"Scotchbrite" for polishing swords...?
This has been discussed previously on the forums, but Scotchbrite works unbelievably well at removing residue from blades. I know this because I just erased some blueing (and glue deposites from scabbard making experiments) that spilled over from a guard to the blade in seconds. It had resisted removal using steel wool for hours. I had not tried Scotchbrite previously, and had no idea how superior this stuff was for polishing a blade. It is not easy to find the fine textured grey "scotchbrite type" nylon pads just anywhere, however.

I used the green colored 3M Scotchbrite sold at hardware stores. The package describes it as "medium fine" equivalent to 0 steel wool. This leaves a visible scratch like finish (not bad, but not as good as an Albion deserves.) I think previous posts advised a finer texture "grey Scotchbrite". As far as I can tell, trademark 3M Scotchbrite is not offered in the ultra fine grey except as rotary wheels. I had to go to a generic "nylon pad, grey" search to find a product described as "similar to Scotchbrite" and "equivalent to 000 steel wool." I found that for sale at USA Hardware online.

If anyone knows the correct brand and designation for grey, ultrafine, "scotchbrite like" pads, please post it!
Try this:

For a quick and easy way to get gray Scotch Brite:

1. Go to Amazon.com, and under stores find Tools and Hardware.
2. In the Tools and Hardware page, find the Search in Tools and Hardware (was upper left corner for me).
3. Type in "Scotch Brite 7448"
4. The search engine should take you right to the product page.

The price is about $18.65 for a box of 20 pads about 6"X9" plus S&H.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Just checked the above and it works just fine, but...the price went up to $19.30; however, the pads are 6"x9" in size and with 20 of them per box, they should last you a good while.
Thanks!

I will follow up with results when I get the generic grey nylon pad sold at USA Hardware online. It is sold for $9 per package.
Re: "Scotchbrite" for polishing swords...?
Jared Smith wrote:
This has been discussed previously on the forums, but Scotchbrite works unbelievably well at removing residue from blades. I know this because I just erased some blueing (and glue deposites from scabbard making experiments) that spilled over from a guard to the blade in seconds. It had resisted removal using steel wool for hours. I had not tried Scotchbrite previously, and had no idea how superior this stuff was for polishing a blade. It is not easy to find the fine textured grey "scotchbrite type" nylon pads just anywhere, however.

I used the green colored 3M Scotchbrite sold at hardware stores. The package describes it as "medium fine" equivalent to 0 steel wool. This leaves a visible scratch like finish (not bad, but not as good as an Albion deserves.) I think previous posts advised a finer texture "grey Scotchbrite". As far as I can tell, trademark 3M Scotchbrite is not offered in the ultra fine grey except as rotary wheels. I had to go to a generic "nylon pad, grey" search to find a product described as "similar to Scotchbrite" and "equivalent to 000 steel wool." I found that for sale at USA Hardware online.

If anyone knows the correct brand and designation for grey, ultrafine, "scotchbrite like" pads, please post it!

Home Depot in the paint section. ;)
Also most autobody supply store's should carry them.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: