Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ren. Fest. clothes Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. R. Reynolds wrote:
Edward,

Just my opinion but I believe that Renfaires are more for entertainment while Living History is researched and as authentic as possible. For instance, if our group can't document at least three period sources for an item, we don't use it. Anything we make is as close to period in material as we can make it. Part of the fun of this is what is referred to as "experimental archeology", where we strive to recreate and use the everyday items of the era to see how they work. We leave the 'one of a kind' stuff alone, hence the three source rule. Go for the common rather than the uncommon.

Yeah.

Renfair is "Disney", LH tries for "Smithsonian". You may see something historically accurate at Disneyland, but likely as not, it'll be Goofy who's holding it. Wink

Both are still fun, but the goals are different.

PS - Bill, the suit's looking good.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Johnson wrote:
Renfair is "Disney", LH tries for "Smithsonian". You may see something historically accurate at Disneyland, but likely as not, it'll be Goofy who's holding it. Wink

Laughing Out Loud Jeff, that had me laughing for a while. Thanks.

I had the opportunity on a couple of occasions to do Viking LH for/at the Smithsonian. Talk about a way-cool time. I had a friend who worked in the Natural History museum as a graphic artist. He designed some displays, but primarily worked the vaults documenting pieces most of us never get to see (a VERY SMALL percentage of what the Smithsonian has is on display at any given time). I spent a lot of time researching and learning inside those vaults.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Johnson wrote:
PS - Bill, the suit's looking good.

Thanks Jeff. From what I can see in your Avatar and the pics you've posted of events at Firestryker yous isn't looking too bad either.

Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, here's me at the medieval 'market' last weekend at the fortress of Bohus in Sweden, rather windy so in some places you let go of your headgear and sleeves at your peril...

Attachment: 102.45 KB
90bd5d5a.jpg

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
Well, here's me at the medieval 'market' last weekend at the fortress of Bohus in Sweden, rather windy so in some places you let go of your headgear and sleeves at your peril...

Very dashing, Daniel. Cool I'm sure the maidens were all atwitter. Big Grin
John McFarlin

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is an old thread, but a goody. Hope nobody minds if I breathe some life into it, because it's a worthwhile discussion.

I'm going through old threads sifting for folks who are interested in putting together faithful portrayals of civilian, clerical, or military dress and camp and coming to a private event in the western US in May to June 2007. I had sent a private message to Bill Reynolds, who pointed me here because of his picture, and I agree with a lot of the sentiments written in this thread. I have some strong opinions on the matter, which I'll explain by way of a story.

How did I get started "in this whole thing?" And by "this whole thing" I mean a pastime where I study history for the purpose of creating a portrayal so I can interpret history or conduct what really when you get down to it is CosPlay of a very refined nature, answering my inner call for play and a desire to transmit correct information.

It was D&D in 1982. And then, the Colorado Renaissance Faire in Larkspur and IFGS Live Action games in the mid to late eighties, romping about through the forests of Colorado west of Boulder, having fun. Now, in those days, I wasn't about accuracy. I was about costume. It was about putting hands on materials and making something, collecting up knives and swords, then displaying it publicly and having a good time. It was about trying to get into the girls' pants. I wish I had photographs of some of these kits that I and my friends bashed together, but I don't anymore. Lost them through the years. I am sure they are moldering in a hundred shoeboxes and landfills scattered from Durango to Loveland, Colorado, though.

In the early nineties I began to become interested in armor. Over a decade, from 1991 to 1999, this interest expressed itself solely through the SCA. Now, where was the onus for accuracy there? I could do whatever I wanted to do, pretty much, and nobody was going to say "Boo," but because I was interested in metal armor, which actually looked like armor, I slowly built a kit of steel harness of plate and mail. Really more by accident than anything else, by late 1999 I had a (rough, very rough, friends) analog of a mid 14th century transitional harness, which I displayed as part of the group "Brotherhood of the Gauntlet" at the Age of Chivalry Renaissance Faire in Las Vegas, Nevada. Now, through all of this, my activities were about having fun, and if Clark County Parks and Rec made a dollar, no skin off my teeth--we got to put up our tents and wear armor around, drink, and play games late into the night with our fellow faire folk--heck, I met my wife at the faire, so I consider the initial purpose of putting together a kit accomplished! It was also there that I saw W.R. Reynolds and Jeff Hedgecock and their display "The Red Company." The quality of their display and the era portrayed was something I had never seen before, and it had a profound effect on my thoughts on accuracy in display.

It was at that time that I understood a higher calling inherent in this pastime. To that date, any accuracy in my portrayal was accidental, a product of a loose sense of aesthetic imparted to me by old D&D books, movies, and so forth. it was better than some, but not anything that I would consider useful now. I understood that we could have fun and look right. This was important, because it put the pastime of collecting arms and armor, and putting up camps and displays in the context of something meaningful. I remembered what had driven me in the first place to this strange vocation: the glorious violence and shiny harness of the John Boorman film Excalibur. I had become increasingly aware that little children were looking at what I was wearing the same way I was looking at the harness in that film, and I felt pointedly aware of the deficiency of my kit. Convicted, really. "Is that a real sword, mister?" Indeed, was the United Cutlery wallhanger on my hip a real sword? No. It was not. Nor was anything else I was wearing. Busted.

So, over the next couple of years I worked on building a more accurate harness, starting with the sword. I got an Arms and Armor Henry V in 2003 and when I pulled it from the box at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas (I was at the Combined Arms Staff school--did my decision matrix paper on Purchase of a suitable sword for living history), I whistled and said "Man, where have you been all my life?" as my wife smiled and looked on (she had brought it to me). From there the progress was steady, an Anshelm Arms klappvisor bascinet, spaulders then arms harness then leg harness from Jeff Hedgecock. Sadly, The Red Company ran into differences with Clark County Parks and Recreation and stopped coming to the Age of Chivalry Renaissance Faire--but the seed had been planted: The Red Company had spread its thought virus to me, and to my friends in The Brotherhood of the Gauntlet. The desire to pursue a more refined calling, that of faithful portrayal while having fun, eventually caused an (amicable now but stressful at the time) split in that group's membership and we formed a new group called Compagniye du Chalis, which is dedicated to high fidelity portrayal of the retinue of a (unportrayed) minor historical figure, Sir John Strother.

So, where am I going with all this? Here: Yes, I do feel strongly about accuracy of portrayal. I feel that people who are in a position where, by their display of what they purport to be historical costume or clothing they transmit some information to the public, should look deeply into the matter. They should adopt an attitude that they're going to do it right. My youthful screwups and inaccuracies are done and over with, and to some extent they can be excused, because the flow and spread of information that we take for granted now was NOT a fact of life through the eighties and most of the nineties--hell, lots of us were bootstrapping from almost complete ignorance. Nowadays, anyone who shows up as a worker or interpreter at a Ren Faire or a Medieval Faire and botches it does so willfully. And that just ain't right, because it's planting weeds in childrens' minds where oaks ought to be planted.

That is why the organization I am in is putting together a private event where people who are interested in portraying faithful examples of military and civilian dress and activity in the era from 1300 to 1500 can come together, compare notes, and have a good time. And from this private retreat where iron sharpens iron, we can go out and execute more accurate portrayals.

John

Compagniye du Chalis: 1370-1420
www.mron.org
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All of you look really great! I had hoped I would have something together for this coming summer of 2006 but that is looking bleak. I just have not been able to decide on anything and so I guess I will have to hope for 2007.

Bob
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
All of you look really great! I had hoped I would have something together for this coming summer of 2006 but that is looking bleak. I just have not been able to decide on anything and so I guess I will have to hope for 2007.

Bob

My problem is I know exactly what I want to do, but haven't got the coin to put together a Landesknecht costume, arms & harness. Sad

"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John,

Thank you for the kind words. One of the many reasons Red Company existed (aside from our own penchant for fun research) was to educate the public and do some myth busting. I remember the Brotherhood ( you were encamped across the street from us) and accepting an invitation for a beer or two while I was on horse watch. I am flattered and more than a little humbled that our "display" had such a profound influence on you and your friends. Welcome to LH, it can at times be immensely gratifying.

"...........that just ain't right, because it's planting weeds in childrens' minds where oaks ought to be planted. "
John McFarlin

Well said.

Bill

Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn Mulock wrote:

My problem is I know exactly what I want to do, but haven't got the coin to put together a Landesknecht costume, arms & harness. Sad

I've got you beat for problems. Wink

First and foremost, I'm in Florida. The local faire runs from the last weekend in February to the 2nd weekend in April. Now, I'm a big guy (about 35 pounds too big), and I'm unlucky enough to have a minor medical condition (hyperhydrosis) that makes me sweat like a pig.

Taking both of those and Florida's heat and humidity from mid-March onward into account, that leaves me only the first half of the Ren Fest if I want to go in garb and harness. If I'm busy with schoolwork or "extracurricular activities" those weekends, I'm not going to be able to kit myself out. I'd much rather do that than wear the white T-shirt and basketball shorts I chose for this year. I still sweated amazingly and nearly got heatstroke, by the way.

Second problem: Money. I'm a college student. My dad is well off, but I don't like mooching off of him, and I wouldn't expect him to give me the money for garb + armor (local faire doesn't allow weapons) in any case. He also doesn't let me hold a job during the school year. All of which means I'm pretty much broke.
Third problem: Period. I have a broad-spectrum interest in arms and armor, but my preference for harness would be gambeson, mail byrnie, and bascinet or viking/nasal helm, depending what I wanted to portray (Scandinavian raider or transitional-period man-at-arms). Neither of those is exactly "Renaissance." Wink

Fourth: The college I attend, is, shall we say, not a bastion of fellow geeks like myself. Fellow geeks would be willing to refrain from mocking me if they saw me walking to/from my car (assuming I have a car by next year) in armor. I have a short temper. It wouldn't be a good combination.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Jonathan Blair

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Goff wrote:
I've got you beat for problems. Wink

First and foremost, I'm in Florida. The local faire runs from the last weekend in February to the 2nd weekend in April. Now, I'm a big guy (about 35 pounds too big), and I'm unlucky enough to have a minor medical condition (hyperhydrosis) that makes me sweat like a pig.
Taking both of those and Florida's heat and humidity from mid-March onward into account, that leaves me only the first half of the Ren Fest if I want to go in garb and harness. If I'm busy with schoolwork or "extracurricular activities" those weekends, I'm not going to be able to kit myself out. I'd much rather do that than wear the white T-shirt and basketball shorts I chose for this year. I still sweated amazingly and nearly got heatstroke, by the way.

Do you live in Florida all year as a student or do you go home to another state during the summer? If you live outside the state during the summer, you could try one of the local faires for that state.
There's also other faires in Florida. Sarasota, FL runs their Medieval Faire in November (see http://www.sarasotamedievalfair.com/ for details) and they allow medieval weapons. There's also the Hoggetown Medieval Faire in Gainesville (http://www.gvlculturalaffairs.org/website/pro...index.html) which is in January and they also allow weapons. You can find these and more at http://www.renaissancefestival.com/rendir.asp.

Quote:
Second problem: Money. I'm a college student. My dad is well off, but I don't like mooching off of him, and I wouldn't expect him to give me the money for garb + armor (local faire doesn't allow weapons) in any case. He also doesn't let me hold a job during the school year. All of which means I'm pretty much broke.

See if you can do odd jobs around campus or the surrounding areas for the weekend. Perhaps you have a skill that other students could use (tutoring or what not) that you can get a few dollars from. Then, find out if anyone knows how to sew (or learn yourself) and buy fabric from the nearest fabric store and go to town. There are plenty of sites on the internet that give basic tunic patterns that you could use.

Quote:
Third problem: Period. I have a broad-spectrum interest in arms and armor, but my preference for harness would be gambeson, mail byrnie, and bascinet or viking/nasal helm, depending what I wanted to portray (Scandinavian raider or transitional-period man-at-arms). Neither of those is exactly "Renaissance." Wink

Again, check that website. There's more than just the local faire. You can also make your own maille using galvanized fence wire from the hardware store, a threaded rod, two pair of pliers, a pair of snips, and a lot of patience. Check out http://www.arador.com/construction/index.html and search around for the maille index.

Quote:
Fourth: The college I attend, is, shall we say, not a bastion of fellow geeks like myself. Fellow geeks would be willing to refrain from mocking me if they saw me walking to/from my car (assuming I have a car by next year) in armor. I have a short temper. It wouldn't be a good combination.

Hey, I can't help you there. I get ribbed for stuff sometimes, but most people are just curious and would be understanding at least once you explained what you were up to, if not enthusiastic about joining you. There might even be some closet geeks that are just waiting for a bold adventurous type to help them overcome their own fear of revealing their geekiness.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
John McFarlin

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill, you're very welcome, and in thirteen months we can have a beer together and you can tell me about how you got started in it.

All the people who don't have the coin for the armor, go for the soft kit, the clothes, the shoes, the belt, the eating knife. The rest will come in time--chances are, if you're a good person, and a good friend, it might even get handed down to you.

The concept of erupting fully formed from the head of Aphrodite is killing this pastime. Young men too proud to "make their bones" refuse to sign on as recruits, and be a civilian for a while. Believe me, it took years for me to get to this point.

http://www.mron.org/html/faire05_9.html

Many years. But there was a lot of fun along the way.

John

www.mron.org
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John McFarlin wrote:
And that just ain't right, because it's planting weeds in childrens' minds where oaks ought to be planted.

John

www.mron.org

Wow! Well put. Cool

I'm stealing that. Wink

Cheers!
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:

Bob

Let me know if you want to give us a shot some time Bob, we've got enough loaner gear to hook you up for a weekend at least. We're not everyone's cup of tea, but we have a hell of a good time together. Happy

Chris

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Drake Abram

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Myers,

Where can I get some shoes like that?
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shoes like what? Lots of room to wiggle here, are you looking for a specific period or style?
Bill

Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Blair, you took my bitching a little too seriously. I appreciate the advice (and by the way, I have a maille shirt I'm working on using pre-made links), but I tend to bitch as a habit. It's a way of working out my annoyance so it doesn't fester.

Next time, unless I specifically ask for help, don't spend your valuable time on me, okay? Wink

P.S. You are sorely mistaken about the amount of "closet geeks" and "understanding people" there might be at my college. Happy

Although I may try to hit the Gainesville Faire junior year, when I have an off-campus place to keep my Daneaxe.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Drake Abram

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. R. Reynolds wrote:
Shoes like what? Lots of room to wiggle here, are you looking for a specific period or style?

Like the ones Eric Myers is wearing, whom I directed the question to.

Wink

But feel free to answer the question WR!

Big Grin
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Apr, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for thinking of me, I am very much looking forward to formally meeting you, last weekend of last year we were in the Arms & Armor booth at the same time but did not know one another, so it will be nice to meet you formally. Gayle and I will be there on the opening Saturday, I just love the Renaissance Faire, I believe we are buying season's passes this year.
Thank you once again Chris!

Bob
Folkert van Wijk

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Showing of...         Reply with quote

I thought it would be nice to "dress up" this topic again.
And show off some of my kit and clothes, mostly work I did last winter time...
The place is no Ren. Fair, but the "Archeon" a Park dedicated to history in the Netherlands...

Attachment: 123.35 KB
me600pix.jpg

Attachment: 60.46 KB
mestanding01.jpg

Attachment: 108.07 KB
meforhutt.jpg

Attachment: 114.24 KB
mecharging01.jpg

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ren. Fest. clothes
Page 3 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic