Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Next Gen Vinland Arrives! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
James King

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Albion Next Gen Vinland Arrives!         Reply with quote

I just recieved a NG Vinland.To say that I am impressed would be an understatement.This sword is Awesome to look upon...the photo's do not do it justice.Handles perfect ,juuuust enough blade presence and handles like a sports car.This sword could do some serious damage.The hilt is very well done ...clean casting ..no pitting...thin profile...the rivets are very convincing...very comfortable.The blade is , well, unlike any I have ever seen (in person) it is Broad (2.2 " at guard) slightly tapering to a very accute point ....in 2 words elegant beast.The overall finish is perfect.I am one happy hillbilly.The sword is the most impressive on I have ever held ,easily worth $1200(I would have paid that for it).I hope to have some pics as soon as the Gotland and Clontarf arrive.I would like to thank everyone who had a part in the swords construction (And Mike Ofcourse)for doing such an incredible job.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations James!

I'm glad that these swords are now getting out into the communities hands. I can go on and on about how great, and groundbreaking these swords are, but that only goes so far. People really need to see them in hand to appreciate what Albion is doing.

I'm currently waiting on a Vinland myself. Unfortunately, I didn't get an order in before the flood gates opened, so I'll probably be waiting until the new year Sad Hopefully my Brescia Spadona will arrive sooner! I'm very anxious to get the review out on that one, as well as its' scabbard.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James, I was able to see the first few swords as they were finishing production. I believe I actually got to handle your particular sword, in fact.

Here's a photo I took while at Albion:

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Thank you         Reply with quote

Hi James,

Those are some kind words thank you. It means even more coming from you! You are a man of great taste. Happy

For those waiting (ie my friend Patrick et al...) We have a ton of waxes being cast now. In addition, Leif has been a busy boy these days. He has been making waxes like crazy. We have a steady flow of waxes going to the foundry. No one, including myself, could have anticipated the popularity of these swords. Talk about getting caught with your pants down.

Patrick, you will be glad to know that the new Brescia guard and pommel as well as the new Soligen pommel arrived from PJ last week (or so) and are being molded as we speak. So, it won't be long till you have a Brescia.

Best,

Eric

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's exciting news about the Brescia Eric, thanks.

As for being caught with your pants down, well, better overwhelmed than underwhelmed eh?

Besides, I told ya Wink
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion Next Gen Vinland Arrives!         Reply with quote

James King wrote:
I hope to have some pics as soon as the Gotland and Clontarf arrive.I would like to thank everyone who had a part in the swords construction (And Mike Ofcourse)for doing such an incredible job.

Did you order all three?

Since your Vinland was one of the first ordered, there should be a number somewhere between 1 and 25 somewhere on the blade. Yours may even be number 1. Where is it located on the blade?

I'm happy for Albion that these swords have really taken off.

I can't wait to receive my Gotland, I hope before the end of this month.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These thing sure look nice and I'm glad they are being well recieved. Although vikings are not my thing, these are very tempting. I can't wait to see what else comes out over the next year or so.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe the number (1-25) is stamped on the tang under the guard. You can see it in some of the in-process pictures. I myself am waiting for NG Gaddhjalt #4.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
I believe the number (1-25) is stamped on the tang under the guard. You can see it in some of the in-process pictures. I myself am waiting for NG Gaddhjalt #4.

I don't know if it's stamped or not, but I do believe that the first 25 of each sword receives a certificate.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Stephen Pearson

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: I too have ordered the Vinland!         Reply with quote

I too am waiting for my nextgen Vinland. And though I was told that my order was within the first 25, I don't know what number I'll be receiving. With every new pic I see (great one Nathan!) I get more and more excited about my purchase! My previous Viking sword (which I sold to help generate the cash for the Vinland) had a a black leather grip. So this time, I ordered the dark brown grip -- are there any pics of any of the nextgen Vikings with a grip color other than black?

--Steve

The only situation a commander can know fully is his own: his opponent's he can know only from unreliable intelligence.
Clausewitz, On War
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the Gaddjahlt with a brown grip.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that might be my Gaddhjalt shown there with the dark brown grip. I know it will get here when it gets here, and I'm resisting the temptation to call and ask.
I ordered "Swords of the Viking Age," so I will have a source to educate myself further. I've learned two rules from gun collecting: 1) Buy the best gun (sword) you can afford. and 2) For every gun (sword) you buy, buy a book.
Jim Lindsey

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, James! An absolutely beautiful sword ... and if that's a picture of your sword that Nathan posted, it's completely awesome! All the folks at Albion are truly the greatest, and their work is fabulous! Best wishes to you with your new NG Vinland and sincerest congrats again!
"And so it shall be that in the days of peace, one sword shall keep another in its scabbard."

Have a great day ! Best Regards,
Jim
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's another photo from my photoshoot:

Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats!!! Bring on the owner pics!!!!
James King

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I forgot to mention the pommel , the sword is peened, however, it is so cleanly done it appears to be of two part construction.(refer to Nathans photo)I can't praise this sword enough, I'm almost giddy!After looking at Nathans photo's I'm ashamed to post any.....the man is an *outstanding* photographer.I ordered the Gotland a few days after the Vinland,and I orderd the Clontarf after the finished photo's went up on the website.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Albion Next Gen Vinland Arrives!         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

Since your Vinland was one of the first ordered, there should be a number somewhere between 1 and 25 somewhere on the blade. Yours may even be number 1. Where is it located on the blade?.

To answer my own question - I just talked to Mike of Albion - He says that they have decided against putting numbers on the blades of the first 25 of each NG model. They feel it would detract from the appearence of the swords. The first 25 will still get a certificate signed by PJ, but will receive at a later date than the sword delivery.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Next Gen Vinland Arrives!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic