Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > WOW - Wilkinson to close!! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bob Uhl

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Inferior German Swords         Reply with quote

Peter Busch wrote:
What has happened is that WK&C for example as the main remaining sword cutler in Germany has been forced to provide a very wide range of swords. These range in price from a couple of hundred Euros to perhaps 7,000 Euros. There is no doubt in my mind that they are just as capable of providing Wilkinson price level swords if asked to (and indeed for some clients they would). WK&C were simply providing a lower cost alternative to a Wilkie.

Oh, certainly they could (and in fact the Wilkinson US Naval Sword was < $1,000, so much cheaper than and 7,000 euro item). I just know that there were three places that naval officers could get their swords: Spain, Germany or Wilkinson's, and that Wilkinson had the best quality. My brother has often told me of how a fellow officer would show up one day, giddy and excited that he'd gotten a good sword from Germany, and wanted to compare (and show off) with everyone else. Tom would just say nice things about the German sword, but the other fellow would invariably want to see his side-by-side with Tom's. Eventually, my dear brother would give in (there's only so long that anyone can be nice) and bring his out, upon which the other officer's face would sink when he realised that his wasn't quite as nice as he'd believed.

All of which is to say that Wilkinson made the best dress swords in the business (that I know of--perhaps there's a better maker out there?), and that it's a true shame that they're history. I still can't quite believe it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > WOW - Wilkinson to close!!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: