Excalibor Medieval Boutique
In the spring I went up to Montreal for a school trip. While in Old Montreal I came to a small store by the name of "Excalibor". It had a lot of Medieval costumes, jewlery, armour, daggers, and swords. Sadly, most of the swords were decorative Marto swords with outragous prices for the quality ($250-$600). I bought a small decorative dagger for a decently cheap price as a souvenir.

From what I understand there is a chain of these stores all over Quebec. It would be a good place to find "Faire garb". Has anyone else been to/ heard of this place? Just curious! :)

-Michael F.

the site... www.Excalibor.com
Micheal;

I live in Montréal and I have been to a couple of their stores: With the costume stuff I am not qualified to judge about authenticity but I think they are closer to Ren. Fair .

With the swords they only seem to stock wallhangers and movie swords at really high prices !

I saw one Lord of the rings wallhanger with a 4 figure price ? :eek: And unless it was an original prop made for the movie or a custom version made by a top maker this was a " Sucker beware " situation.
This sword " looked " exactly like the movie swords you could get for a couple of hundred dollars " TOP ".

The prices for the rest of their stuff was closer to reasonable.

A lot of decorator stuff, dragon themed, fantasy medieval etc.....

Well I can't say that I am a regular client: But a quick look around equaled " sticker shock " :p :lol:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well I can't say that I am a regular client: But a quick look around equaled " sticker shock " :p :lol:

Exactly how I felt! I saw a claymore for $600! You can easily find something like it online for half the price. There were alot of "wow"'s and gasps from some of my friends who acted like they thought they could use the swords in battle.

That Lord of the rings sword price is insane! You can find a nice wallhanger for $50.

I just found out the dagger I bought was a "Denix" dagger. :eek: That means it was cast from a "metal alloy" and is impossible to sharpen.
I haven't been in a Excalibor store, but I've been in several similar establishments. It is always such a let down, and I shudder to think people might be buying those wall hangers at such prices. There is a booth at the renaissance festival I attend which also falls into this category, and of course it does the most business out of the various weapon vendors.
Oh, I do remember talking to a sales girl at a similar store and mentioning that their swords were not functional: I basically got a rolling of eyes with " We wouldn't want to sell or stock REAL weapons " So some sort of impossible to sharpen alloy would be their first choice. :p :lol:
they may sell over priced wall hangers, but im kinda liking the female garb model :D
Joel;

Oh, I wouldn't want to run them down for all their product line and prices: Their clothes could be worth while for casual Ren. Fair use or even maybe L.H. in some specific cases ??? For obvious ( sword related ) reasons I don't spend a lot of time there :p :lol:

( Well the sales staff tends to be " attractive " :lol: )
I agree, some of their men;s stuff is rather nice. I particularly like this...
http://www.excalibor.com/english/english.htm
Don't know what i'd use it with, but still rather nice, how is the quality of their clothing?
Joel;

Quality of clothes I can't say as I didn't fondle the " Bustiers " MUCH. :p ( JOKE )

Even if i had a closer look I don't have the expertise to give a fair evaluation.

Stuff from Revival Clothing I would buy with more confidence sight unseen as an example, based on my satisfaction with their gambison and 14th century shoes..
Joel Chesser wrote:
how is the quality of their clothing?

I'm not exactly sure, but I got to try some stuff on. The shirt I tried on felt like it was wool, and the drawstring thing was real leather. Seems at least decently accurate...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: