Buckler and Dagger fighting
Has anyone found documentation on fighting with Buckler and Dagger? (Buckler in one hand, dagger in the other)
I did a some web researching and came up with nothing. My thoughts behind it are close quarters of streets, a judicial dueling or your sword was disarmed.
The essence of it is that if you are wearing a buckler, you will be carrying a sword as well.
If the conditions are to cramed for a sword, you wont have time to bring out the buckler either, and you're better served pulling the dagger.

If you lose your sword, grab him by the shoulder and stab him until he lies still. There isn't much technique to this, and if need be one could apply the regular dagger concepts.
Re: Buckler and Dagger fighting
Chuck Wyatt wrote:
Has anyone found documentation on fighting with Buckler and Dagger? (Buckler in one hand, dagger in the other)
I did a some web researching and came up with nothing. My thoughts behind it are close quarters of streets, a judicial dueling or your sword was disarmed.

I'd highly doubt you'll find anything about dagger and buckler fighting. As others have noted in the past, there is no advantage in having a shorter weapons such as a dagger when a longer one like a sword exists. You can offend your opponents at a much greater distance with a sword. A sword will also probably allow you to cut fairly effectively, whereas daggers are really much better at thrusting. The other thing to consider is that a lot of buckler fighting is accomplished in tandem with wrestling, which becomes difficult when you're wielding a buckler.
Francesco Guicardinni (sp) says that the Spanish rodeleros made use of their daggers at Ravenna.

In addition, one of Wallhausen's military manuals (1616) shows "Roman" sword work, including both drilling at the pallum and drilling with a partner--in both cases, the drills are shown with both sword-and-shield, and dagger-and-shield.

FWIW.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: