Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > People from UK that bought swords from USA I need your help Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:
Yes, you are now an official country !
Bet you sighed a huge sigh of relief knowing that. You can sleep easier at night now !

I know I feel better .... but what is the consensus on our english these days ;-)

Git 'er done , Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Z. Kornilakis

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:
I think what was not entirely clear in the above emails from Mr Kornilakis (don't know your first name, sorry) is the distinction between the tax issue and the licence issue. I'm assuming they're completely separate. IE you can't import at all unless via a licenced route, and even if you do, the tax wil be 82%. So you would have to import via a dealer and via another EU country to get the best of both worlds. At least that's what I assumed.
Daniel

By the way my first name is Zacharias or you can call me Zack. Wink

I began this thread to see how much is the tax for a sword imported in UK.
Because I was told that would be easier to imported there 1st and then send through a friend to Greece so that would avoid the Licence issue.

So, my main problem is not the taxes I have to pay (82% in Greece) as this can be avoided by insure it very low,
but the Licence I have to get to import it.
As I was told from people from the Ministry of Public Order (the place that would issue me the Licence), the licence could get from 2-6 months to be issued and still is not 100% sure that I would get it. Worried

sincerely,
Zack
Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Zack, this is Jean in France,
The first time that I ordered from Albion I was asked by customs to produce an invoice to establish the real value of the item, so a false insurance declaration wouldn't have worked.(not speaking about trouble). I was also asked to produce an "Autorisation for importing war stuff", Happily they were wrong and when I inquired how to get this autorisation the head quarter office of customs told me it was useless for a sword. Pffuuu!
By the way custom duty and VAT for importing in France from USA are around 30%.
Good luck,
Jean
Z. Kornilakis

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, if the tax was just 30% then I would pay it without any second thought.
But here we speak for 82% so I would try any idea to avoid as much as I can.

Unfortunately the law as I said treats the imported swords in the same category with guns, explosives etc. so I am not so lucky to bypass the stage of the Licence. Cry

I think the only way to import it legally is by asking an owner of a shop that imports swords, to help me by import it as his sword and then give it to me. Worried

Thanks all of you for your ideas and for wishing me luck.

sincerely,
Zack
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Z. Kornilakis wrote:

So, my main problem is not the taxes I have to pay (82% in Greece) as this can be avoided by insure it very low,
but the Licence I have to get to import it.
As I was told from people from the Ministry of Public Order (the place that would issue me the Licence), the licence could get from 2-6 months to be issued and still is not 100% sure that I would get it. Worried

sincerely,
Zack

Sadly, I think your government really doesn't want its citizens to have weapons. And they intend to profit from the enthusiasm of those who are willing to persevere in obtaining them at any cost.

Seriously, as an importer/exporter, I advise you to get the thing repackaged as "collectible art" and then convince the authorities that you collect swords for artistic merit as opposed to martial art. Many, many pieces of armour are shipped worldwide as "metal sculpture." Demonstrating an enthusiasm to use the piece for test cutting might be counterproductive. Eek!

Best of luck with this adventure. The Byzantine Empire isn't dead. It survives in every tax system on the planet.

Wink
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

82% Eek! . . . that just isn't right.

[Perhaps branding myself as truly American. . .] If I could get a sword on a plane in this country in stowed luggage (don't know how those things work since recent revision to airline regulations), for the cost of a same day or next day round trip airline ticket (and maybe lunch Wink), I would use a vacation day and a weekend, drive about an hour up the road to New Glarus, pick up your sword, get on a plane, fly to Greece, and personally put it in your hands. . . if nothing else just to say I've been to Greece and to score a defiant victory against a system designed to stop a culture from keeping alive a history THEY themselves created.

Best of luck, Zack, and welcome to myArmoury.
Z. Kornilakis

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:

Sadly, I think your government really doesn't want its citizens to have weapons. And they intend to profit from the enthusiasm of those who are willing to persevere in obtaining them at any cost.

As I said in a previous post you can buy freely swords from shops in Greece. Nobody asks you for any kind of licence.
And these swords are not made in Greece. Every sword is imported from either Europe or USA or the rest of the planet.

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
82% Eek! . . . that just isn't right.
[Perhaps branding myself as truly American. . .] If I could get a sword on a plane in this country in stowed luggage (don't know how those things work since recent revision to airline regulations), for the cost of a same day or next day round trip airline ticket (and maybe lunch Wink), I would use a vacation day and a weekend, drive about an hour up the road to New Glarus, pick up your sword, get on a plane, fly to Greece, and personally put it in your hands. . . if nothing else just to say I've been to Greece and to score a defiant victory against a system designed to stop a culture from keeping alive a history THEY themselves created.
Best of luck, Zack, and welcome to myArmoury.

I am glad that you came with this idea very kind you. But you are lucky Wink Because even if you come from USA to give me the sword hand to hand, still they will take it in customs and they will ask you of a licence. Razz
I heard stories such as this, when people retyrned from other countries to Greece with swords as souvenirs and they left it in customs till they have a licence. Blush

At least all of you that wrote something in this thread, even it was just a comment, you still give me hope. Happy

sincerely,
Zack
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zack, two more ideas:

1) Do it the old American GI way: ship it in a piece at a time and have it assembled locally (or in your case perhaps somewhere credible in Europe - assuming you can cross the border both ways with your own property.)

2) I did some digging around online and the US Embassy in Athens has a division focused on advancing American business interests in Greece. Explain your problem to them and maybe they can do something to help you out. It's a long shot, but it couldn't hurt. . .
Lance K.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To bypass the weapons license just tell customs it's a big letter opener. Who are they to judge one letter opener from another? What if you get big mail? Big Grin

Lance
Z. Kornilakis

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To Jonathon: Your second idea sounds interesting. I don't know if they will want to help me but I will give it a try.

To Lance: Thats the best idea so far. I never thought of that Laughing Out Loud

I spoke with a few customs clearers and still I am waiting for their response. Worried

If this fails then the package must return to USA till a find a safe solution.

sincerely,
Zack
Jean Le-Palud

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Zack, I sent you a PM yesterday
Jean
Z. Kornilakis

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Le-Palud wrote:
Hi Zack, I sent you a PM yesterday
Jean

I haven't receive your PM yet, Jean. Worried
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
To bypass the weapons license just tell customs it's a big letter opener.

I live in Europe too, and the text on my Albion box was "Decorative Art (iron)".
Jean Le-Palud

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Zack, new PM sent just now....
I think it didn't work first time because I forgot quoting a "Subject".
Z. Kornilakis

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I GOT IT!!! Big Grin

Yesterday night I returned from Athens as a winner with the Discerner. Big Grin

After a very long search I found someone that with the right amount of money helped me to obtain the sword.
I am not happy that I had to do that, but I am even less happy with our stupid law. Wink

Unfortunately because the sword had to stay in its box for more than 4 weeks some corrosion marks appeared at the blade. Sad

So I began cleaning them, following Patrick Kelly's article about maintenance, in this site. Cool
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me be the first to say: Kick ass! Cool

With any luck I'll be mirroring your enthusiasm over my own in a few months! Cool

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations!!!!! Big Grin Cool

Discerner is awesome and I hope it is everything you wanted.

And thank you to whomever the person was that helped you. You have done a good deed Happy

It makes my day hearing that this worked out for the best.
Z. Kornilakis

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, I forgot to thank everyone that post in this thread that gave me the hope I was needed. Happy

From now on, I am a proud sword owner like most (if not all) of you. Big Grin
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey! Nothing says thanks better than pictures! Big Grin We won't be satisfied that it worked untill then Razz

Congrats again!

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Jean Le-Palud

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Zack,
I'm so happy it worked fine for you...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > People from UK that bought swords from USA I need your help
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: