Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ohio/Midwest Gathering aka Round Table IV Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe

I know exactly what you mean about the Crecy. It was much smaller in person than I had expected. I have come to really appreciate that type of short bastard sword however. My Mercenary is also quite small and I thought it would be quite usable with one hand. While it is possible to wield single-handedly, I have cut and played around with it enough to realize that it is truly a longsword, better suited to a two-handed grip. And once I got used to the timing and reach of the shorter blade, I was amazed at how quickly it moves from one form to another. The short bastard style seems to be a specialized type for a specific use. Of course, this is my purely armature opinion, coming from someone with even less experience than yourself. I agree that it could be a really hot seller for Albion. A really nice piece! Big Grin

The other sword that impressed me in person was Charles’ Count. I thought it looked a bit inelegant on-line, but it is really a beautiful sword that handles extremely well. Also, excellent choice on the brown grip with steel pommel, Charles. Stunning! Eek!

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
The other sword that impressed me in person was Charles’ Count. I thought it looked a bit inelegant on-line, but it is really a beautiful sword that handles extremely well. Also, excellent choice on the brown grip with steel pommel, Charles. Stunning!

I agree. I've had one here for a couple of weeks. I didn't like it at all until it was in-hand. It's really grown on me and I find that I like it quite a bit. I actually disappointed that it has to go back.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I, too, was expecting the Crecy to be a bit more 'substantial.' But now I realize that its size speaks volumes of its versitility. Peter's right, it certainly is much different than the FirstGeneration Crecy, which I've also handled. I'll bet the NextGen Crecy would really stand out if being used from horseback. It reminds me of A&A's Black Prince in that the grip is neither one-handed nor two (I think Joe brought that up) so that took some getting used to. IMHO, it didn't cut as good as the Laird, but I found myself handling the Crecy quite a bit last Saturday. -Ted
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Charles Adams

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Patrick, I'm glad to see that the Count caught your liking once you had it in hand. Any idea when your review of it might be up. I'm interested in hearing your opinins. Thanks
Charles
Edward Hitchens

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Charles,
That Count was very impressive! Definitely one the stars of the show. Thanks for bringing it! -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Charles Adams wrote:
Hey Patrick, I'm glad to see that the Count caught your liking once you had it in hand. Any idea when your review of it might be up. I'm interested in hearing your opinins. Thanks
Charles

I really have no idea when the review will be up. I'm still in the process of writing it (it will be a combo review with the Steward as well). We group things thematically so once I finally finish it we'll need to group it with something similar.

Short version: cool sword, great hilt detail. Very easy in the handling department. Ideal for those who want a medieval grete swerde but can't, or don't, want to handle the more massive examples of the type. The Count reminds me very much of Orlando Bloom's sword from Kingdom of Heaven. I really love faceted pommels too. Big Grin

Edward Hitchens

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The Count reminds me very much of Orlando Bloom's sword from Kingdom of Heaven.

I made that very same observation, particularly in the guard! Eek! I like the Count a lot better with the all-steel furniture; I didn't care for the bronze pommel of the earlier production ones.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Quote:
The Count reminds me very much of Orlando Bloom's sword from Kingdom of Heaven.

I made that very same observation, particularly in the guard! Eek! I like the Count a lot better with the all-steel furniture; I didn't care for the bronze pommel of the earlier production ones.

Just to clarify: the bronze pommel is still an option as this sword was designed with it from the outset.

Mark Weldon

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I spoke to Mike at Albion a few minutes ago confirming the details of my order. They are already backing up on the Crecy, with delivery projected for sometime in September. He believes this could become their number one seller based on early orders.

Mark
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Weldon wrote:
I spoke to Mike at Albion a few minutes ago confirming the details of my order. They are already backing up on the Crecy, with delivery projected for sometime in September. He believes this could become their number one seller based on early orders.

Mark

I'm not the least bit surprised, its an excellent value (as I keep posting). Wink

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Just to clarify: the bronze pommel is still an option as this sword was designed with it from the outset.

Yes, indeed. Peter said the shaping of the pommel was designed specifically to be cast in bronze, which would likely have been cast "back in the day," too, allowing for different shaping than forging might give you.

Peter originally told me that steel would not be an option for the pommel. I think that the hoardes of anti-bronzites and perhaps a lower level of interest in mixed hilt materials made them change their minds. Happy

I really like the all-steel version and it was one I considered when placing my last order. I really liked seeing Charles's Count.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the Crecy and Knight will be their two best sellers. The Crecy is an absolute hell of a good value, especially with the current sale. It will fill a nice niche in many collections. If I were to have a larger collection than I have right now, I'd find a place for the Crecy in it. Happy
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ohio/Midwest Gathering aka Round Table IV
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: