Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New website by Pavel Moc Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: New website by Pavel Moc         Reply with quote

Well, after a long countdown on his old website (the number of "days to explosion" stayed at 1 for about a week), Pavel Moc, Czech sword maker finally opened his new website. Sorry for this shameless commercial, but It's in best intention to show some pretty reproductions.

http://www.swords.cz

Surely you all speak Czech fluently, so no translation is needed. Happy I can only say, this stuff is practically for free compared to what you get. I hope he hasn't increased his prices too much... If I hadn't just ordered two swords from Radek Lobko, I would be very tempted...

New site is quite an improvement from his old one, but many of his sword models are still missing (or he has discontinued them?). Fortunately there are some new sweets:

Viking sword, pattern welded

Viking or Anglo - Saxon sword

Three different katzbalgers, wild hilt detail!

Hand and a half sword with deeply hollowed reenactment blade (edges are 3 or 4 mm thick I think, but it's still very light and agile)

Ballock dagger

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh wow...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't mind the shameless promoting at all. I was wondering when his new site would be up. I can't speak Czech, but the website design is pretty easy to figure out despite that. Some very nice stuff.
"The truth shall make ye fret."
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wild.............................

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish he had an English language version so that we had a little more to go on. My Czeck is a bit... non-existant after all. Anyone want to translate? Happy
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful stuff!
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The language and ordering from Europe ( Never tried that yet. ) aside this stuff looks great and the prices are probably a bargain.

One widget " thingny " on my MAC OS Tiger version does all kinds of unit conversions including money exchange rates but for some reason doesn't include Czeck currency unfortunatly.

So when I look at Czeck prises of 25,000 something I have no clue if it's a bargain or expensive.
( Mostly looking at Lutel so far. )

Anybody know the approximate exchange rate of U.S. ( Canadian for me ) currency versus Czeck currency.

i guess if motivated by really wanting something I would find it. ( Haven't tried yet. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a nice currency converter:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean;

Thank: Will check on those Czeck prices of Lutel later. ( Have to go out and escape my keyboard NOW. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Fri 19 Aug, 2005 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pavel's work has intrigued me for a long time. It's nice to finally see him get a website up.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Whats that?"
"Huh? What.. oh thaaat... its just the spear of destiny... ya, know.... killed jesus and all... why?"

Talk about conversational pieces!

I agree fabulus stuff, but not very easy to navagte.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
... its just the spear of destiny... ya, know.... killed jesus and all....

Interesting attribution. I can't read Czech. Is that what it says? I have heard of the Spear of Destiny before, in the context of a legendary piece, but had not seen any pictorial representations. The spear head in the picture doesn't look, to me, like the weapon of a legionary on crucifixion duty. I would have expected a pilum.
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a replica of the spear head commonly called the spear of destiny, which currently resides in the Hapsburg museum in Vienna. Like most relics, it's provenence is suspect, to say the least. It seems fairly apparent that this is simply a re-assembled Carolingian "winged" spearhead. Nevertheless, it was accepted for centuries as being "the" spear of destiny, and the relic itself has quite a tale to tell.
Here's a couple pics of the original, pulled from google...

-Christopher Liebtag Miller
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wink Well factual or not, my point is it would be a cool converstional piece. Cool
but yea, my Czech is nonexistant, so the site is just pretty pictures to me. Big Grin

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
George Hill

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Alex Oster wrote:
... its just the spear of destiny... ya, know.... killed jesus and all....

Interesting attribution. I can't read Czech. Is that what it says? I have heard of the Spear of Destiny before, in the context of a legendary piece, but had not seen any pictorial representations. The spear head in the picture doesn't look, to me, like the weapon of a legionary on crucifixion duty. I would have expected a pilum.

If you look closely, you'll see a leaf bladed 'celtic-ish' spear as the basis. You see the leaf blade and the lugs at the bottom..

Now 'add somemore blade' into the area between the lugs and the spear head. You now have the basic profile.

SEcond, cut out the center, and pound one of the nails of the cross into the hole.

Now imagine you go and break it. You must fix it, but duct tape won't be invented for a thousand years, so you use gold instead.

And thusly, you have the above spear.

Of course, I have read that the vactican firmly maintains that the real spear of destiny is in one of the pillars of Saint Peter's bastilica.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Blaz Berlec

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: On subject again...         Reply with quote

Very rough translation of Pavel Moc's web page – first page for now. Please understand that my Czech is extremely bad (but I'm excellent at ordering beer), but fortunately I can help myself a bit with my native tongue - Slovene (also Slavic language, and therefore quite similar). Oh, and I’ve used a Czech – English online translator which can translate whole web pages. Unfortunately it’s almost useless and I understand better without it…

http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_...to=English

On the left frame you have links: novinky (news), firma (company), výrobky (products), kontakt (contact)

News:

Introduction

Blacksmithing and swordsmithing firm from Kolín is proudly presenting its new web page, where our products are clearer, better and more modernly represented. We recommend you to pay attention especially to weapons represented in (BEST OF) and new items from our line of forged weapons. We wish our visitors much of aesthetical pleasures.

Pavel Moc (Paul Strength), company director

And description of sword making, copied directly from online translator. It's fun read, I nearly died at the sentence: For example capital them ever more naražena within bullshit sticker extraction fitting out of řapu lamina.

Very thechnical language...

Big Grin

KNOWHOW MAKING Surrender

Lamina surrender through stilly supply are making way splintery machining out of steels avenues 15260 plus zušlechťovány within severity 50 HRc ± 2 HRc. Neskrýváme, that with making unified lamina use industriální knowhow . Máme within view , that sake běžné use them this way out of standpoints safety suitably , for minimalizuje jeopardy thermal as well as mechanical lomů, translated from , or another minus . Sake secular them variance amongst machine work plus kovanou lamina scarcely cognizable , for working lamina them ever more issue exclusive manual whetting . Shield plus capital koveme out of workaday constructional steel .
Our arms are „bezúdržbové“. Singly structure vychází out of storied artwork , where them splicing single segment bleat ověřeno secular empirical adeptness . for example capital them ever more naražena within bullshit sticker extraction fitting out of řapu lamina - nenavařujeme differentiate „závitovky“.
WITH surrender , where them settings stress whereupon supreme historickou staunchness are lamina fitting within warmths out of steels 14260 plus capital to shield through secondhand svářkových steel . You mají svou study wile into wholly neopakovatelnou plus irretrievable structure .
Science technician tausírování, etching , imagery jelly as well as bone , patinování.

JELLY? LOL

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: On subject again...         Reply with quote

Thanks Blaz! Waiting for the next installments.. Happy
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We use Pavel's swords regularly for training and the last two swords we got from him were excellent. As the earlier ones we had were of a different model, we don't know but can only assume that Pavel has moved to making the blades a bit hollow ground. This makes these longswords very light and agile training weapons. And dirt cheap too, the ones we have now cost something like 270 euros!
Blaz Berlec

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry for not "installing" any new translations, but I have been busy and, after all, you better get someone who actually speaks Czech for this work. Razz

Risto, I have seen his new models which are not on his home page (but were listed an a page by a Danish reseller I think). My friend has one, and several others are ordering them. They have very thick edges (around 4 mm I think), but a lot of hollow grinding, so they are light and flexible. The only thing I don't like about them is that the blade vibrates a lot when it's struck on the flat. Bu I guess you get used to it - the first time I parried with it I nearly dropped it, I was so suprised at the reaction of the sword.

There are now several "new" swords on his page - some were already shown on his old page (mostly only as drawings) or you could see them on homepage of Arma Bohemia, which also sells some items made by Pavel Moc.

OK, here are some of the new items:

Beautyful Norman sword

One handed sword, "ITALY ESTOC" model

One and a half handed sword "DÜRRER"

Longswords Viollet and Embleton

I hope he doesn't mind getting all of the extra bandwidth. Eek!

Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blaz, the ones we got didn't have that thick edges, maybe 2mm or so. And they weren't that much hollow ground. The new ones were the model Violet. Swee-eet! BTW thanks for the new pics, we have a lot of those Dürers!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New website by Pavel Moc
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: