Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Books! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Books!         Reply with quote

I just received my copy of "The Sword in the Age of Chivalry" in the mail today. Purchased from Powell's Books, Used-VG, 1995 Hardbound, $19.95!
I already own "The Sword in Anglo-Saxon England" and I plan on purchasing "Swords of the Viking Age" shortly.

Questions:
--How hard is it to find a hardbound copy of "Records?" I've been looking for a while with no luck. I would settle on paperback, but I'm picky.
--Regarding "Sword in Hand," I can't seem to find this anywhere but A&A. Does this book have anything important to add to "ROTMS" and "TSITAOC?"
--Any other suggestions for indispensible sources? I'm always on the lookout at the local used-book stores.

Regards,
Brian M
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Last time I looked the current copy of Musuem Replicas' Catalog was offering a paperback edition of Records, and a search I tried on Amazon turned up about 3-5 copies, all paperback, being sold by various used book dealers. Hope this helps Happy
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I searched for a couple of months a year ago and could only find the paperback. However if any does know where to get one I also would be interested.
Gary
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your only chance to get a hardback copy of Records is to keep checking the used book sites on the internet. Have you tried the UK version of Amazon? - www.amazon.co.uk -

Sword in Hand can only be found at A&A. It you've read Oakeshott's other books, you won't get much if any new information -- even the sword photographs are of examples that appear elsewhere in his work. It is a high quality book though.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ditto on keeping an eye out. I found a fairly pristine Records in HC a couple of years ago from a Canadian bookseller. Minus only its dustcover. I paid just over $100. There were two more listed but that was two years ago.

I'll take a poke around and see what I can find.

Cheers

GC

Well, hmmm ho; Not a lot out there. It looks like Amazon is your best bet. They quote $117 usd for the HC Records, when they can find one and when you get to the head of the list.
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyone ever bought from this online site?
www.overstock.com
F.Y.I., they have "TSITAOC" for $20 (new pbk) and "Records OTMS" (new pbk) for $28, both about $6 cheaper than Amazon. Shipping is $1.40 each. I just ordered "Swords of the Viking Age" (apparently the last copy) from them for $54, but I'm holding out for a hardbound "Records." Looks like the best prices out there for these books if anyone needs a copy.

Brian M

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Books!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic