Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Something a little different Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Something a little different         Reply with quote

Here's a genre I've never tried before... thought you guys might like to see the results...

http://www.tritonworks.com/trident.htm

Scroll down to the bottom...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

there got the bloody picture resized so I could post it...
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also just as a side note I found the hardware for this thing thanks to a link from this site! This place is great!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Something a little different         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Here's a genre I've never tried before... thought you guys might like to see the results...

Looks great, Russ! Once my budget frees up after next month's wedding (my daughter), we need to have a chat....
Joe Maccarrone

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's one of them little plastic skewers my parents used to put in cocktail weenies in the 70s, right?

Must be an awfully small scabbard... Big Grin

(Nice work, Russ!)
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Maccarrone wrote:
That's one of them little plastic skewers my parents used to put in cocktail weenies in the 70s, right?

Must be an awfully small scabbard... Big Grin

(Nice work, Russ!)

Lol I never thought about that Joe, but you are right it looks an AWFUL lot like one of those things doesn't it? It's an interesting sword, I need to post some more close up pictures of it. The owner isn't completely sure if he bought a diamond or a lemon, and I don't know enough about smallswords to tell him anything useful one way or another...

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Something a little different         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

Looks great, Russ! Once my budget frees up after next month's wedding (my daughter), we need to have a chat....

Wink Darned weddings get in the way...

Daniel Parry

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work there, particularly the furniture. Can't see the sword in any definition at all on my computer from that photo. The sword is presumably owned by the customer and he had a scabbard made ? Have you got any more photos ?

Daniel
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So where does this sword fall in the PJ Typology? Big Grin
Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the scabbard looks really great! Russ, your work keeps getting better and better.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:
Nice work there, particularly the furniture. Can't see the sword in any definition at all on my computer from that photo. The sword is presumably owned by the customer and he had a scabbard made ? Have you got any more photos ?

Daniel

Hey Daniel,

Unfortunately I can't take any credit for the furniture, I bought that off the shelf. Happy The sword does indeed belong to the customer and I do in fact have a lot of pictures. I'm going to post them in the general forum tonight as any help on iding the sword would be greatly appreciated. Happy

Daniel Parry

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I looked at your website more closely after these pics. I really like the red Crusader scabbard ! Always feel envious of people with that sort of craftsman's skill. I didn't know about the furniture on the small-sword - but then well done to that maker too as it's very fine.

I'd like to see more pics of the sword too. Couldn't see much detail at all: the scabbard came in perfect but the sword focus was very hazy - may well be my computer. Blurred images suggested French style, maybe early 19th century possibly Napoleonic, dress sword for a lowish ranking officer, maybe infantry??. But then American sword styles can confuse matters too as I've seen several with distinct French stylings (maybe as a direct result of alliegances during the War of Independence ?) and my knowledge of US swords is next to none. Something odd about the colour/patina of the blade. Has someone scrubbed it clean and left it to patinate again ?

Daniel
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:
I looked at your website more closely after these pics. I really like the red Crusader scabbard ! Always feel envious of people with that sort of craftsman's skill. I didn't know about the furniture on the small-sword - but then well done to that maker too as it's very fine.

I'd like to see more pics of the sword too. Couldn't see much detail at all: the scabbard came in perfect but the sword focus was very hazy - may well be my computer. Blurred images suggested French style, maybe early 19th century possibly Napoleonic, dress sword for a lowish ranking officer, maybe infantry??. But then American sword styles can confuse matters too as I've seen several with distinct French stylings (maybe as a direct result of alliegances during the War of Independence ?) and my knowledge of US swords is next to none. Something odd about the colour/patina of the blade. Has someone scrubbed it clean and left it to patinate again ?

Daniel

Oh thanks for the compliment Daniel! I've got a couple of other ones in the works you might find interesting too. When I get them finished I'll post more pictures.

Yeah in those pictures the sword was just eye candy but I took a lot more close ups of it which are much clearer. I'll definitely post them tonight. Any help on it would be great. I've got some concerns but I'll keep those to myself so I don't predjudice the viewing audience one way or the other.

DaK A. Wade

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
I've got a couple of other ones in the works you might find interesting too. When I get them finished I'll post more pictures.

Hi Russ,
I hope one of them is mine... After seeing this and the other great works on your new site I am all aquiver with anticipation .
Keep up the good work.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

DaK A. Wade wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
I've got a couple of other ones in the works you might find interesting too. When I get them finished I'll post more pictures.

Hi Russ,
I hope one of them is mine... After seeing this and the other great works on your new site I am all aquiver with anticipation .
Keep up the good work.

Why yes, yes it is... Happy

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ;

On another topic thread Patrick Kelly mentions that Albion is now backlogged for scabbards at about a year even for a simple campaign scabbard.

Now I like having a scabbard for all my swords, so if I order an Albion sword I will either have to get it without a scabbard or wait a year for the scabbard and sword or get the sword alone with the scabbard backordered.

When the wait is a month or so waiting is O.K. to get both shipped at the same time.

NOW for a few questions for you: Do you have standard patterns for some or all of the Albion swords ? Or would this be an interesting possibility for you to look into?( Should be good for Albion also as I might pospone getting a sword because I would prefer having a scabbard as soon as possible. )

Can you make the scabbard for a standard model you already know without having the sword shipped to you? This is more of an issue for cross border purchases. ( Canada Customs makes it less convienient than CONUS back and forth shipping. )

One alternative would be to purchase a sword from Albion and having it shipped to you for the scabbard and you re-shipping both to the client.

I have NO plans to do this in the immediate future but it does seem like an interesting future option.

Hope the idea proves useful to you and gives potential clients " IDEAS " Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jean,

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

NOW for a few questions for you: Do you have standard patterns for some or all of the Albion swords ? Or would this be an interesting possibility for you to look into?( Should be good for Albion also as I might pospone getting a sword because I would prefer having a scabbard as soon as possible. )

I'd love to be able to do that, but I don't know if it's possible. The thing is that there tends to be variations even between swords that are the same model. For example right now I've got two Del Tin transitional swords in my shop. When the second one showed up I was kicking myself because I was thinking "oh I could have saved that guy the shippng if I'd realized that it was the same sword." But then I hung them on the same rack and noticed something... One of them is about two inches shorter then the other. Want to guess how well the scabbard for the long one would have fit if I'd used just the small one for a mandrel or vice versa? In Albion's case their variation between two swords of the same model might not be that extreme (although if they do ANY hand grinding I expect there to be variation), but who is to say that they won't decide to tweak things at some point in their production run? Maybe a tweak that will make my old pattern not fit anymore? When started this adventure I fully intended to build up a library of sword patterns but after actually seeing the swords and their variation decided it had to pretty much be one sword one scabbard. I could do something like Arms and Armor does with their basic sheaths where it's sort of a one size fits all option I suppose and have an even more basic line. If I was doing this full time I probably would do that in fact (along with about half a dozen other things that I would LOVE to have time to do). However, I'm only working on this a few hours a night after my kids are in bed so I'd rather concentrate on higher end stuff when I can instead of turning out an endless supply of generic one size fits all scabbards.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
One alternative would be to purchase a sword from Albion and having it shipped to you for the scabbard and you re-shipping both to the client.

Wink I've done that for various makers and clients in a good many places in the world.

I really appreciate the suggestions Jean, if you have others I'm always open to ways that I can improve things for my customers or potential customers. I definitely don't have this all figured out! You definitely have me thinking... You see my Dad just retired and he's a wood worker too... My mother can sew... wonder if they might want to make a sort of one size fits all scabbard... hmmmmm

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ;

Had a look at your site and you do some really good work: So far my scabbards have been more a safety / storage issue rather than having a quality scabbard on its' own merits as THE object of collection. ( Or a wearable part of a period costume or armour. )

I guess one could compare it to having a gun case to travel to the range and having a display case, that apart from the utilitarian factor, is a real nice piece of furniture to be proud off in its' own right.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Something a little different
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic