myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > This afternoon's medieval faire. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey! There's an Arby's sign in the background in the one photo. Shall we debate the significance of that one too. Laughing Out Loud

Seriously though, thanks to you both. I knew it was a biblical reference but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Hey! There's an Arby's sign in the background in the one photo. Shall we debate the significance of that one too. Laughing Out Loud

Seriously though, thanks to you both. I knew it was a biblical reference but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Mmmm beef and cheddar...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Hey! There's an Arby's sign in the background in the one photo. Shall we debate the significance of that one too.

America's Religious Belief, Yes Sir!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since we've been talking about Norman dress (great pics Patrick, by the way) I'd like to know more about hair styles and facial hair. From my vague memory I seem to recall that Normans often wore mustaches. Also I believe that a type of bowl cut with a very high shaved back was in fashion (back of the head. I'm not talking about back hair *g*). Am I right? I haven't the slightest idea what women's hair styles/makeup were like. Oh, and did they eat delicious roast beef sandwiches smothered in unidentifiable yellow cheese-like sauce? Anyone...anyone??
Constant and true.
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
Since we've been talking about Norman dress (great pics Patrick, by the way) I'd like to know more about hair styles and facial hair. From my vague memory I seem to recall that Normans often wore mustaches. Also I believe that a type of bowl cut with a very high shaved back was in fashion (back of the head. I'm not talking about back hair *g*). Am I right? I haven't the slightest idea what women's hair styles/makeup were like. Oh, and did they eat delicious roast beef sandwiches smothered in unidentifiable yellow cheese-like sauce? Anyone...anyone??

Thanks Jay, it was a lot of fun.

Most depictions I've seen indicate the the normans prefered to be clean shaven. The only personage illustrated on the Bayeaux Tapestry that's wears a mustache is Harold Godwinson. I've read that the mustache was a fashoin with the saxon's so this may have been a way to single Harold out on the tapestry. Other sources do indicate that the normans prefered a haircut that was extremely short, or shaven in the back. I'm not going that far. My short buzz-cut will have to do. And my agencies uniform regulations won't allow me to grow a proper period mustache anyway. Sad

Ever try to eat a hotdog by shoving it under the nasal guard on your helmet? It doesn't work too well. Ah the joys of experimental archeology!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

now all you gotta do is get one of these for your next outting! (i'm on the right!)
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick;

Yes, that is a little known FACT that no one should be so ill-informed to ignore but: THE TRUE PURPOSE of the nasal guard was to help the fashionably thin Norman warrior to stay that way by making hot dog eating difficult. Unfortunately some Norman anorexics straved themselves to death by refusing to remove their nasal helms for months at a time.

If used in moderation this could become popular as the " Norman " diet plan: Lets visualize a T.V. commercial of a certain unnamed " fat actress " wearing a nasal helm and showing her before and after shots. HMMMMMMM a whole bunch of actresses wearing nasal helms on the red carpet at the OSCARS being questioned about who they are wearing: Versache and a helm by Valentine armouries. Razz Razz Razz

Back to the real world, in case this post doesn't generate enough HAHAHAs: Seriously cutting your air to look Norman would be a bit of a commitment, although today just about anything goes with hardly a glance when you live in a big city: You might feel self-conscious but hardly anyone would notice. Oh, I shaved all my air " once " just out of curiousity a few months back. I found that the razor burn what not that much FUN: Now I just trim it down to a very short buzz cut every few months.

If you use a professional hair clipper without any accessories to keep the cut longer you get a cut equivalent to about 10 days of regrowth after you shaved it with a razor. Oh, I save money on barbers because all I have to do is BUZZZZZZZ away and all my hair ends up at 1 / 16" long. ( 1/8" or 1/4" if I use a plastic guard. )

Well this should be more than anybody needs to know. Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
And my agencies uniform regulations won't allow me to grow a proper period mustache anyway. Sad

But I thought cops were supposed to have mustaches. Wink

Does anyone have any idea about Norman womens' hair/makeup?

Constant and true.
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:

now all you gotta do is get one of these for your next outting! (i'm on the right!)

You so rock Chuck. Going to do it again for Hastings?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > This afternoon's medieval faire.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: