Go to page Previous  1, 2

Again, there is confusion over terms.
There are two kinds of padded garments;
A padded garment worn under plate or mail, often reffered to as an Arming Coat
and the independent cloth armour; Acceton, Jack, gambeson... I don't speak medevial french, so I really can't tell what is more correct. Its called Panzar in medevial norwegian...

A picture of cloth armour, in the macieowski bible, ca 1250 (http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/maciejowski_images_27.htm):
[ Linked Image ]

A regular man-at-arms would be more likely to wear cloth armour than mail, mainly for reasons of cost. Mail is however predominant in the illustrations, because it's cooler. :cool:
Both will do, of course. But you should in any case have a arming coat under the mail...
So here's an oddball question.

All this wool, how do you keep from scratching yourself to death?
Elling Polden wrote:
Again, there is confusion over terms.
There are two kinds of padded garments;
A padded garment worn under plate or mail, often reffered to as an Arming Coat
and the independent cloth armour; Acceton, Jack, gambeson... I don't speak medevial french, so I really can't tell what is more correct. Its called Panzar in medevial norwegian...

A picture of cloth armour, in the macieowski bible, ca 1250 (http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/maciejowski_images_27.htm):

A regular man-at-arms would be more likely to wear cloth armour than mail, mainly for reasons of cost. Mail is however predominant in the illustrations, because it's cooler. :cool:
Both will do, of course. But you should in any case have a arming coat under the mail...

Thanks Elling, that cleared up a lot. :)
Joe Fults wrote:

Linen under, wool over, so it is not too bad. If you are allergic to wool, however - it might be pretty scratchy.
Gordon Clark wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

Linen under, wool over, so it is not too bad. If you are allergic to wool, however - it might be pretty scratchy.

Not too bad? :surprised: :wtf:

:cool: :cool:
Or, you just make sure to have finely woven wool. The wool you use for for instance hose is comparable to the one used to make suits. Rough linenen actually itches more, so be careful to get a reasonably soft fabric...
Personally, I never had problems with itching. But it can get a bit hot after a while. ;)
Joe Fults wrote:
Gordon Clark wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

Well, I can wear wool dress pants without any discomfort - some people can't. If they can't do that, I would not recommend living in wool for a weekend. Also quite temperature dependant - if it is over 70 degrees, I get a lot more itchy...
I do 15th C. and have worn woolen hosen in all kinds of weather hot and cold without discomfort. When I first started this game I thought wool would be terrible, especially since I don't od heat very well. Properly constructed period clothing is no worse in hot weather than modern clothes. Elling is right, it has to be a finely woven wool if it is going to be worn next to the skin with any degree of comfort. Be sure you pre shrink it if you are going to try and do it yourself. Google medieval hose and search through the sites. There is plenty there that will help you.
Joe Fults wrote:

Believe it or not, good wool's really not all that scratchy. Some wools are very soft and pleasant--others aren't so much so. Sure, Army wool blankets are scratch fests, but one can get used to even that.

And after having worn linen and wool, I never want to wear cotton again, and I never will wear polyester or nylon anything again. Synthetic fibres are less than worthless: they're actively bad.
Bob Uhl wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

Believe it or not, good wool's really not all that scratchy. Some wools are very soft and pleasant--others aren't so much so. Sure, Army wool blankets are scratch fests, but one can get used to even that.

And after having worn linen and wool, I never want to wear cotton again, and I never will wear polyester or nylon anything again. Synthetic fibres are less than worthless: they're actively bad.

So the trick is to get the right wool.

Fine weave then.
Joe Fults wrote:
So the trick is to get the right wool.

Yup.

Quote:
Fine weave then.

I don't think that it's the weave so much as the thread used in the weaving. But a very fine weave will probablt use good, soft threads.
Joe Fults wrote:
Gordon Clark wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

if your wool is super scratchy it isnt 100%. that is the KEY! 100% wool isnt as nasty as people think. i thought the same thing when i started in 15thc. ug wool hosen i'm gona be raw. but i was not and it was cooler than shorts would be.
Chuck Russell wrote:

if your wool is super scratchy it isnt 100%. that is the KEY! 100% wool isnt as nasty as people think. i thought the same thing when i started in 15thc. ug wool hosen i'm gona be raw. but i was not and it was cooler than shorts would be.

My own experience is that any wool is very good to wear next to the skin if the temperature is low... but as it gets higher, the greater the need for finer weaves of wool. But I've certainly worn LOTS of woolen trousers in hot weather with no real discomfort, and in fact wool is MUCH better at wicking away the sweat from your legs than cotton jeans are! Yuck!

I have to agree on synthetic fibres being a tool of the devil though... that stuff is indeed BAD for you, especially in hot weather! Give me heavy woolens in the heat over synthetics, at least those woolens will absorb sweat and turn your clothes into a swamp cooler, LOL! Hot , but at least your skin is still breathing.

Cheers,

Gordon
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: