Something a a little different
Hey Everyone,

As you know I'm not typically all about swords in the fantasy genre. Don't get me wrong I've built scabbards for some truly bizarre things but there's very few fantasy pieces that I would say "hey I would like one of those." The exception seems to be things turned out by Mr. Rick Barrett. I just recently finished up this order for a Danish customer. He ordered the Elvish Archer's dagger from Rick. According to Rick's site the the blade is made from 1075. The blade also features a double hamon. This is truly a wicked dagger. At 20 inches long it very nearly qualifies as a short sword and I believe that it would probably do very well as a cutter. That's right, a cutter. It is balanced out so that you just want to swing it at something rather then stab something with it. The scabbard actually conforms to the shape of the blade although that my be difficult to see in some of these pictures. I believe that if I do this sort of thing again I will need to exaggerate the curves on the core a little more since the leather tends to smooth out some of the detail.
Another pic
Another pic
I had a chance to see this piece while visiting Albion a few weeks ago. It's very nice! The details are pretty fantastic. The fit and finish is nothing short of perfect. I'd love to own this piece, as well.

(by the way, you can attach all three pics in one post, Russ.. nice, eh?)
Sword that this dagger is to go en suite with...
Drat did not realize that! I'll do that next time!
Like Nathan, I was able to examine this piece first hand.

Rick brought several examples of his work to New Glarus, and I was very impressed with all of them. Ricks attention to detail, as well as the level of fit and finish in his work, is excellent.

Nice scabbard work Russ :D
Absolutely, Rick is very impressive. There is basically no way to tell except visually of course where the fittings like the butt cap and end and the wood begins. The man is apparently a talented woodworker (who the heck uses black palm anyway? :) ) as well as an accomplished metal smith. Everyone I've let see this knife basically says "WOW." The customer just caught sight of these pictures... his reaction: "WOW" :) It was a PAIN to scabbard though. :)
Pain or no, it looks nice.
Thanks Joe, as is often the case it turns out that this customer is getting something of a deal. If I would have known how much of a hassle this thing would be I would have come up with a bigger price. :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: