are overlapping. Good review though, and the website looks great.

Hey Addison,

What browser are you using? I did not notice that last night when I peeked at it. I would take a look now, but it seems that the server is experiencing some difficulties. In any event as soon as I can get back into it, I will have a look. Thanks for the heads up!

Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Russ, I'm using Mozilla Firefox and I can see what Addison is talking about. The Solingen and the Cerevenka reviews the stats overlap onto the info in the blue box to the right of the screen. I think it might just be because the pictures are a little too big. Hope this helps, otherwise, I really like the new site.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm also using Mozilla Firefox.
www.addisondelisle.com

Last edited by Addison C. de Lisle on Mon 08 Jan, 2007 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton Spaulding wrote:
Hey Russ, I'm using Mozilla Firefox and I can see what Addison is talking about. The Solingen and the Cerevenka reviews the stats overlap onto the info in the blue box to the right of the screen. I think it might just be because the pictures are a little too big. Hope this helps, otherwise, I really like the new site.

Drat. Now I don't know what to do... if I make the pictures smaller you all will lose detail. If I leave them the same apparently Mozilla cobbles it together (I.E. apparently does not have that problem). Maybe I should make the picture small with a link to the larger picture... hmmm there's an idea. Dagnabbit everything was so easy to put together for the reviews too... In fairness to the web designer he originally had the pictures at 100 X 100 which I bet would not cause the problem. I elected to make them larger all on my lonesome...

Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea if this is really his Lord of the Rings sword, I merely note that because of the resemblance and the time frame as to when it was built. Although Hugo's post below might lend credence to the theory if it was designed by someone Hugo knows. What I'm trying to say is that Hugo's original owner may have been influenced by the Lord of the Rings Swords? Perhaps Hugo can confirm this or say that is not so?

This sword was sold to me by Edward Eglinton, a very nice guy who lives in Ontario if I recall correctly. He sold me the sword 500$ with a custom scabbard with a wooden core made by him, the best bargain I got in my life if you ask me. He had the sword in his possession for two years when he sold it to me.

Honestly, I don't think the sword bears a great ressemblance to the ranger sword, and surely it must handles differently than, let's say, a borderwatch sword made by Christian Fletcher ([url]http://www.christianfletcher.com/Site/Borderwatch%20(Albion)_files/HPIM2594.jpg[/url]). It appears small and delicate on the pictures, but in hand it's a sword that has a lot of authority and gives you the impression that you can just bash through anything. Its very special.

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:

This sword was sold to me by Edward Eglinton, a very nice guy who lives in Ontario if I recall correctly. He sold me the sword 500$ with a custom scabbard with a wooden core made by him, the best bargain I got in my life if you ask me. He had the sword in his possession for two years when he sold it to me.

Interesting, you do not happen to still have Mr. Eglinton's email address about would you? I would love to ping him on the genesis of his sword idea. It might necessitate me renaming its review. Happy

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alright, I got an email from Mr. Eglinton. Due to my attempts to not be a crass or impolite individual I will not post it here without his permission, but the gist of it is that he basically wanted a Lord of the Rings historical sword. At first this may seem a contradiction in terms, but as he explained it he wanted a Lord of the Rings look along with a historical blade... which to my mind is exactly what he got. The hilt components to the best of his knowledge were not patterned after any extant original but instead were influenced by the ones in the Lord of the Rings movie. It was very nice of him to write me back. Also interesting to hear the story of how this sword (and its descendants) came to be.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've added some more reviews over the last couple of months (specifically finished all the Del Tin reviews that I had in the hopper, a lot of the Arms and Armor ones, a Lutel and a few others) There were too many to go into...

However I also added a couple of example items recently...

A Maelstrom scabbard:

On this one I built a standard Maelstrom Scabbard for an MRL sword. Also the owner did not like the way the handle fit his hand so I narrowed it down it's length and added a brown grip with a couple of risers.

You can find more pictures of this project here:

http://www.tritonworks.com/maelstrom

Next up aTrident Line Scabbard.

This one was a bit out of the ordinary. It's certainly the first scabbard for a bronze age sword that I've ever done. As best as I could tell this sword is from the Urnfield culture and there is an amazing dearth of material that I was able to find (or not as it turned out) on what an Urnfield Scabbard should consist of. However, the owner was able to supply me with a photo of a line drawing from a scabbard from a not to distant time period and we made something that would I hope be at least plausible for this sword. This scabbard looks a little hairy because it is. That's a goat skin on the scabbard with the hair on. Nasty stuff to work with I don't recommend it. The next guy that wants a hair on scabbard is going to pay some extra money for it I guarantee it. Good on this owner for getting in under the wire. Happy

You can see more pictures here:

http://www.tritonworks.com/trident

I also wrote a brief review on this one it's in the reviews section under Armart.

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No hair-on goat skin for me, I promise.

The scabbard for the MRL piece looks really nice, and the grip job is a big improvement over standard MRL fare.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

The scabbard for the MRL piece looks really nice, and the grip job is a big improvement over standard MRL fare.

Personally I want porcupine hair with the quills. Razz

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Excellent! Happy It truly was a hassle to work with in every way. Hair, everywhere, it was a beast to get on the core, a pain to sew... you name it. Then I had to shave the tip to be able to attach the chape properly... just a misery all the way around. It's making me seriously rethink that coyote skin Conan scabbard that another customer wants... Happy

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

No problem, that will be 50,000 dollars or 60 feet of wampum whichever you have lying about. Happy Seriously as with anything given enough time and money I'm willing to do pretty much anything with a scabbard. What gets me in trouble is I often severely underestimate what a project is going to take the FIRST time I do it. The next poor guy that comes along gets the benefit of my experience... but also the price of that experience... Happy

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

No problem, that will be 50,000 dollars or 60 feet of wampum whichever you have lying about. Happy Seriously as with anything given enough time and money I'm willing to do pretty much anything with a scabbard. What gets me in trouble is I often severely underestimate what a project is going to take the FIRST time I do it. The next poor guy that comes along gets the benefit of my experience... but also the price of that experience... Happy

It's good to be the first. Wink Laughing Out Loud HMMMM how about electric eel skin with a battery in the chape for authentic period chocks !
Or a solid jade scabbard hand carved out of one solid piece ( two piece construction would be too easy. Razz )

Oh, have to go to your site to look at those reviews: Is there information there about the bronze sword ? I have a similar type that Albion used to sell but this one looks less " boat anchor like " than mine. The edges on mine were unsharpened and many many millimetres thick as well as the point being " chunky " and very dull: I did put an edge and refined the shape of the point on mine with files.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

It's good to be the first. Wink Laughing Out Loud HMMMM how about electric eel skin with a battery in the chape for authentic period chocks !
Or a solid jade scabbard hand carved out of one solid piece ( two piece construction would be too easy. Razz )

Oh, have to go to your site to look at those reviews: Is there information there about the bronze sword ? I have a similar type that Albion used to sell but this one looks less " boat anchor like " than mine. The edges on mine were unsharpened and many many millimetres thick as well as the point being " chunky " and very dull: I did put an edge and refined the shape of the point on mine with files.

Happy Indeed, I had no idea that you were a member here Mr. Trump, I'm so glad cause you are going to have to mortgage Atlantic city to have those scabbards made. Happy

I did indeed post a review of the bronze sword, you can find it here:

http://www.tritonworks.com/reviews?content=re...t_urnfield

This sword handles pretty well actually and is really in an entirely different league from the bronze swords that Albion was having made for a while. From what I understand it is still not at Mr. Burridge's level but it was still a darned nice piece. It certainly made me a lot more interested in Bronze age swords.

Rob Miller
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ,its been a couple of years since i have had a look in,really impressive work that you are putting out now,i think we need to get together on some projects,i really like your new beltwork for the Medieaval work.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, that was very kind of you to say, every new project teaches you something different and if my stuff was no better then it was a few years ago then I would be very embarassed today... Happy I'll shoot you a private message...

I was actually going to post something new today to this thread also, so...

This project that I just completed this weekend was something new and different. In a lot of ways those are the most fun, because they allow you to try something a little unique. In some ways however they are a big pain because you have never done it before, also for the customer these are invariably the best deal because you don't know how much work it is actually going to take you to do this thing and so you don't charge NEARLY enough... Happy

This is a scabbard and belt for a Tinker fantasy saber or cutlass. The customer had initially asked for something that looked very 18th-19th century military but when I actually got the piece in hand I thought that a huge opportunity would be wasted by putting such a unique piece in something so mundane, therefore I begged for the chance to do something a little different. The customer was very accomodating (especially since he was footing the bill) and let me do what I wanted with the piece. As noted above I got a bit overboard, were I to do such a piece again it would cost significantly more then what I charged this customer, especially since all the odd curves and angles were a MAJOR pain to sand down and the leather outer had to be entirely hand stitched (and I did not charge him for it).

Here are some pictures

You can read a full review of the piece here:

http://www.tritonworks.com/reviews?content=re...tasy_saber

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Tritonworks Website update
Page 5 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: