Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > NG Knight vs. Squire Knightly Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: NG Knight vs. Squire Knightly         Reply with quote

I am looking into a one hander for practice use to compliment my Viceroy, and the primary criterion for my purchase is handling. Since it seems a majority of opinions indicate the NG Knight has some of the best handling characteristics of any sword, it seems this is the ideal I am shooting for in my purchase.

Since I'm not interested in appearance, rather handling characteristics, I would like to know how the squire knightly handles compared to its big brother. I wonder because it has been said the knightly has a thicker blade due to the blunt edge. I'm hoping to hear from those who have handled both.

Due to the thicker edge I'm wondering if it’s as agile and responsive as the knight. If it is, or comes close, it may be what I want, otherwise I may have to save up for the Knight. The thing is the squire knightly may suite my needs better, since I plan to practice with it, and being I am not currently skilled in sword use, its unsharpened edge would reduce my chances of injury. But I don't want to sacrifice handling when the Knight can be blunted. Though since this will just be practice sword there is really no need to spend twice as much unless there is a noticeable difference in handling, but I guess what is noticeable to a skilled swordsman probably will not be noticeable to a novice like my self.

Well anyway that’s my situation, hopefully you guys who have more experince and have handle these can advise me, since the only real sword I have ever seen is my own viceroy.

Thanks,
Lance
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NG Knight vs. Squire Knightly         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
I am looking into a one hander for practice use to compliment my Viceroy, and the primary criterion for my purchase is handling. Since it seems a majority of opinions indicate the NG Knight has some of the best handling characteristics of any sword, it seems this is the ideal I am shooting for in my purchase.

Since I'm not interested in appearance, rather handling characteristics, I would like to know how the squire knightly handles compared to its big brother. I wonder because it has been said the knightly has a thicker blade due to the blunt edge. I'm hoping to hear from those who have handled both.

Due to the thicker edge I'm wondering if it’s as agile and responsive as the knight. If it is, or comes close, it may be what I want, otherwise I may have to save up for the Knight. The thing is the squire knightly may suite my needs better, since I plan to practice with it, and being I am not currently skilled in sword use, its unsharpened edge would reduce my chances of injury. But I don't want to sacrifice handling when the Knight can be blunted. Though since this will just be practice sword there is really no need to spend twice as much unless there is a noticeable difference in handling, but I guess what is noticeable to a skilled swordsman probably will not be noticeable to a novice like my self.

Well anyway that’s my situation, hopefully you guys who have more experince and have handle these can advise me, since the only real sword I have ever seen is my own viceroy.

Thanks,
Lance

From what Peter's said, the Knight will never be safe to spar with, even when it's blunted. It's edge will still be too accute. If you want to spar, go with a sword from either the Squire Line or the Maestro Line.
Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: NG Knight vs. Squire Knightly         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:

From what Peter's said, the Knight will never be safe to spar with, even when it's blunted. It's edge will still be too accute. If you want to spar, go with a sword from either the Squire Line or the Maestro Line.

I'm not going to spar with it. I just want to become proficient in handling it by my self, alone. My brother can do some pretty wicked moves and stuff with his katana, looks very impressive to watch him go. I just want to get some tips from him and take it from there, develope my own style. I want the quickest sword I can get for this purpose, thats why I am interested in the knight or knighty, as it seems to be the quickest, and if one is quicker than the other, then thats what i'm interested in.

Kind of like how somebody would get nun-chucks just for the sake of becoming good. I'm just interested in perfecting it as an art or skill of sorts, for my own enjoyment and inner/mental dicipline.

Then again if I want the quickest sword, maybe a katana is what I should be looking at. But for now I'm considering these two...
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: NG Knight vs. Squire Knightly         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
I'm not going to spar with it. I just want to become proficient in handling it by my self, alone. My brother can do some pretty wicked moves and stuff with his katana, looks very impressive to watch him go. I just want to get some tips from him and take it from there, develope my own style. I want the quickest sword I can get for this purpose, thats why I am interested in the knight or knighty, as it seems to be the quickest, and if one is quicker than the other, then thats what i'm interested in.

Then again if I want the quickest sword, maybe a katana is what I should be looking at. But for now I'm considering these two...

One can safely handle a sharp - it just needs it's proper respect. Of course, a dull edge can increase the safety margin significantly.

When you say quickest, I'm not really sure what you are looking for. There are so many different ways to use a sword - thus the wide array of design properties. Not all techniques are really applicable (at least, not really effective) with all types. Because of this, one type may feel more "right" than another depending upon the movements you are performing.

Having said that, for a 1-hander, of the general populous that I have put a sword in their hand, the Knight seems to be the one that puts the person most at ease. (hope that made sense - it's not quite 2:00 am Worried ) The Knightly will exhibit similar characteristics. It is a touch lighter and a touch shorter, but it's CoG is 1/4 inch forward. I'm guessing that it may feel ever so slightly less responsive, but not so much that I would frown on it. Given a gloved hand and a blindfold, hand me one or the other, and I don't know that I would really be able to tell the difference between the two.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my opinion the only way to gain respect for a sharp is to practice handling a sharp. A dull edge may increase the safety margin but it may also increase the handlers complacency. Lately we've discussed the concerns of safe handling and safety equipment, but I feel that we can also take that a bit too far. We're handling swords, and they can be dangerous, but life in itself is dangerous just by living it. We need to learn to deal with it or sit in the rear with the faint of heart.

If having a blunted training tool is a primary concern you'd be well served by buying a wooden waster for that purpose, and going with the Knight. The only Squire Line sword I've handled is the viking, and I was favorably impressed by it's handling qualities when compared to other swords in it's price range. I can't comment on the SL knightly sword since I haven't handled one. If you want a companion for your Viceroy I think you need a sword as equally impressive, and the Knight is one of the most impressive Albions to date.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jörg W.

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

discussing the subject of handling characteristics id like to pose a question too.

what are the indices for a responsive, agile sword with good point control and fast recovery on one hand and power and blade presence on the other?

e.g. studying the specifications of 3 single hand swords from Albion and reading through myArmoury reviews of Knight, Prince and Squire i wasnt able to get the facts as straight as i hoped.

taken from here:
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_princesquire.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_knight.html

Measurements and Specifications for the Prince:
Weight: 2 pounds, 7 ounces (1106 g)
Overall length: 38 5/8 inches (98,12 cm)
Blade length: 31 13/16 inches (80,80 cm)
Blade width: 2 3/16 inches at base, tapering to 1/2 inch (5,56 cm, 1,27 cm)
Grip length: 3 3/4 inches (9,52 cm)
Guard width: 7 9/16 inches (19,21 cm)
Point of Balance: 4 3/4 inches from guard (12,06 cm)
Center of Percussion: ~21 1/2 inches from guard (~54,61 cm)

Measurements and Specifications for the Squire:
Weight: 2 pounds, 8 ounces (1134 g)
Overall length: 38 5/8 inches (98,12 cm)
Blade length: 32 1/16 inches (81,44 cm)
Blade width: 2 3/16 inches at base, tapering to 1/2 inch (5,56 cm, 1,27 cm)
Grip length: 4 1/8 inches (10,38 cm)
Guard width: 7 11/16 inches (19,53 cm)
Point of Balance: 4 7/8 inches from guard (12,38 cm)
Center of Percussion: ~22 1/2 inches from guard (~57,15 cm)

Measurements and Specifications of the Knight:
Weight: 2 pounds, 10 ounces (1191 g)
Overall length: 38 1/8 inches (96,84 cm)
Blade length: 31 3/8 inches (79,69 cm)
Blade width: 2 inches at base (5,08 cm)
Blade thickness: .192 inches (0,49 cm)
Grip length: 4 1/4 inches (10,79 cm)
Guard width: 6 1/2 inches (16,51 cm)
*Point of Balance: 3 1/2 inches from guard (8,89 cm) ->> 4 1/2 inch (11,43 cm)
Center of Percussion: ~21 inches from guard (~53,34 cm)

*the stats differ from these at Albion. i guess it is a typo at myArmoury.

Squire and Prince are both of type XVI. that means they should be quicker cut and trust sword,
while the Knight is of XII which are swords of greater blade presence and better cutter than former mentioned sword type.
imagining a sword gripped close to guard i thought its easiest to compare PoBs (point of balance, aka CoG center of gravity) to get an idea about what the main purpose of a sword is.
here now we have the XII with closer PoB, while weight is only slightly higher and overall length even smaller compared to the XVIs. with the theory i had the XII would be the sword with better response, which shouldnt be the case.
actually the difference between the PoB of the Knight (XII) and that of the XVIs is bigger than the difference between the XVIs (Squire and Prince). but even a small difference should be sensible as the review reads: "The farther PoB of the Squire lends a little extra blade presence to that sword..".
so how can i get an idea (even the slightest) of a sword's feel in my hand by looking at its specifications?

i hope i made my point clear enough.
any thoughts appreciated.

regards Jörg
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It may be a typo but it isn't at myArmoury. Please don't assume that. Big Grin

Quote:
imagining a sword gripped close to guard i thought its easiest to compare PoBs (point of balance, aka CoG center of gravity) to get an idea about what the main purpose of a sword is.

A sword's PoB means nothing by itself alone, and will tell you nothing about the swords handling qualities if it isn't conected to the swords other statistics and qualities. All of these things work in harmony with each other in a properly designed sword.

Quote:
so how can i get an idea (even the slightest) of a sword's feel in my hand by looking at its specifications?

You can't. There is simply no real way you can get a true feeling, or even a subjective impression, of a sword's handling qualities from numbers and statistics. It's impossible to adequately relate key factors like dynamic handling, mass distribution, etc., through this kind of information. These statistics can also vary a bit from sword to sword depending upon the vagaries of the manufacturing process. At the recent Atlanta Blade Show I handled two Museum Line Svantas' that had a two-inch variance in their points of balance. One sword had been returned by it's owner due to this variance. I personally don't consider this to be a flaw in the process, but rather simply a fact of the human element that goes into that process. Unfortunately the hyper-critical modern mind that wants complete continuity and consistency in everything has trouble accepting this.

Weights and measurements are one very small bit of information that we give in our reviews. This is one facet that is often overanalyzed and overvalued by the community. Unfortunately there is simply no substitute for actual handling experience. In order to get an idea of a sword's qualities the reader is far better served by carefully reading the handling descriptions included in a review, rather than paying too much attention to the statistics.

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:52 am; edited 3 times in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jörg W. wrote:
*the stats differ from these at Albion. i guess it is a typo at myArmoury.

We do a lot of reviews, and one thing we've all noticed is that our stats rarely match up with Albion's. Happy There is hand-crafting that goes into these items. For instance, my Regent weighs 4 ounces less than Nathan's or Patrick's or Albion's stats, but within an ounce of Alexi's. The POB on mine is similarly different from the published one on Albion's site ( mine's a little closer).

As for getting a feel for pieces based on stats, as Patrick said, it's hard. There's more to proper mass distribution than weight and POB. You get into pivot points and such that have as much impact on performance as weight and static balance. There are plenty of threads on proper balance in the spotlight topics section to help understand all these factors.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jörg W.

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

Too bad.
Since I haven’t the possibility to handle good replicas as some of you, I have to rely on reviews and specifications. Reviews of course can give good info, but are subjective. So (as a scientist) I prefer numbers when possible. Reading a lot about handling and harmonics (though there is much more) I agree that it’s a very difficult subject. still I wonder why PoB and CoP are used that often if they doesn’t mean Anything alone.

I agree that the specifications may differ slightly due to hand-crafting. But if swords of same type (like 2 NG Regents) differ that much (given the producer didn’t intended a change), it seems to make little sense to compare swords handling. Or is the handling of these swords still almost equal?

How do designers of swords get their facts? I can’t believe its all trial and error and. There must be some kind of scheme (mass, length, mass distribution, tapering.. for a specific type). Or is it just adding some weight here and grinding some more there until eventually the beast gets to feel as you want? And even then they need to know what to do to get closer to desired result.

My English isn’t the best, but maybe it would help me if you could use more/more precise words to transport your experiences. (easy to say – hard to accomplish, Im sure)
Some reviews (Handling Characteristics) sound to similar in my ears to get a clear distinction that obviously should exist.
So please take some swords of your collections and handle them. What adjectives come to your mind (excluding ‘well’, ‘great’, ‘outstanding’ Wink ) Directly comparing more than 2 swords same time might be good.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
still I wonder why PoB and CoP are used that often if they doesn’t mean Anything alone.

They are used primarily because people want to know about them. We now live in a highly scientific and antiseptic society that has bred much of the intuitive nature out of our species. The Cop and PoB don't mean anything by themselves except to list that a sword will have a given PoB or CoP, and people demand those specifics so we supply them. Make of them what you will. Many people do not have the opportunity to examine a large number of swords so these figures can be an aid in a most basic sense. Simply assuming that one sword will handle better than another based soley upon the location of it's point of balance is simply a gross over-simplicifaction of the issue. As had been stated, these things work in combination with each other. One sword may have a point of balance closer to the guard than another one yet have far more of a point heavy feel due to other factors like mass distribution, etc., etc.

Quote:
I agree that the specifications may differ slightly due to hand-crafting. But if swords of same type (like 2 NG Regents) differ that much (given the producer didn’t intended a change), it seems to make little sense to compare swords handling. Or is the handling of these swords still almost equal?

In the case of the two Svante's that I mentioned I personally didn't find the swords that dramatically different. The owner apparently decided this variance was unacceptable and returned the one sword. In my mind it's more a simple knowledge of knowing where the PoB was on that particular sword, and knowing how it handled because of this, rather than fixate on the demand for a specific detail like that. I personally didn't think it was a realistic expectation. This goes back to realizing the nature of an object that's made with a lot of hand work involved.

Quote:
How do designers of swords get their facts? I can’t believe its all trial and error and. There must be some kind of scheme (mass, length, mass distribution, tapering.. for a specific type). Or is it just adding some weight here and grinding some more there until eventually the beast gets to feel as you want? And even then they need to know what to do to get closer to desired result.

The better ones do it by design. Of course the design may be finalized through much trial and error in the design process, but the process is far from random. The ancient smiths had a deep grasp of things like math, geometry, design, proportion, etc. They applied these concepts to their sword making just as they did with their architecture and other pursuits.

Quote:
My English isn’t the best, but maybe it would help me if you could use more/more precise words to transport your experiences. (easy to say – hard to accomplish, Im sure)
Some reviews (Handling Characteristics) sound to similar in my ears to get a clear distinction that obviously should exist.

I mean no offense, but the problem seems to be your grasp of the english language, not the details of our reviews. Unfortunately we can't help you with that. It would be nice to have a feature where the reader could automatically translate any given review into their native language wouldn't it? In all honesty many of the questions you're asking have already been discussed here on the discussion forums as well as being written about in some of our feature articles. Doing a thorough search of these areas may be a help.

Unfortunately, from a modern standpoint sword-making runs counter to many of our sensibilities. While it uses many founded mathematical principles it's as much an art as a science, with all of the vagaries that comes with an artistic endeavor.

Lance K.

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron and Patrick, thanks for your responses, you both make excellent points and have given me some ideas I had not considered.

Lance
Doug Gardner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Beyond CoB and CoP         Reply with quote

Jorg,

From a scientific point of view, you might want to think about the problem as one encompassing many more dimensions than the simple static property of center of mass (generally referred to as center of balance) and the harmonic property frequently associated with the center of percussion. I think of particular interest in the handling of a sword are the inertial properties. Rotational inertia on an object such as a sword is relatively complex. Frankly, I'm not familiar enough with the design of the modern sword to know how the axes are commonly assigned, but let's assume that the X axis is longitudinal, down the length of the sword, Y is width, across the guard, and Z is depth or thickness. So, translating that into rotational moments, you could make up some words to define:
1. around the X axis- twist inertia
2. Around the Y axis - swing inertia
3. around the Z axis - well, I don't really know what to call it, but it will resist shifting the plane of your cut, if you understand what I'm talking about.

OK, now the issue with the dynamics as I've described them is that this description really isn't sufficient. There are actually many axes or fulcra that are relevant for swing. One is the grip, another is the wrist, a third is the elbow, and a fourth is the shoulder. For simple swinging from the wrist, elbow, or shoulder, what will matter most is the mass and the CoG in relation to the grip. However, for finer pointing what is important is not the imaginary CoG, but the distribution of the mass along these axes. Imagine you have 2 objects. One object is a 10 kilo iron ball. Another object consists of 2, 4 kilo balls connected by a 1 meter long 2 kilo steel rod. Both objects weigh 10 kilos, and but the ball will be much easier to spin and the contraption with the rod will be easier to twist.

This distribution of mass is what makes profile taper so critical in determining the handling properties of a sword.

Reading over this post, I have no idea if I helped or hurt. My point is simply this: there are a lot of principles from physics which apply here. CoG, by itself, can be very misleading. That is why you so often read things like "I never would have believed this was a 4 pound sword!" (probably relatively little of the mass is in the tip of the blade) or "This sword has surprising blade presence" (probably a lot of its mass is far out on the blade)

My guess is that most of the people in this community aren't comfortable discussing inertial tensors (ummm... including myself! Razz ) and even fewer are set up to measure them with any precision. However, like any large community, I'd predict that there are a few mechanical engineers or physics professors out there who are quite able to correct the mistakes in my description.

--Doug

Doug Gardner
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that Doug!

I think that may be more in line with what Jorg is looking for.

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: NG Knight vs. Squire Knightly         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:

Kind of like how somebody would get nun-chucks just for the sake of becoming good. I'm just interested in perfecting it as an art or skill of sorts, for my own enjoyment and inner/mental dicipline.

Lance, if I were you, I wouldn't take tips from your brother in the usage of the katana. Quite frankly, a knightly single-handed sword is very dissimilar from a katana, and you do a disservice to the Knight in trying to borrow things from your brother's katana style. Rather than simply develop your own moves based upon what is "flashy and looks good", why not try and become skilled with flouryshing (a spontaneous, solo cutting routine that employs different guards, strikes, thrusts, slices etc.)? Not only will this be far more suited to your Knight, but it will be more than just "cool looking moves" too.
Lance K.

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: NG Knight vs. Squire Knightly         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:

Lance, if I were you, I wouldn't take tips from your brother in the usage of the katana. Quite frankly, a knightly single-handed sword is very dissimilar from a katana, and you do a disservice to the Knight in trying to borrow things from your brother's katana style. Rather than simply develop your own moves based upon what is "flashy and looks good", why not try and become skilled with flouryshing (a spontaneous, solo cutting routine that employs different guards, strikes, thrusts, slices etc.)? Not only will this be far more suited to your Knight, but it will be more than just "cool looking moves" too.

Thanks for the avice. I actually just saw that awesome longsword DVD, might as well get that and practice with my Viceroy. The motions and movements I am interested in are illustrated perfectly there.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick and Aaron are correct on the issue of safety when handling sharps. I have quite a few sharps that I test cut with routinely and have had no 'incidents' while handling them. Safety is a bit less concerning if handling dulls or blunts, however, don't get too used to this wider margin of error too much; you'll end up picking up a sharp and accidentally get bit.

I've been struck with my non-sharps before that did little or no trauma -- had a sharp done the same thing, a visit to the ER would've been the result. IMHO, dry-handling or test-cutting with a sharp should not be a grave concern to someone who is good at exercising common sense, regardless of how experienced you are. It's quite likely that in this hobby, you will get cut. It may be small enough that a Band-aid will do, or so bad that the trauma surgeons have to amputate. Just my thoughts; sorry if I'm getting too off-topic. -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am thinking of picking up a SL Knightly sword sharpend to have for living history purposes, some test cutting, and as a supliment to my WMA training to actually have a sharp blade to work with. What are the thoughts of anyone who owens one of these on how they handle? I know they are of great quality for the price, Albions always are, I just cant afford to drop anymore than $300 or so and be able to finish up a crusader LH kit as well.

This sword will NOT be used for any LH fighting or sparing. My LH group just likes all of its members to have a weapon of sharpend and, dare I say, "battle ready" nature for presentation purposes.

Thanks for any help,
Jonathan.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > NG Knight vs. Squire Knightly
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic