Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ren. Fest. clothes Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ruel wrote:
People want to have it both ways, and they don't have the right to.

They have a perfect right to do so. We do live in a free society and everyone has the right to be ignorant unfortunately. Once again, we're not talking about a holy crusade so let's keep things in the proper perspective.

My stance echos Nathans. Portray whatever you want but be honest and upfront about it. I've always tried to be as historically accurate as I could in whatever era I'm trying to portray, while working within my means and with my knowledge at the time. Yet when asked about the fine details I've always been more than willing to point out the descrepancies and compromises I had to make. Showing someone something that's wrong can be just as educational as showing them something that's right, as long as you're honest about it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually I have never been to a Ren Fair or anything like it as my collecting focus has always been more on the weapons themselves and history in general.
I might in the future since I started acquiring armour since I started surfing the net and became part of this site and forum: Before it was more a " private vice " and not, at least in part, a social activity. Unfortunately my best friends who share this interest are those I made friends here: So they tend to live thousands of miles away. I haven't looked into the local groups yet !

There are a lot of local activities if I wanted to join something, including at least a couple of Medieval martial arts groups.
( Even a Medieval themed restaurant within walking distance ..... LOL. )

This disclaimer aside: I agree with Patrick that all these activities don't have to be strictly historical. Living history groups have different standards and should be as accurate as it is possible to be.

Renaissance fairs are just for fun, like a big costume party were you can have Pirates, Knights, Vikings and maybe the occasional Vampire who took a wrong turn somewhere and thinks he /she is at a " Buffy the Vampire Slayer convention ". Razz Eek! Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed a "Renaissance Fantasy Faire" (they actually have one by that title here in Washington) is actually far more descriptive than "Renaissance Faire", but unfortunately the later term has become so generic that it's like "Kleenex", meaning any sort of snot-rag. Believe me I could rant on for a LONG time on that subject! However, that being said:

There actually ARE some groups working through the medium of Renaissance Faires to not only portray a reasonable facsimile of people dealing with a fun fair in the era of Elizabeth, but also do a decent job of purveying it to the general public as well. Many folks work quite hard and getting the details of the clothing (as opposed to "costume") down, along with other aspects of the material culture (for example, it would be VERY difficult to find fault with the clothing or arms that Nathan is wearing in the above photo. It's there, but I know where to look...) So there ARE some good aspects, and I really think that even the most ignorant of the public can look at someone in a cotton muffin cap and other items of "Faire Uniform" and compare it with something that is dead on accurate, and be able to say "Wow, that one in all those clothes is LOTS better than the ugly one over there". Maybe I give too much credit to the General Public, but I do think they can tell the difference between historically accurate and fantasy.

Unfortunately there will always be the folks in fairy wings, maille bikinis, Star Trek uniforms, etc. showing up as the paying customers, but unless one is doing a private event, it's hard to swing without putting up with it. Thus my preference for non-public events! Just like the old Rendezvous of my youth in the Rockies... far from the madding crowd! Big Grin

Cheers!

Gordon

Attachment: 32.99 KB
Neb,Gordon&Gordon.jpg

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Here´s me (on the left) with good friend Johan (yes, he is huge) at an event at Haute Koeningsburg with Companie of Saynte George a few years ago.
...and even today my armour is still not complete Blush
Great fun though!

Peter I now recognize you in that kit. Surprised You're on page 81 of "Medieval Military Costume" by Gerry Embleton. Great stuff! I love the book and covet your armour. Big Grin

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can see both sides of the authenticity fence, and actually willingly jump from side to side.

Nearly every Ren Faire/Fest I have ever been associated with has had an abundance of ahistorical stuff, with a touch of authentic tossed in. I'll often go in something less than historical, and do so strictly to have fun. When I do, I am very upfront about that fact when people do ask about the history or authenticity, and will offer solid educational info to those interested. When I do go in authentic historical garb, I also expect to be hounded and bombarded, as the general population does notice a little something special about it. In fact, I am trying hard to pull together a complete and best-as-I-can authentic Templar for the Texas Ren Fest this year. It's a ton of work, a ton of resources and research, and not exactly free (and I'm doing almost all of the work myself). It is, however, totally out of period for the fest, and may be as ghastly as my fairly fantastic Cavalier pictured earlier simply by being out of place by a few hundred years. As has been voiced here in this thread, I, too, am somewhat bothered by the in-your-face "yeah, this is authentic - see the "Stainless - Made in India" maker's mark?" and the constant edge-on-edge banging disservice of many of the merchants and the Marlboro-smoking, McDonald's-eating "King" influencing the concepts of the general populous. It would be nice if those who's intent is to be authentic and educational would do so, and others would steer clear of trying to portray the historical with the fantastic - but it won't happen. Most people really don't care anyway.

Conversely, living history events I have seen or participated in (with Military Through the Ages in Jamestown, VA being a prime example) have been highly historical and educational. At these events, I make as solid an attempt as possible to be as dead-on as I can be. That is, afterall, the point. These types of events, whether it be as large and as broad as MTA or as small and cosy and focused as Patrick's library presentation are awesome. For those of us who are interested in such things, attending or, better yet, participating in these is really the way to go.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Eric Nower

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,

The Sterling Ren. Festival is set in a circa 1585 time period, so I'm way out of place, But circa 1300-1400 is where my interest lies. I'm out of place and don't care, it's good fun to go and walk around. Some people there are dressed historically to the time and some aren't, but if me going, dressed as best I can manage to my time period, inspires someone to ask what I'm dressed as or open a book to find out, then it's all worth it to me. I agree some parts of Ren faires are annoying(ie. the "real joust" ummm.... no not really, no wwf moves allowed in a tourney WTF?! ) but you have to take it with a grain of salt and chalk it up to lack of an informed populace. It's still mildly ammusing on some small level Wink . Just my view on things.....Knowing/ doing and being able to afford it are two very different things. Happy

May God have mercy on my enemies, for I shall have none.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I try to remember faires are all about fun for the masses not authenticity.

For a time I went to quite a few of them, because they were different. However, it did not take long for them to become very redundant and go much less often. I'd love to make it to some living histroy events with a pre-1600 focus, but they seem to be rather thin on the ground in the Midwest.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Thu 14 Jul, 2005 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Nower wrote:
Some people there are dressed historically to the time and some aren't, but if me going, dressed as best I can manage to my time period, inspires someone to ask what I'm dressed as or open a book to find out, then it's all worth it to me.

This is a good platform to work from, Eric! Something somewhere inspired each of us... It does take some effort to do this, and I commend you for it!

Eric Nower wrote:
Knowing/ doing and being able to afford it are two very different things. Happy

Isn't that the truth. It would take a year's pay at least to be able to portray all the periods I would like to to the level of detail and accuracy I would want... and that just covers the financial side. Add in all the time, research, etc. and we're really tallying up a hefty sum.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You guys have some great costumes! As soon as these ugly gray clouds disappear I'll post of picture of me in my Musketeer costume. I'm really not picky on costumes. I echo everyone else in saying that Renfaires are just for fun, though it drives me nuts whenever I go to the Ohio festival and see someone in period boots, pants, belt/pouches, tunic, doublet, sword -- and topping it all off with sunglasses and a Cincinnati Reds ballcap! WTF?!

The only two faires I go to on a regular basis are the Ohio Renn Festival (only a 30-minute drive from my house) and the Bristol Renn Faire in Wisconsin (Arms&Armor has a booth at Bristol). I hope to make it to the Michigan Renn Festival this year; haven't been to that one since '01. Two faires I've never been to but am dying to see are Texas and Minnesota. If you come to the Ohio faire, don't be surprised to see a Klingon or two or an entire platoon of Stormtroopers.

My love of anything Celtic/Medieval/Renaissance all began at the Ohio faire; I imagine visiting a Renaissance festival for the first time got most of us in this Question . Every saga has a beginning, right? Wink
-Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't do Ren but do LH. This was taken at Ft Mac recently. Hopefully will be upgrading saddle to a Henry V type soon and will make maille sabatons from the excess I am going to trim out of the skirt. Have to re- work Italian mitten gaunt's to semi finger style to make reining a little easier, hence they are not in the pic.

Attachment: 117.97 KB
mounted 2.JPG

Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."
Edward Hitchens

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="W. R. Reynolds"]Don't do Ren but do LH.

Um, sorry, but what's "LH" Question

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Um, sorry, but what's "LH" Question

Living History.

For example - Military Through the Ages (aka MTA) is a yearly event at Jamestown, VA. Reenactment groups of just about any period of history from Picts through Vietnam were represented (at the last one I participated in some 15 years ago). Each had an encampment representative of the period - foods, crafts, clothing, etc. Each also gave a combat simulation / demonstration for the public. We were in the Viking camp. A friend and I wandered through the grounds in character. We ran into a WWI soldier, and made him explain, in character, to us, in character, what his rifle was. It was a riot. Drew a big crowd, put him on the spot...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Edward Hitchens

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's funny, Aaron! Laughing Out Loud If the WWI soldier had to describe a tank or an airplane, I wonder how he'd do it!

I guess it would be safe to say that Living History and Renfaires go hand-in-hand. If you're dressing and acting the part then that could qualify as 'LH' I suppose - even if you're doing so completely for fun and not reenacting a particular event.

W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward,

Just my opinion but I believe that Renfaires are more for entertainment while Living History is researched and as authentic as possible. For instance, if our group can't document at least three period sources for an item, we don't use it. Anything we make is as close to period in material as we can make it. Part of the fun of this is what is referred to as "experimental archeology", where we strive to recreate and use the everyday items of the era to see how they work. We leave the 'one of a kind' stuff alone, hence the three source rule. Go for the common rather than the uncommon.

Bill

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
That's funny, Aaron! Laughing Out Loud If the WWI soldier had to describe a tank or an airplane, I wonder how he'd do it!

Brother, you have no idea. Picture this... it's like 35 degrees outside - friggin' freezing. Here I come, 2 tunics, pants, boots, maille hauberk, cloak, nasal helm, sword, bearded axe, and a spear. I'm 6'2". Behind me, is my friend (6'5" and built like a tank - made me feel like Scrappy Doo, and I'm a pretty big guy), similarly attired, armed with a spear, 2 axes, sword, and seax. The guy gets stopped dead in his tracks at spearpoints (and has no clue what the heck just happened, or is about to). He gets questioned about which village he comes from. He gets questioned about countries and towns we haven't heard of. He gets severely harrassed about his OD uniform. He gets asked about his rifle, slung over his shoulder, which he presents... then it happens. My buddy (actually carefully) tosses his spear to me, and snatches the rifle out of his hands, and asks him forcefully what it is. Best he can do is liken it to a bow... at which time my buddy turns it around, and starts pulling on the shoulderstrap. Convinced it's broken, he (again, carefully) jams it towards the guys chest. He caught on after that, and we had a neat conversation. We traded a couple of things for show, and went about our separate ways. We raided his camp later, and stole all their beer. They came back to ours, and we ate and drank together (after the gates closed for the day) and had a serious blast.

Living history events are WAY above and beyond the typical Faire... the level of detail is insane sometimes. I've seen kits that look like they came straight through a time machine.

Oh, by the way, when the Vietnam era Huey flew over, we all threw our spears at it, and got histerical at the sighting of the Dragon of the North Sea... and my buddy tackled me to keep me from getting swallowed up by it. Only about 600 lbs of people and arms and armour in a big heap in the walkway...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to make it to MTA sometime. Have to go as a 15th c. ground pounder though. Too far to transport the horse.
Bill

Eric Myers

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should probably draq up a photo of my first faire year for comparison, but I think I won't Razz

These days I am generally a militia musketeer in either an Elizabethan period, or English Civil War. I'm the one on the left in the first two pictures. The last picture just had to be taken, so I might as well share it Big Grin

Like several others here, I apparently need to get some better pictures! Most of my pics are of the whole troop, not of individuals.

Attachment: 39.11 KB
tillermikemusket.jpg

Attachment: 20.21 KB
valhalla2002_eric_and_thorne_s.jpg

Attachment: 17.79 KB
ModernRennaissanceMan_s.jpg

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Edward Hitchens

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
I'd love to make it to some living histroy events with a pre-1600 focus, but they seem to be rather thin on the ground in the Midwest.

I'll have to agree with you, Joe. After reading Aaron's and Bill's words, I now have a better idea on what Living History is -- sounds like great fun! If there was such a group around here I'd likely be all over it. -Ted

Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
I'd love to make it to some living histroy events with a pre-1600 focus, but they seem to be rather thin on the ground in the Midwest.

I'll have to agree with you, Joe. After reading Aaron's and Bill's words, I now have a better idea on what Living History is -- sounds like great fun! If there was such a group around here I'd likely be all over it. -Ted

Lloyd Clark of the Kings Champions is trying ot get a late 14th Century group together here in WI last time I checked.

As to my ren faire clothes, this thread has made me realize that there aren't a whole lot of pictures that I could find with me in them. Here's the one my avatar is from:

Attachment: 68.53 KB
myarmoury.jpg

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org

Last edited by Chris Last on Fri 15 Jul, 2005 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
If there was such a group around here I'd likely be all over it. -Ted

You guys have a much larger interested population up there than I do down here... might see if there is any interest and start your own!

I really miss doing this stuff via that vehicle. I would start one down here, but I'll have to see if I can find my childhood imaginary friends and ask myself if they'd be interested, 'cause there aren't any real ones down here who are - I've definitely asked. Actually, there are 2, but we haven't been able to work anything out yet. Lives are just too hectic.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ren. Fest. clothes
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: