Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jason Elrod wrote:

Umm. Is this the custom XX pictured on A&A's website? Cuz if Russ doesn't want to handle the sword, I'll make a quick swoop down from Winchester VA to play with it.

Sure Jason - PM me and we will schedule it.
Russ Ellis wrote:
Sounds like a good plan Gordon of course with gas prices the way they are I hope you don't mind if I stay a while...

No problem - you can have the mother in law room. (As long as the MIL is not in there.)
A shot of the second A&A claymore (with custom ash handle) that Criag & the boys did for me !
Than 2 more claidheamh dà làimh by the mighty Vince Evans !

Mac

Attachment: 67.77 KB
new aa claymore 2.JPG

Attachment: 79.53 KB
Evans claymore.JPG

Attachment: 58.19 KB
Evans claymore 3.JPG

A blowup (cropped) of 1:1 from Culloden The Swords & the Sorrows, National Trust For Scotland, 1996, with a bit of the plates descriptive text :

"Hilt, Scottish Highland, late medieval blade German (Solingen or Passau), probably early 16th century.
The iron hilt consists of a small wheel pommel, with the "hub" off-centre towards the blade, and a longitudinally-faceted quillon-block supporting a pair of long quillons of flattened-hexagonal section inclined towards the blade, between which is a pair of square-ended langets flanking the blade. Each quillon ends in an open-work quatrefoil formed of four short tubes welded together.
The grip is covered in brown leather."

Attachment: 41.81 KB
claymore two hander culloden.jpg

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Sat 03 Sep, 2005 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Least we forget that famous Vince Evans dragonslayer, Ragnarok, in the collection of one Tom Bassier !

Mac

Attachment: 99.57 KB
bassier ragnarok guard.jpg

Attachment: 86.88 KB
Bassier Ragnarok.JPG

Oh wow... that one gives yours a run for its money Mac. Both absolutely beautiful. So what is your collecting goal these days anyway? You have narrowed your focus rather a lot it seems. Basically you just want to own every Vince Evans piece in the world?
Mac that is jaw dropping amazing. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Russ Ellis wrote:
Oh wow... that one gives yours a run for its money Mac. Both absolutely beautiful. So what is your collecting goal these days anyway? You have narrowed your focus rather a lot it seems. Basically you just want to own every Vince Evans piece in the world?

Hi Russ

Yes, Ragnarok is quite the sword ....and just think .... Tom actually shortened that handle, as it was originally a few inches longer than what you see here !

Yeah, the scope of my collecting has narrowed to the Scottish stuff, these last few years, as I've found it impossible (money-wise) to spread myself into other areas and be able to maintain such high quality items !
Not to mention that it's next to impossible to own all the different style of baskethilts & claidheamh mor I see !

The thing is, yes, Scottish swords are me .... 100%
Beyond the absolute beauty I see in them I feel they are very much at the core of my heritage, tied into some crazy little voice in my head that helps me connect to all the generations past, and Scotland as a whole !

Vince & Eljay are the two best modern day hammermen I've come across in centuries ..... and that is why my collection is made up of their work ! I've dabbled in antique originals, as well, but as a rule they are far too rich for my blood !
Afterall, I be but a lowly land-scraper here in the former colony of His Majesty, Massachusetts !
(and boy o boy the price of fuel is getting out of hand here..... perhaps it's time to have another Tea Party ;-)

yor Most Humbl Sevtt , Thomas

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Fri 02 Sep, 2005 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

Hi Russ

Yes, Ragnarok is quite the sword ....and just think .... Tom actually shortened that handle !

Yeah, the scope of my collecting has narrowed to the Scottish stuff, these last few years, as I've found it impossible (money-wise) to spread myself into other areas and be able to maintain such high quality items !
Not to mention that it's next to impossible to own all the different style of baskethilts & claidheamh mor I see !

The thing is, yes, Scottish swords are me .... 100%
Beyond the absolute beauty I see in them I feel they are very much at the core of my heritage, tied into some crazy little voice in my head that helps me connect to all the generations past, and Scotland as a whole !

Vince & Eljay are the two best modern day hammermen I've come across in centuries ..... and that is why my collection is made up of their work ! I've dabbled in antique originals, as well, but as a rule they are far too rich for my blood !
Afterall, I be but a lowly land-scraper here in the former colony of His Majesty, Massachusetts !
(and boy o boy the price of fuel is getting out of hand here..... perhaps it's time to have another Tea Party ;-)

yor Most Humbl Sevtt , Thomas

To each his own, but Tom is a nut!!! It's good to have focus Mac but I have to tell you I sure miss the Mcdonald recycling program... :)
A side by side look at the two VE long necks ! Mac

:D
If you ever need to rehome any of those closer to the homeland mac,i could maybe help you out, :lol: ;)
as of this morning fuel here is now 96pence a litre for unleaded and 99pence for diesel, :cry:

Like the new sword russ,i was thinking of one of these as they were listed,looks pretty :cool:
Lee O'Hagan wrote:
:D
If you ever need to rehome any of those closer to the homeland mac,i could maybe help you out, :lol: ;)
as of this morning fuel here is now 96pence a litre for unleaded and 99pence for diesel, :cry:

Very generous of ye, laddie ..... but methinks England has confiscated it's fair share of 'em ;-)

It's amazing how every other utility gets regulated, in its pricing , yet oil companies skate ?
I dunno ..... maybe fat arsed America needs to walk, or ride a bike, a little more anyways ! Mac

Scottish hand & half broadsword, c. 1525, with a narwhale grip and a 40" blade.
* James Forman Collection
- 'Swords & Sword Makers of England & Scotland', Richard Bezdek.

Attachment: 57.06 KB
Forman claidheamh.jpg

Attachment: 16.1 KB
Forman claymore full.jpg

My, oh my. Such eye-candy I woke to this morning!!! I seem to recall a photo of a strange four-quillon claymore with a curved spiral grip. Anyone have photos or more info on that one? Keep the pics coming!!!.......mcm.
Mark Moore wrote:
My, oh my. Such eye-candy I woke to this morning!!! I seem to recall a photo of a strange four-quillon claymore with a curved spiral grip. Anyone have photos or more info on that one? Keep the pics coming!!!.......mcm.

Here ya go, Mark !

Attachment: 51.15 KB
four quillion.jpg

Yup......That's the one. Strange beast, that. I can imagine the look on the face of an English soldier when confronted by a blood-crazed Highlander carrying a monstrous sword such as that. You know any history on it, Mac?....mcm
:(
Aye, they took more than their share, no doubt at notable cost though,
no complaints my end on the oil companies,they actually take less than 20pence of the mentioned cost,
do you know or have seen a modern commision of the four quillon sword? you tried to bend anyone's ear on one :D
cool pics,
Mark Moore wrote:
Yup......That's the one. Strange beast, that. I can imagine the look on the face of an English soldier when confronted by a blood-crazed Highlander carrying a monstrous sword such as that. You know any history on it, Mac?....mcm

Hi Mark

I don't have much information on that piece !
I believe it was bequeathed by the late James Drummond (Ancient Scottish Weapons, 1881), and is of 16th century make !
Drummond stated in his book that the spiral handle is carved ivory, but I've heard say it is walrus bone ! ?
I think the MOS card says it "belonged to Robert The Bruce, but actually c. 16th century" !

It does not strike me as the best hilt to go into a fight with, but I suppose it would really come down to who was weilding it !

An interesting sword nonetheless ! Mac

Attachment: 110.92 KB
4 quillion full view.JPG

Attachment: 119.11 KB
MOS 4 quillion 2.jpg

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
do you know or have seen a modern commision of the four quillon sword? you tried to bend anyone's ear on one :D cool pics,

Hi Lee

I swear I heard of someone who was going to have one made, don't recall by who ?, but I've not seen one so far !

It would be an interesting piece to have recreated .... but there are so many other swords I'd sooner have made that I'm afraid someone else will eventually have one long before 'ol Mac does !
I guess I've always looked at it as more of a historical novelty than a serious fighting sword so I've never had that fire a' burning to commission one !

Perhaps 'ol Mark needs to take up the flag and run with it ;-) Mac
First 3 - Highland claymore, c. 1560-70 (The British Museum)
* Photo: The Thirteenth Park Lane Arms Fair

Second 2 - unkown ?
Photo: Highlanders; A History of the Highland Clans, Fitzrot MacLean, 1995.

Photos - cropped & enlarged by Mac

Attachment: 36.95 KB
two hand scot claymore 3.jpg

Attachment: 41.27 KB
two hand scot guard.jpg

Attachment: 45.15 KB
two hand scot claymore pommel.jpg

Attachment: 90.26 KB
two hand scot claymore 5.jpg

Attachment: 99.29 KB
two hand scot claymore 4.jpg

1. The Whitelaw claymore, c. 1530
Photo: European Arms & Armour At Kelvingrove, JG Scott, 1980.
2. The "Noel Paton" claymore, c. 1550
* Photo: The Thirteenth Park Lane Arms Fair, 1996.

3. The Clontarf claymore, c. 16th century
* Photo: Sixteenth Century Irish Swords in the National Museum of Ireland, Hayes-McCoy, 1959 Dublin.

* Photos cropped & enlarged by Mac

Attachment: 69.56 KB
Noel paton claymore.jpg

Attachment: 58.09 KB
Clontarf claymore.jpg

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Sat 03 Sep, 2005 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Page 3 of 6

Jump to: