Albion's Sleepy Hollow Sword
Chad's posting of the ebay Albion barbarian swords auctions inspired me to take a look at their site, as I haven't been their in a while.

I found the coming "Sleep Hollow" sword sharing space with Peter Johnsson's work.

Now as Mac can testify, I'm none to fond of this sword. Not so much due to it's intrinsic hideousness, but because of the injury it does to a bit of American history. But I suppose that can be layed at Tim Burton's doorstep and not Albion's.

But that's another matter. What I'm interested in here is this: After the movie came out and the fans were clamoring for a copy of the sword, the word was that Burton was firm about not having it reproduced.

The two or three (or perhaps a bit more) months ago, I noticed a couple of those stainless-steel type reproduction marketers were announcing the coming of the Sleepy Hollow sword. One was in the US, I believe, and the other UK.

Now Albion's working on their version.

So what's the story?
Re: Albion's Sleepy Hollow Sword
Scott Bubar wrote:
Chad's posting of the ebay Albion barbarian swords auctions inspired me to take a look at their site, as I haven't been their in a while.

I found the coming "Sleep Hollow" sword sharing space with Peter Johnsson's work.

Now as Mac can testify, I'm none to fond of this sword. Not so much due to it's intrinsic hideousness, but because of the injury it does to a bit of American history. But I suppose that can be layed at Tim Burton's doorstep and not Albion's.

But that's another matter. What I'm interested in here is this: After the movie came out and the fans were clamoring for a copy of the sword, the word was that Burton was firm about not having it reproduced.

The two or three (or perhaps a bit more) months ago, I noticed a couple of those stainless-steel type reproduction marketers were announcing the coming of the Sleepy Hollow sword. One was in the US, I believe, and the other UK.

Now Albion's working on their version.

So what's the story?

Hey Scott!

Pretty simple story.

In 2001 I found the original molds -- they had been purchased, unknowingly, by a private collector who had bought a crate full of costumes from the production company. I put in a marker at that point with Paramont, but apparently things were a bit strained between management there and the producers of the film. Management changed at Paramount recently, allowing for the issue to be reopened. The thing about Tim Burton is myth, Factory X (MRL/Windlass) had also been trying to get a license, so now we each have one.

Film Swords, as someone astutely guessed on another forum a while ago, gives us money we can invest in the historical research and development. If it hadn't been for Conan, for example, there may not have been a PJ Museum or NextGen line...

I also believe that the same care and attention should be paid to any sword, whether it is historical or film in origin.

We are trying to keep to the "crossover" between the two sites to a minimum, but we have a number of customers who just love swords, whether from history or film -- so some announcements we feel compelled to do on both sites.

Best,

Howy
Thanks Howy.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: