Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Knight vs The Vinland Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Great to hear, Peter! From the concept drawing, the Reeve's cross seemed more of a bar than a spike and, to be honest, I was put off a bit by the pommel. I think this is one where the drawing just can't begin to do the design in three dimensions justice. I'll keep my eye on both as they develop - thanks Happy

Not to hijack this thread too far, but I was wondering if there were plans somewhere down the line (I know there is so much in development right now that it wouldn't be for quite a while - if nothing else I'm patient Big Grin ) for shorter swords. I have found that my collection is gravitating toward short blades - swords that are sized more as auxiliary or casual carry weapons than warswords or classic long swords - and was wondering if there was anything in this niche at least on the table for consideration. Just to give a point of reference as to what I mean by "short", my swords average approximately 30" overall length (obviously single-hand designs). I know that traditionally these kinds of swords are slower to sell and have a much smaller audience, but I was thinking that with the new Albion business model of limited editions, an occasional short run (100 pieces per model?) of these kinds of swords might just work out.

. . . and how are the Romans coming along?

Thanks!

The spike aspect of "spike-hilts" gets a bit exaggerated sometimes. Most "spike-hits" have straight bar shaped guards. Some do taper a bit towards the end, but not all. They were called spike hilts in comparison to other contemporary swords that had stubbier guards.

The guard for the "Reeve" and the "Bayeaux" is less tapering than the "Gaddhjalt" guard, but taper in a subtle way.
You´ll see it pretty soon, I guess. I will just have to ship it to new Glarus first, so in a week or so it will have arrived.

The Pommel of the "Reeve" is similar to the pommel of the "Gaddhjallt" but more full in volume: more inflated, if you like. It is a bit like a three edged peanut in shape. It´s one of those classic types. I like them very much, but I can appreciate they are not to everyones liking; therefore the pommel of the Bayeaux.

Shorter swords: you have the "Thegn". (I´ve finished the waxes for that one too, just awaits shipping to Albion). That is a short and handy sword with a light weight (less than a kilo), designed to meet the interest in lighter weapons. It also happens that Anglo Saxon swords seem to be somewhat shorter (and lighter?) than their contemporary cousins. At least those I´ve seen.

Romans: I know Eric have had one or two just about to be finished for some time now. They are coming along, but shares space with other swords in developing.

And back to the theme of the thread: -yes, the Caithness or the Laird would be excellent choises being more flamboyant than the Knight. In their scottish character they are also closer to the norse spirit, if you like. I would recommend the Laird if thrusting is a prority, because of its wheel pommel.
Joseph C.

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Owning a Gaddhjalt, I agree with Jonathon Janusz and Thomas Hoogendam; it is not a thrusting sword. For one, it has a bit too much blade presence for that. Second, the tip is very thin. Third, the whole blade is too flexible for good thrusting work, IMHO. It is a cutting sword for anything other than light targets.
Hosea 4:6a
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As if I wasn't overthinking this before, any thoughts on the relative usefulness of the Crecy or similar designs as they relate to techniques used in I.33? I've taken to the notion of using that manual to further my knowledge of swordsmanship.

Is this a design more useful for the likes of the Fetbuch, and am I again comparing apples and oranges?

Is there any place for a greatsverd in sword and buckler practical excersise? what are the historical precedents? Does the design of the hand and a half lean more toward the hand or the half? To my untrained eye, the Crecy merely looks like a rather large Knight, but I realize its not that simple, and that there's much more to it, as has been stated, than blade profile.

If I choose to follow the line of logic of I.33, should I avoid the Fetbuch altogether, so as not to confuse myself? If so, does it follow that a one hander is really he only appropriate sword to be using with a bucker?

Good heavens, so many beautiful swords, so little time!!!
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Gavin, I can't help you with the great sword and buckler stuff, suffice to say I've never seen it. Not that that means much. Happy

With 1.33, Stephen Hand is the guy to talk to. He hangs out a lot on swordforum.com's historical european swordsmanship forum. At a guess, you could make it work ok, though I personally think it would be much more suited to a type XVI rather than an XVIa, not least because of the latter's longer handle getting in the way.

As for the question on whether longswords are usually more single or two hand, it really depends. Examples of both can be found. For example, despite Albion's Baron being usable in one hand, I would say it leans much more towards two handed use. Likewise most longsword/greatswords on the market, even the smaller ones like the Crecy and the Count. Examples of the opposite are also true through. If you have Records of the Medieval Sword check out XII.8. That is probably my favourite sword in the whole book and it is, to my mind at least, an example of a decent sized one handed sword with provision for two handed use.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
With 1.33, Stephen Hand is the guy to talk to. He hangs out a lot on swordforum.com's historical european swordsmanship forum.

Stephen has been around here lately, too. Happy He definitely could shed light on the idea, even if he hasn't seen the Crecy in person (and he likely hasn't since it just started shipping).

As for using the Crecy for buckler work ala I.33, it may not be ideal. The swords illustrated in that treatise are pretty exclusively single-handers.

The Crecy is much more usable in one hand than the Duke, Baron, Count, or Regent, though.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

The Crecy is much more usable in one hand than the Duke, Baron, Count, or Regent, though.

Amen, Chad!

I dot the Cresy in my hands yesterday and it is one sweet handling sword. I was shocked at the ease of handling. It it is almost as easy to handle as my sempach and is orders of magnitude more responsive than my duke wich is only 3 oz heavier. I ordered 40 mats to see what this baby can do (i.e. what I can do with it) Eek!

Definitely a superb sword. As far as using ti with I:33......possibly not. Now that I have the knight (my first non viking single hander) I can appreciate the kinds of swords that might be used fir I:33. The knight (or the Sheriff or Sovereign) would be more appropriate I should think. As responsive as the Cresy is, it cannot compare with the knight in terms of ease of handling with a single hand...at least in my hands.

Alexi
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats pretty much as I suspected. I'm just a bit obsessive about exploring all options. While I am a pretty big guy, I didnt think it sounded ideal, I thought I'd throw it out there and see if it stuck.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Knight vs The Vinland
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: