Xth or XIth Byzantine or Fatimid sword
Members might enjoy a brief article I had the opportunity to put together on a previously unpublished early sword of the 'cuff hilt' type. These are quite rare and it is always exciting to see another emerge.

http://iainnorman.com/essays/2019/01/a-likely...centuries/

[ Linked Image ]
Re: Xth or XIth Byzantine or Fatimid sword
Iain Norman wrote:
Members might enjoy a brief article I had the opportunity to put together on a previously unpublished early sword of the 'cuff hilt' type. These are quite rare and it is always exciting to see another emerge.

http://iainnorman.com/essays/2019/01/a-likely...centuries/

[ Linked Image ]

Helo. Again i dont hink theese are as rare as many people think. If you havent yet then check "Materials in Archaeology and history of ancient and medieval crimea 2017 No:9" . Ill put more similar examples i have in my humble library.

Attachment: 227.6 KB
Bez názvu.png

Attachment: 162.33 KB
Bez názvu2.png

Attachment: 154.24 KB
Bez názvu3.png

Attachment: 126.54 KB
serce limani a jiné.jpg

Extant examples certainly exist, however within the typology available there are relatively few of the specific guard form in the example documented. The closest are the Pliska and Galovo finds.

Generally a reasonable number of 'cuffed guard' examples are available, but these are in a variety of forms over several centuries.

The article you referenced is actually included within my bibliography.
Ah i see now. Sorry for redundant post then. The fact they are spread accorss many countries had something to do with eastern roman empire being that spread. I am not aware of any other type of byzantine sword being that common in terms of finds (and also depictions) for 8-12 century.
Jacek Gramlowski wrote:
Ah i see now. Sorry for redundant post then. The fact they are spread accorss many countries had something to do with eastern roman empire being that spread. I am not aware of any other type of byzantine sword being that common in terms of finds (and also depictions) for 8-12 century.

It does seem to generally be the most common, there is still some debate about how many of these are Byzantine versus Arab in origin, but in general the Byzantines were quite quick to adopt other styles of weaponry. Finds include not just Europe but also Egypt, Syria and Persia. The basic style survived within Omani types into the 19th century as well.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: