Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from the Louisiana Round Table Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
For such a poker, that thing cuts like a demon!

For even more serious short XVa fun, try multiple cuts on both single and multiple targets. With creativity, the right medium and smart tactics it gets really crazy with a bit of practice.

Man I love the Merc. What can I say? It feels like cheating. Big Grin
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
For even more serious short XVa fun, try multiple cuts on both single and multiple targets. With creativity, the right medium and smart tactics it gets really crazy with a bit of practice.

Man I love the Merc. What can I say? It feels like cheating. Big Grin

I will next time I get my hands on one. They're bundled up, and I have to send them on their way here very soon.

I'm really still up in the air about which one of these three I want. Merc, Constable, or Castellan. It's tough to decide.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Merc, Constable, or Castellan.

They sure would look great together on your wall, with the blades crossed. Just imagine! Wow! *very mean grin*
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
They sure would look great together on your wall, with the blades crossed. Just imagine! Wow! *very mean grin*

If we weren't two evil peas in the same pod, man... Wink

I like the thought, but was actually thinking like, say, Castellan, Talhoffer/Ringneck, and Fiore... how's that rate on Anton's "wickedness scale"?

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Difficult decision. I'd say Castellan/Landgraf/Fiore. Saves you a bundle too as you already own the Landgraf IIRC. Big Grin

Not that I like the esthetics of the Castellan, or the Talhoffer for that matter. Or perhaps I should say I don't like the pictures, as I haven't seen nor handled the real thing of course. RIngeck looks nice, but the similar furniture would make my Merc look cheap and vice versa.
I really do like the Landgraf and the Fiore pics though, and will probably order 2 Fiores as my next purchases, if I feel they turn out right (47" or even more sounds good to me, though similar dimensions as the Landgraf/Sempach would be acceptable).
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
Difficult decision. I'd say Castellan/Landgraf/Fiore. Saves you a bundle too as you already own the Landgraf IIRC. Big Grin

True, I do. Might be an interesting mix, but I was thinking of only diamond cross section blades... as it is, there will probably be a X through XXII order through the Typology anyway...

The Landgraf is a really nice piece, as is the Sempach. Endless funds would get me both.

I'm looking forward to the new XVa's... can't wait to see them. It's more an issue of the grips than the pommels or crosses for me in these pieces.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jeanry Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I don't mean to interrupt your fantasizing about Wal-mart sized sword collections, but I wanted to pop in and say how much we enjoyed this event and thank you Aaron for your gracious hospitality and your generosity in allowing us to test cut with your beautiful weapons. I also want to thank Albion for providing their weapons to the mix, and making them available for cutting. These were all a delight to behold, to examine, and to cut with!

I was very impressed with the viking swords, the Brescia Spadona which, while I can only discuss based on what I myself saw and did with the weapon, was exquisitely balanced, looks fantastic, and cuts the medium we were using with the precision of a laser.

I was also particularly impressed by the Constable. Such a light, small, delicate looking, pointy weapon next to the other longswords, it almost seemed like a faerie sword. I was shocked to see what a great cutter it was.

As for my more general impressions, I'll quote from my own post to the ARMA forum:

Quote:
My two major impressions were A) how hard it is to cut properly (you can see a photo of me botching one cut in the myArmoury website) and B) how dangerous those swords are! You just don't get any real sense of it from blunts. For anyone who has been doing WMA training but hasn't had an opportunity to test cut with a really good replica sharp I highly reccomend it to enhance your understanding of these weapons and the entire concept of martial arts with swords.

This also makes my appreciation of Hollywood depictions of swords even less. Because they use aluminum blunts etc. in those movies, the physical awareness of the swords, the body language and attitude of actors toward it, is way, way too casual. I got to say it again, these things are DANGEROUS! It's definately like handling a loaded gun, thats the only thing I an compare it to.

All in all a very fun day and an invaluable learning experience. I can't wait until my sharp arrives from the Czech republic next week so I can start practicing my cutting technique. Integrating the skill and concentration needed to cut properly into WMA fighting techniques is even more of a challenge, just thinking about it it's starting to dawn upon me how long I have to go...

Finally, I really enjoyed meeting all the guys and having the fascinating (though too short!) conversations that we did have about various historical matters. it was a treat to be around so many well schooled folks. I think this was also a great chance for the other folks in our WMA group (Chris, Skip, Marjorie and Walter) to get some exposure to the world of Spathology and some of the basics of the art and science of swords, which was assisted greatly by the amusing questionnaire Albion provided.

Thanks again to Aaron especially, you are a scholar and a gentleman sir, and I speak for the whole group of us when I say we greatly look forward to extending our own hospitality to you down here in New Orleans.

Jeanry

"A strong people do not ned a strong leader."

Emiliano Zapata
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeanry Chandler wrote:
Thanks again to Aaron especially, you are a scholar and a gentleman sir, and I speak for the whole group of us when I say we greatly look forward to extending our own hospitality to you down here in New Orleans.

Jeanry, believe me, it was my pleasure. Thank you for your kind words. You guys brought a lot to the table, and I look forward to catching up soon. I appreciate you folks coming out and helping make this a success.

I also appreciate your perspective on these pieces... it does give you a different feeling about both swordsmanship and the swords themselves when you get your hands dirty, doesn't it?

We'll do this again sometime in the future... I'll definitely let you guys know when.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jeanry Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Jeanry Chandler wrote:

Jeanry, believe me, it was my pleasure. Thank you for your kind words. You guys brought a lot to the table, and I look forward to catching up soon. I appreciate you folks coming out and helping make this a success.

like I said, next time we do this I'll buy a weapon or two and make it a real success! Hopefully Dave and Lenny will be able to make it too. I've really got my eye on one of those Constable swords...

Quote:

I also appreciate your perspective on these pieces... it does give you a different feeling about both swordsmanship and the swords themselves when you get your hands dirty, doesn't it?

Yes, it does. I'm reasonably sure I'll asking you the same question though after I get you out on the sparring field, I think that is also a rather large chunk of the puzzle of understanding the nature of these marvelous artifacts. . Striking at things which are actively trying to strike you back, at full contact and full speed, with intent, is quite a profound revelation. Wink

Quote:

We'll do this again sometime in the future... I'll definitely let you guys know when.

We will indeed, thank you again for your courtesy. I mean it when I said you were a gentleman. Marjorie sends her thanks as well.

One of the nice things about this event was that it allowed as to forge a small link between the WMA and sword collectors communities, which I think is needed from both sides.

Jeanry

Emiliano Zapata
Jeanry Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One other comment: "Death to pool noodles!"

As a wise man once said, "The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."

Laughing Out Loud

Emiliano Zapata

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from the Louisiana Round Table
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic