Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Frazier Historical Arms Museum (VERY photo intensive) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick and Nathan,
The Frazier is about an hour and a half away from me. You guys have a standing invite if you're ever passing through the area. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Patrick and Nathan,
The Frazier is about an hour and a half away from me. You guys have a standing invite if you're ever passing through the area. Happy

I'll surely take you up on that someday. Thanks!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ditto on Gordon F's comments! the ECW stuff is way cool....and that Sinclair hilt is pretty niffty as well...........

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your photos, Joe !

That John Allan inlaid piece is so awesome ..... it's pretty cool that the Royal Armouries are bringing some of their collection stateside!
Anyone know how long these perticular items will be on display at the Frazier ?

Thanks again, Mac

*Photo: from the excellent book "British Basket-Hilted Swords", by Cyril Mazansky, 2005.

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Ditto Thanks!         Reply with quote

Awesome post Joe.

The clothing depicted in the first half dozen photos is very much consistent with what I figure average (non nobility) combatants typically had. It is good to seem some depiction of non state of the art stuff, as many could have had, being used.

I especially like the tournament sword category photos, German longsword with long hilt. Would you be wiling to venture a guess at the approximate grip length?

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Thanks for posting these Joe! These definitely need to go into a photo album.

I had thought of visiting Louisville when I first saw the Frazier's website, now it's a must!

Nathan and I exchanged some PMs about it.

Something is worked out to cover this and hopefully bring the image quality up a bit.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditto Thanks!         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
Awesome post Joe.

The clothing depicted in the first half dozen photos is very much consistent with what I figure average (non nobility) combatants typically had. It is good to seem some depiction of non state of the art stuff, as many could have had, being used.

I especially like the tournament sword category photos, German longsword with long hilt. Would you be wiling to venture a guess at the approximate grip length?

Long.

a wild guess would be 10 inches +/-.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sat 09 Jul, 2005 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Our virtual tour continues         Reply with quote

Now we start getting inot the later periods. Transitions to an American focus.

Attachment: 105.58 KB
Gentleman.jpg
Gnetleman

Attachment: 88.62 KB
Light brigade.jpg
Light brigade

Attachment: 87.19 KB
Gunsmith.jpg
Gunsmith

Attachment: 81.15 KB
Boom stick.jpg
Civel war

Attachment: 99.47 KB
Civil War.jpg
More civil war

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: The last batch         Reply with quote

Plains Indians to exit, or entrance depending on where you are heading.

Attachment: 71.91 KB
Indian.jpg
Plains indians

Attachment: 109.64 KB
Lobby.jpg
Lobby

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditto Thanks!         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
Awesome post Joe.

Thought I'd mention that I also like the fact that the collection is about more than the nobility. Most of my ancestors were either run out of Germany (Swabia, Palinate, Wurttemberg, Lorraine) or run out of Scottland (Borderers, Jacobites, and Scotts Irish). Almost all of them were on in the lower social classes. I enjoy seeing bits and pieces that may reflect thier reality, not just that of their betters.

Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Joe,

Great photos. Your pics came out a lot better than mine did.

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/thumbnails.php?album=161
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:

Anyone know how long these perticular items will be on display at the Frazier ?...

This looks like a wonderful exhibit! Please accept my thanks, as well, Joe.

I would like to echo Mac's question on the duration of the exhibit. The Louisville location is a stretch for me, but if something requires me to travel to the general area, I would really like to visit, if the exhibit is still around.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen A. Fisher wrote:
Hey Joe,

Great photos. Your pics came out a lot better than mine did.

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/thumbnails.php?album=161

Your photos seem to have come out pretty well and it looks like you were able to get a few things that I did not manage to get good shots of. I was at the Frazier about a year ago and I noticed that there were some changes, but I can't quite place what they are. Big Grin

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Thomas McDonald wrote:

Anyone know how long these perticular items will be on display at the Frazier ?...

This looks like a wonderful exhibit! Please accept my thanks, as well, Joe.

I would like to echo Mac's question on the duration of the exhibit. The Louisville location is a stretch for me, but if something requires me to travel to the general area, I would really like to visit, if the exhibit is still around.

As far as I know it is going to be permenant, although I image some of the displays will change over time.

Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Outstanding pictures, Joe!! Cool, now I don't have to go all the way to Britain Razz (oh, yes I do Wink )

Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but it may be fun for some of us to meet there and check it out. I hope that's a permenant exhibit and not just a temporary one. -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another batch         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Don't know what this one is, but its neat.

A German hanger/cutlass or "Dusägge" would be my amateurish guess. I might well be wrong about the nationality, though...

Great photos, BTW! Thank you very much for your trouble shooting and posting them.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Outstanding pictures, Joe!! Cool, now I don't have to go all the way to Britain Razz (oh, yes I do Wink )

Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but it may be fun for some of us to meet there and check it out. I hope that's a permenant exhibit and not just a temporary one. -Ted

Ed,

As I understand things, it is a permenant exhibit but some of the thngs on display will change over time. The Royal Armories intends to slowly rotate peices through that are currently in their archives and not on display. The Frazier does provide some information on how things work, but I can't remember all the details. Suffice to say the curator teams from both facilities decide what may be of interest, and what is in condition to travel. I have no idea how long individual items are on loan, but its obvious both institutions intend for this to be a long term arrangement.

BTW I believe everything in the live action interpretations is a reproduction. Everything in a glass case is real. I recognized some stuff from A&A and Deltin being put to use by the people doing interpretion work. I'm not sure who is doing some of the other stuff, but there is some real nice reproduction work on display.

Last edited by Joe Fults on Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another batch         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
Don't know what this one is, but its neat.

A German hanger/cutlass or "Dusägge" would be my amateurish guess. I might well be wrong about the nationality, though...

Great photos, BTW! Thank you very much for your trouble shooting and posting them.

Thank you

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Outstanding pictures Joe! As Patrick mentioned I was thinking about it before, now I'm DEFINITELY going!
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Outstanding pictures Joe! As Patrick mentioned I was thinking about it before, now I'm DEFINITELY going!

I think its worth the trip. Especially since there are so many other museums near the Frazier and Louisville is very easy to get around in. At least in my experience.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Frazier Historical Arms Museum (VERY photo intensive)
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: