Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Latest Additions to my collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next 
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oops. Dropped an addition here and meant to drop it in another thread. Sorry for the mixup!

Nice swords, btw...

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a couple of images of my new sax by Tod's Stuff. I just chucked the sax on my scanner, so they're not the best.

Attachment: 21.99 KB
Sax1.jpg

Attachment: 28.53 KB
sax2.jpg

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My new ebony bollock dagger with silver fittings and gold accent:

And my new purse, based on Olav Goubitz's research in 'Purses in Pieces', made by a friend.

I'm very pleased with the endresults, and how the purse and the dagger complement each other!
I can recommend Tod to anyone, and I'd love to order from him again anytime.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the latest addition: a medieval knife by Tod's Stuff. The grip is boxwood, the pins and butt plate are brass. The steel blade is inlaid on one side with brass X's and Tod's mark is also inlaid in brass. The spine of the blade is decoraed with lines and dots. The scabbard's decoration is based on one on page 117 of Knives and Scabbards. The blade's decoration is based on one on page 87 of the same book.

I didn't give Tod much direction. I just asked him for a knife appropriate for the late 14th and early 15th century and with a whittle (through) tang. He made a bunch of knives and let me have the pick of them. The rest were brought to a show. Some sold and some may still be for sale.

Attachment: 48.77 KB
Tod Knife 2.jpg
The knife in its sheath.

Attachment: 28.48 KB
Tod knife 1.jpg
The knife and the back side of the sheath.

Attachment: 34.4 KB
Tod Knife.jpg
Just the knife.

Attachment: 35.1 KB
Tod Knife blade.jpg
Closeup of the blade.

Attachment: 15.29 KB
Tod knife spine.jpg
The spine of the blade.

Happy

ChadA

Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That knife is really something Chad!

I like it very much- the different design elements really come together beautifully.

THanks for sharing!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
That knife is really something Chad!

I like it very much- the different design elements really come together beautifully.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! It's simple, yet not so simple. The sheath is really something. As you can see, it's tooled all over and the carved dragon is really nice. The price was really pretty reasonable and helped by the change in the ratio of USD to GBP.

While it might be nice to have the inlay on both sides of the blade, I think it might be overkill.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm the only one silly about knives these days, but they fascinate me. Happy So much so that after buying the knife above, I bought a second one from Tod.

This one's grip is also made of boxwood. The peen block/cone is brass and the blade steel. The decorative dots on the grip are made of soot and glue. The scabbard is based on one in Knives and Scabbards.

Attachment: 39.1 KB
Tod 2 knife 1.jpg

Attachment: 33.59 KB
Tod 2 knife 2.jpg

Attachment: 42.12 KB
Tod Knives.jpg
Both knives together.

Attachment: 44.66 KB
Tod knives 2.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My latest acquisition. Happy A replica of an English/Scottish dagger from the late 13th century said to have belonged to Alexander Balliol, Lord of Cavers, cousin of King John I of Scotland.

This dagger is likely now in a private collection but was published in a Peter Finer catalogue a few years ago. The original:

The replica is by Tod's Stuff. It has a steel blade, pommel, and guard. The shield is silver, set with actual red enamel. It's soldered onto the pommel. The grip is boxwood treated with linseed oil. The rivets are tubular copper.

I bet now people can see why I was asking about John Balliol's nickname and about daggers with octagonal pommels. Happy

I'll do full reviews and writeups for the site later, but I thought people might like to see this. Happy I'm pretty happy with it.

Attachment: 37.14 KB
Balliol-final.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Mon 01 Jun, 2009 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

The replica is by Tod's Stuff. It has a steel blade, pommel, and guard. The shield is silver, set with actual red enamel. It's soldered onto the pommel. The grip is boxwood treated with linseed oil. The rivets are tubular copper.

Wow, truly gorgeous! I'm envious. Congrats on your new acquisition. Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,
That is a really nice dagger. I love seeing less published items like the Balliol dagger tastefully reproduced. The Peter Finer catalogs really are a treasure trove. Great choice!

Jonathan
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed Toton wrote:
Wow, truly gorgeous! I'm envious. Congrats on your new acquisition. Happy

Ed,
Thanks! It really turned out nicely. Tod always does great work. Happy

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Chad,
That is a really nice dagger. I love seeing less published items like the Balliol dagger tastefully reproduced. The Peter Finer catalogs really are a treasure trove. Great choice!

Jonathan

Jonathan,
Thanks to you as well. Happy I love the Peter Finer catalogues too, and finally have the whole set. The one this dagger appears in (2003) is my favorite and has several other items in it that I'd love to have reproduced.

Happy

ChadA

Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This dagger was one of the work in progress pieces that I had a look at when I took a sword round to Tod recently for a scabbard fitting. It's always interesting to see how these come together. Very nice.
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like your collection Chad, I don't think I've seen a better assembley of repro medieval knives and daggers actually.

I think you'll really like my next aquisition. Happy
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
I really like your collection Chad, I don't think I've seen a better assembley of repro medieval knives and daggers actually.

Thanks! Any hints on your next acquisition? Happy

Happy

ChadA

Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Taylor Ellis wrote:

Thanks! Any hints on your next acquisition? Happy

It's a repro of a 13th century dagger from the Skokloster Castle collection. Happy
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Armed (okay, a little pun intended) with info from this topic, I picked up a knife and pricker set from Bohemond. For $35, they're pretty nice. There are some grind marks on the blade, but I don't mind them. The grips are bone with hollow copper rivets. They came with a sheath (not pictured).

Yes, they're stainless steel blades which some people will hate. Consider though that the nicely blended high-carbon non-stainless steels that most makers use are themselves pretty far off from period materials. As long as I'm not getting a historical material anyway, I might as well benefit from the extra hardness and corrosion resistance. Happy

Attachment: 20.75 KB
knifepricker.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've noticed that lately you've been getting a lot more knives and daggers than swords... Is it because you feel you've got enough swords already, or simply need to diversify your collection some? I didn't take time to go back and read a lot of the commentary so if you already made mention of any reasons for the transition, forgive me! The last few pieces you've got here are very nice. I've yet to own a knife or dagger, while they really are much more handy than swords...

-Gregory

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory,
Interesting question. Happy There are several factors at work.

1) Space. My stuff all goes in a display cabinet which has room for about 7 swords plus knives and daggers. I have 7 swords. Happy That leads me to:

2) Sword quality. My swords are from Albion, A&A, and Armour Class. I'm happy with them all. If I were to add a sword, I'd need to sell something I have to make space. So what I'd add would have to be something really good. Which leads me to:

3) Cost. Any swords better than what I have will cost more. Even if I sell one to finance the next, I'd still be looking at a bigger cash outlay than I can do. Which leads to:

4) Cash flow. For about 3 1/2 years, I've been operating my collecting habits with zero money out of pocket. That's because I have no money. Happy So I sell things from my library and collection, etc. to finance other items. It usually means I have little chunks of money to spend at a time and it's tough to predict if more money is on the horizon. That leads to:

5) $$$. Knives and daggers (even custom ones) generally cost less than good production swords. Plus:

6) Knives and daggers were worn by many people even if they couldn't wear a sword for financial or legal reasons. They complete our picture of the medieval man. They were everywhere. And they come in some really cool varieties.

So it's a confluence of my financial situation, interests, and space limitations. But I'm getting to the point where I have most of the major knife and dagger forms represented. So what's next? Armour? Happy

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just for fun, here's a scan of the knife and pricker in their scabbard.

Attachment: 12.75 KB
knifepricker2.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Cash flow. For about 3 1/2 years, I've been operating my collecting habits with zero money out of pocket. That's because I have no money. Happy So I sell things from my library and collection, etc. to finance other items. It usually means I have little chunks of money to spend at a time and it's tough to predict if more money is on the horizon.

Being a student, that's typically how I operate too! It can get frustrating, but it's also a good way to check yourself from getting too carried away, methinks. I have a heap of trouble saving money, though... I blame the influence of my parents for that one, and try to stay content eating little and reading lots!

Armour may be a logical next step for you, but as one who's already had his share of armour collecting, let me warn you that it's extremely important that you have a good reason for getting the stuff! If you're just interested in display items, stick to helmets. If you want to wear the stuff for a particular style of event - get custom work and be done with it. If you go any other route for either intrigue, you'll find yourself lacking the motivation either to display the armour properly and get fed up with the space it takes, or you'll find wearing the stuff that you didn't get made just for you is a pain in the ass when it comes to mobility and general aesthetics! Happy

Cheers!

-Gregory

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Latest Additions to my collection
Page 12 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: