Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Atrim vs Albion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
John Magee

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I understand the hesitance to compare, but I'm not looking for straight numbers, I want personal opinion of people who have handled one or more the these blades, or even a similar sword by one of these fine smiths, like what Shane gave. It's not like were trying to compare a jian to a falchion, the regent and the 1520 have very similar length, width, and balance, but one weighs a pound more. I know light weight isn't everything, one of my favorite swords is the arms and armor german bastard, it hits hard. After all force is mass and acceleration, so if you can move 4 pounds as fast as 2 pounds your blow will deliver twice as much force. That said it can be a sluggish sword when you one hand it. I'm just curious if you are sacrificing anything, one way or the other, such as handling or thrusting ability, by having a pound difference. What I'm looking for is a bastard probably of type XII or XVIII that could stand up to a variety of different combat situation, I tend to prefer one handed use but I like having the option, I have fought one handed with a practice weopon modeled after the a&a german made by http://www.rsw.com.hk/gbs.htm Once again I just looking for your guys personal opinion, myArmoury is the best website of its kind that I have seen, I'm not trying to get on your nerves, I just want to know what you think of these swords. Thanks again you've all been a great help.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Magee wrote:
I understand the hesitance to compare, but I'm not looking for straight numbers, I want personal opinion of people who have handled one or more the these blades, or even a similar sword by one of these fine smiths, like what Shane gave. It's not like were trying to compare a jian to a falchion, the regent and the 1520 have very similar length, width, and balance, but one weighs a pound more. I know light weight isn't everything, one of my favorite swords is the arms and armor german bastard, it hits hard. After all force is mass and acceleration, so if you can move 4 pounds as fast as 2 pounds your blow will deliver twice as much force. That said it can be a sluggish sword when you one hand it. I'm just curious if you are sacrificing anything, one way or the other, such as handling or thrusting ability, by having a pound difference. What I'm looking for is a bastard probably of type XII or XVIII that could stand up to a variety of different combat situation, I tend to prefer one handed use but I like having the option, I have fought one handed with a practice weopon modeled after the a&a german made by http://www.rsw.com.hk/gbs.htm Once again I just looking for your guys personal opinion, myArmoury is the best website of its kind that I have seen, I'm not trying to get on your nerves, I just want to know what you think of these swords. Thanks again you've all been a great help.

With the Regent, you are not giving up anything (IMO). It accelerates magnificently, its stiff and thrusts true, and its very easy to redirect. It will flat out spoil you but the pommel does take some getting used to. If you normally grip the pommel, you may not like it at first. Give it some time and everything is fine. Its a freaking brilliant sword that works great one handed or two (IMO). However, its not a light bastard sword which seems to be more of what you're looking for based on your last post (all IMO).

Neither is the Baron (IMO).

Don't know about the Atrims.

If you really prefer single handed use, I would advise you to look at the new Crecy or even the Landgraf/Sempach in the Albion NG line. Both are physically lighter Longswords ( Wink ) that are very accomodating of one handed use. Althought the Landgraf really likes to halfsword (IMO). Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
John Magee

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Joe, I think I might end up waiting to Albions Earl comes out, it looks like it'll use the same blade as the regent but the grip and pommel fit better with my tastes.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Magee wrote:
Thanks Joe, I think I might end up waiting to Albions Earl comes out, it looks like it'll use the same blade as the regent but the grip and pommel fit better with my tastes.

Its the same blade as the Regent with a different pommel and guard.

I think I ordered the first one! Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparison         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
For example, consider the Baron. I've tried to get the hang of using it four times at day long cutting parties (for lack of a better term). Try as I might I just can't consistently find the sweet spot and cut with it the way I know it can cut. Other people cut with it just fine at the same events so the issue is me, not the sword. Net effect, I don't prefer the Baron because I'm not consistent with it, which really says nothing about the Baron.

Joe

Last month the ARMA DFW study group held a cutting traning session. Some of our members were having the same experience with the Baron as you. They too were trying to cut with the sweet spot of the blade, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the blade length down from the tip. They were instructed to cut more toward the tip of the blade since the tip travels at a much higher speed then the area of the blade they were previously trying to cut with. Once they started cutting more toward the tip of the blade their cuts greatly improved.

Ran Pleasant
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Comparison         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
For example, consider the Baron. I've tried to get the hang of using it four times at day long cutting parties (for lack of a better term). Try as I might I just can't consistently find the sweet spot and cut with it the way I know it can cut. Other people cut with it just fine at the same events so the issue is me, not the sword. Net effect, I don't prefer the Baron because I'm not consistent with it, which really says nothing about the Baron.

Joe

Last month the ARMA DFW study group held a cutting traning session. Some of our members were having the same experience with the Baron as you. They too were trying to cut with the sweet spot of the blade, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the blade length down from the tip. They were instructed to cut more toward the tip of the blade since the tip travels at a much higher speed then the area of the blade they were previously trying to cut with. Once they started cutting more toward the tip of the blade their cuts greatly improved.

Thanks for the "tip". Big Grin

Next time I have acces to a Baron I'll have to try that adjustment.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Atrim vs Albion
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: