Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Intermitant difficulty accessing the site Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Intermitant difficulty accessing the site         Reply with quote

Nathan;

Occasional problems opening the page or accessing the site: Is it too much traffic at times or some other type of glitch ?

Usually if I try again minutes or at worse hours later I get through.

I'm on a MAC 17" powerbook and here is the complete error message I get if this helps:

SAFARI CAN'T OPEN THE PAGE.
Safari could not open the page "http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/" because the server stopped responding.

In any case more a nuisance than anything else: Is this just a problem with the MAC SAFARI browser ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Intermitant difficulty accessing the site         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Occasional problems opening the page or accessing the site: Is it too much traffic at times or some other type of glitch ?

Usually if I try again minutes or at worse hours later I get through.

Our traffic increased 40% in June and is continuing to skyrocket. I need to upgrade the hosting package and move the site to a more robust server. Truthfully, we outgrew a shared hosting situation long ago and really need a box of our own without any other customers on it, but that's completely out of my budgeting ability currently. It will take about 20 hours of work to get it migrated completely. Regardless, I don't have the money to improve the situation right now.

So, the bottom line answer is: as much as it's frustrating to you guys, I can honestly say it's killing me over on this side.

I'm sorry. I wish I had a better answer.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

Thanks: It is a bit annoying but it's good to know it's not a problem on my end.

Oh, my internet services supplier occasionally goes " POOF " i.e. not working for as long as a couple of days at times, so it does happen that the problem is on my end.

I remember spending a whole day trying to get my connection back by re- entering all the XYZ " gobbledegook " you have to fill in at the right places Mad Worried Confused I couldn't reach anyone on the providers' HELP line ! Finally, hours later they had a recorded message telling their customers that they were having " difficulties " Evil Laughing Out Loud

Anyway, just advice to others that when your connection isn't working most of the time it isn't your P.C. it's the network: The best thing to do is NOTHING until you're sure where the problem is.

( Oh, and before Nathan has to say it : No further comments needed on this TOPIC please ! Just wanted to thank Nathan for all the work he puts in and the minor frustrations are just that: MINOR ! Time for me to shut up NOW Laughing Out Loud )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, your questions aren't unwelcome at all, man. It's good to get the info out there. To be honest, I'm often reluctant to put yet another topic up saying "We've had downtown, sorry..." both because it's embarrassing and also it really can sound a whole lot like whining from this end.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gordon Clark

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jean, your questions aren't unwelcome at all, man. It's good to get the info out there. To be honest, I'm often reluctant to put yet another topic up saying "We've had downtown, sorry..." both because it's embarrassing and also it really can sound a whole lot like whining from this end.

Some sites have a log of downtime - sometimes with comment, that can be viewed if people are curious. Not sure it is worth adding a feature for that, but it might be easier to do that than post topics.

I'm sure you have thought long about this, but if you - or we, I guess Happy - continue to grow at that kind of rate, I'm curious to know what possibilities you have considered for expansion. I enjoy hearing that the site is used so much by members of the industry, and I love that it is open for everyone to use, but eventually it just seems unsupportable under the current "honor" system type funding options. Just would be interested to know what you have up your sleeve...

Gordon

Actually people in the industry are probably in the minority in terms of who is accessing this site. Remember, this is not a forum based website, it's a website with a forum. This site is linked to by a huge number of school and academic entities that never participate in the forums. Those of us here on the forums are actually a minority.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
To be honest, I'm often reluctant... ... both because it's embarrassing and also it really can sound a whole lot like whining from this end.

I don't take it that way at all, Nathan. The reality of the situation is that there are issues that are out of your control due to hardware, hosting options, finances, and your own time. I post, I read, and I suck up my share of bandwidth. We all do. What a lot of folks don't realize (because it's behind the scenes) is the amount of effort that already goes into running this place by the moderators, and you in particular.

Is it frustrating when I can't get on and do whatever I want to on the site without interruption? Yeah. It is for all of us. I've tried to support the site through monetary contributions (straight donation, upgraded membership, purchasing books and other items through the links) to try to support the efforts - but my contribution alone won't do it. I'm sure the exclusive hosting option would be significantly more costly. It's both impossible and unfair to expect someone to shoulder that. I'll probably be upgrading my membership to Premier next time around - I use this site that much, and the $45 won't be hard to come up with - it's a Coke a week less... no biggie.

Here's a suggestion to those of us who are settled, regular, and in for the long haul - it's a small contribution to make to upgrade your membership for a year. We can't give Nathan his time, but we can support the site's significant expense.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Some sites have a log of downtime - sometimes with comment, that can be viewed if people are curious. Not sure it is worth adding a feature for that, but it might be easier to do that than post topics.

I'm sure you have thought long about this, but if you - or we, I guess Happy - continue to grow at that kind of rate, I'm curious to know what possibilities you have considered for expansion. I enjoy hearing that the site is used so much by members of the industry, and I love that it is open for everyone to use, but eventually it just seems unsupportable under the current "honor" system type funding options. Just would be interested to know what you have up your sleeve...

Gordon

Actually people in the industry are probably in the minority in terms of who is accessing this site. Remember, this is not a forum based website, it's a website with a forum. This site is linked to by a huge number of school and academic entities that never participate in the forums. Those of us here on the forums are actually a minority.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I was talking with my hosting provider today and as it turns out, the box the server is hosted on just blew out a hard drive. That's one of the reasons things are so slow this evening.

Tomorrow evening, the entire machine will be replaced with a brand-new dual Xeon with 2 GB of RAM. We're still on a shared hosting environment, which means we're not the only site on the box. But this new box is a big improvement over the old one and should give a slight increase in performance, and hopefully a noticible increase in reliability.

Because of the machine switch, there will be some down-time tomorrow. I don't know when it will happen, but it will likely take 1-2 hours.

Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Oh - I know that - but I do think it is nice that the site gets so much industry notice (as you guys reported from the Blade Show). I view education as certainly the main mission of this site, and the linking by schools is also very cool. I'm sure that most of the growth is casual observers, and some of those will turn into contributing members. I don't have enough faith in human nature to think this will solve the growth induced technology problems though.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The migration won't happen tonight. It's being postponed.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Intermitant difficulty accessing the site
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic