Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Latest Additions to my collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next 
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

I did some cutting with my Regent and Brescia the other day, for a little side-by-side longsword comparison, and let me tell you... Razz

You in pain yet, Russ? Big Grin

Chad's most recent couple of pics do give a neat perspective on the piece. I had an idea of how interesting this piece was before I had it in hand, but there are subtleties that you just don't appreciate until you physically inspect and handle it. The blade geometry is fascinating, as are the details Thomas points out here - everything just transitions beautifully to make such a slick, neat piece. It's the first thing you notice when you look at my collection - this piece is the one that stands out.

Sorry son of a... shut up and stuff! Happy Did I mention that I really like this one? Yes, yes I did and yet there you go making me wonder if I should just you know sell off some other stuff from my collection so I can order one of these along with that big NG messer that is next on my list...

I know what you mean, I've been looking at what swords I could sell to finance one of these, but I've also got my eye on a Gaddhjalt, and the Squire is also a fine looking sword, and.....

I think I'm gonna for a walk or something, clear my head....... Razz
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, really... see? It stands out! Razz

Russ Ellis wrote:
Sorry son of a... shut up and stuff! Happy Did I mention that I really like this one? Yes, yes I did and yet there you go making me wonder if I should just you know sell off some other stuff from my collection so I can order one of these along with that big NG messer that is next on my list...

All incessant bullying aside, Russ (dang, it's fun to pick on you - all in good fun, or course Wink ), I know it's on your eventually list. The Messer is on mine... all things in due time. Of course, if you're free on the 30th, you can stop by at my RT, play with both, and pick up a Regent at 15% off! Just a thought...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guys,
I'm glad the pics have generated discussion and lust. Happy The Regent was a sword I couldn't pass up, even though it's a little outside of my primary time period of interest. It's is the most aestethically interesting sword I have. It's angular, yet not unattractive. Its decoration consists of simple straight lines: the midrib; the peak of the guard and grip, which splits at the pommel into two; the lines on the ecusson on ends of the guard. Simple, yet visually pretty stunning.

It cuts like a beast, too. Not in the same way the beastly Baron cuts, though. A different beast. Happy Quicker, stealthier, seemingly more deadly. The Baron cleaves; the Regent slices.

The Sovereign is still my favorite. It's a toss-up between the Baron and Regent for 2nd place, though.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
It cuts like a beast, too. Not in the same way the beastly Baron cuts, though. A different beast. Happy Quicker, stealthier, seemingly more deadly. The Baron cleaves; the Regent slices.

The Sovereign is still my favorite. It's a toss-up between the Baron and Regent for 2nd place, though.

And now Chad's picking on me... the Sovereign is really a neat piece - one I am going to have to acquire in the not-too-distant future. What a bulldog - a bite to back up that bark, this one definitely doesn't stay on the porch.

Oh, and the Regent also thrusts quite efficiently. Almost exactly 2 weeks ago, I reached back behind to get something from the bowl in the picture I posted. A sudden noise startled me as I was pulling my hand back out and I jerked - put about an inch and a quarter of the tip fairly effortlessly through my hand. (It pierced the web of my right hand, and went up into my thumb! WTF?! Fortunately, nothing critical was cut...) Kiddies, don't try that at home. Aside from the significant pain and bloody mess I had to clean up, I was actually quite impressed with the efficiency of the sword on living tissue...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

All incessant bullying aside, Russ (dang, it's fun to pick on you - all in good fun, or course Wink ), I know it's on your eventually list. The Messer is on mine... all things in due time. Of course, if you're free on the 30th, you can stop by at my RT, play with both, and pick up a Regent at 15% off! Just a thought...

LOL You so mean...

It's that discount stuff that got me in trouble with the Brecia. I'd love to stop by the Round table, I need to go look it up and see when and where and if I can make it. We need to talk scabbard stuff in person anyway.

That's a mighty nice collection you've got pictured there, of course it will look even nicer when there's a Svante on the top rack! Which one of the Viking swords is that you have pictured and what do you think of it?

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
LOL You so mean...

That's me... a real prince... evil to my very core.

Russ Ellis wrote:
It's that discount stuff that got me in trouble with the Brecia. I'd love to stop by the Round table, I need to go look it up and see when and where and if I can make it. We need to talk scabbard stuff in person anyway.

July 30th, 2005 in Hammond, LA (between New Orleans and Baton Rouge). The whole weekend's open, though, if you're interested...

Russ Ellis wrote:
That's a mighty nice collection you've got pictured there, of course it will look even nicer when there's a Svante on the top rack! Which one of the Viking swords is that you have pictured and what do you think of it?

From the top down, the swords here are the Brescia, Regent, Landgraf, Squire, Knight, Ritter, and Vinland. I will have the Hersir just in time for the RT as well. The Vinland is a nice piece for the price - nice cutter, feels decent in the hand, grip is comfortably palmed, no issues keeping alignment. Having said that, It's not a Hersir, Jarl, or Huskarl, which I would prefer (thus the addition of the Hersir to my collection). I don't foresee parting with it.

And yes, Russ - the Svante on the top, Brescia next, then the Munich and Regent in whichever order allows the crosses to fit... makes for a pretty picture in my mind's eye. I'll be needing another rack very soon. I'm considering one like Albion's vertical rack, though, for conservation of space.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You'll have to put me in the Regent fan club too. Even though it's far outside of my usual periods of interest it still attracts me. It's such a sleek and deadly looking sword. From a distance it appears to be a rather slim and dainty piece, especially in photos. However, once you have it in hand you realize what a beast it really is.

IMHO it's one of the neatest swords Albion makes. Not as neat as the Jarl, but close. Wink

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
You'll have to put me in the Regent fan club too. Even though it's far outside of my usual periods of interest it still attracts me. It's such a sleek and deadly looking sword. From a distance it appears to be a rather slim and dainty piece, especially in photos. However, once you have it in hand you realize what a beast it really is.

IMHO it's one of the neatest swords Albion makes. Not as neat as the Jarl, but close. Wink

Hmmm going to wander over to Albion's site in a second to look at this Jarl... Been reading a bit on vikings and such lately and have decided I'm going to have to add a viking era sword of some description to the Armory.

You know it's weird but one thing I like about the Regent is that grip shape...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
...Oh, and the Regent also thrusts quite efficiently. Almost exactly 2 weeks ago, I reached back behind to get something from the bowl in the picture I posted. A sudden noise startled me as I was pulling my hand back out and I jerked - put about an inch and a quarter of the tip fairly effortlessly through my hand. (It pierced the web of my right hand, and went up into my thumb! WTF?! Fortunately, nothing critical was cut...) Kiddies, don't try that at home. Aside from the significant pain and bloody mess I had to clean up, I was actually quite impressed with the efficiency of the sword on living tissue...

Yeeouuchh! That will slow your cutting practice a bit! How many stitches?
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Yeeouuchh! That will slow your cutting practice a bit! How many stitches?

Steve, when I say this thing is EFFICIENT at thrusting, dude, I mean it. I immediately thought "holy sh...", slid my hand back off, and dumped a quarter pint on the floor. Instant nausea and lightheadedness, and wicked pain...

I'm a remote-location paramedic. I'm not saying it's prudent, but I don't do hospitals unless I am dying or have parts in places they shouldn't be. My tetanus shot status is fine - had one a couple of years ago, and they are good for 5 - 10. I cleaned it out very thoroughly with surgical scrub, looked in there to examine structures (yeah, left-handed, and I'm a rightey, and on my own hand to boot), and used surgical superglue to close it. I was really friggin' lucky that the blade slid between the muscle and skin - very superficial muscle involvement, and no ligament/tendon/nerve issues. If I had treated that cut on someone else's hand, I probably would have thrown 5 or 6 stitches in there.

I cut about 10 days later... wasn't really comfortable, and didn't do as well as usual, but I needed to exercise the hand. It improved over the next few days, and I was doing fine at 12 days. 2-handed cutting was a lot easier than 1...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron;

Oh, I feel your pain ............ well not really Eek!

Good no crippling damage was done. You might get an interesting scar from it. ( Try changing the story to a bar fight when asked. Wink )

Did something similar to myself in 1995: Was spinning a dagger while watching T.V. : Spinning blade forward to blade reverse grip and not paying enough attention to what I was doing, instead of doing it vertically as I have done it a million time without incident I tried doing it horizontally ! Worked a few times, but like I said I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing. Well the dagger got away from me and went flying up and I was trying to get my body parts out of the way as it came back down in what seems like " BULLET TIME " ( Extreme slow motion ).

The blade tip slashed the top of my left hand and like you I got lucky that nothing vital got cut: Just a one inch wide cut close to the bone but missing all major blood vessels and tendons. In my case not much pain, little bleeding and mostly " white rage " mad at myself for being stupid. I was very lucky ! This dagger was and is scary sharp, I now have a nice one inch long scar there. Oh, no stitches just a butterfly bandaid and it took weeks to close up completely. ( No infection. )

Well a very minor wound that could have easily been a dagger 8" into my thigh or worse. Blush Blush Blush Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Good no crippling damage was done. You might get an interesting scar from it. ( Try changing the story to a bar fight when asked. Wink )

I have 3 others, all from sparring, all by other's blades. One was a thrust from a Viking sword that went up under my maille and into the side of my right elbow. One is across the back of my right hand from a broken tip of a rapier - that went through a leather gauntlet. The third is a vertical split through my left eyebrow... if not for a nasal helm, that one would have been pretty bad. This will be a nasty little scar - about 3/4 inch long (that Regent blade is pretty narrow, after all...) at the base of my right thumb. For this one, I think people would just stop hearing me when I said "and this is where I had a sword run through my hand...". That Eek! Surprised Confused Worried progression of faces probably would preclude further listening.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well a very minor wound that could have easily been a dagger 8" into my thigh or worse. Blush Blush Blush Laughing Out Loud

Yup. We were both lucky. These aren't toys, and definitely deserve attention and respect. I handle my pieces very regularly, but never do so without absolute control and attention. Never overly-tired, never under the influence of anything. The whole reason I had the rack situated like I did was to put the points all towards something people didn't have a reason to be behind. Then I went behind...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hopefully, others will learn to be careful from these type of stories.

I' m generally careful, but you only have to be stupid once. Big Grin

Must be doing something right since that was the worse cut I ever did to myself.

Oh, if I go way back decades I did get a nasty cut when a katana slid out of a loose scabbard and I caught it by reflex: As they say don't try to catch a falling knife Eek! Eek! Eek! ( Was lucky that time also as it cut the inside of a finger near a joint but didn't cut any tendons ! But I did pass out on the bathroom floor that time as I was trying to bandage it. )

So at 55 I think the number of, what I call, bad cuts is below half a dozen.

Aaron, your injury stories sound much more serious. Eek! Eek! Eek! We sound like that scene in the first Jaws movie were the guys are trying to one-up each other showing their scars. ( You win! or loose depending on your point of view. )

Oh, interesting about the Nasal helm protecting you from a worse injury: I find that the Nasal doesn't obstruct my vision much and for such a narrow and limited face protection, it is so well placed that it adds protection way out of proportion to it's size.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Oh, and the Regent also thrusts quite efficiently. Almost exactly 2 weeks ago, I reached back behind to get something from the bowl in the picture I posted. A sudden noise startled me as I was pulling my hand back out and I jerked - put about an inch and a quarter of the tip fairly effortlessly through my hand. (It pierced the web of my right hand, and went up into my thumb! WTF?! Fortunately, nothing critical was cut...) Kiddies, don't try that at home. Aside from the significant pain and bloody mess I had to clean up, I was actually quite impressed with the efficiency of the sword on living tissue...

Ouch! That must have been painful! I did something similar to that on my hand while sawing firewood last month- so i feel for you. Good thing you're "of the medical profession". Did you ever find out what the noise was? Laughing Out Loud You're just lucky the Regent isn't a type XV Eek!

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
Ouch! That must have been painful! I did something similar to that on my hand while sawing firewood last month- so i feel for you. Good thing you're "of the medical profession". Did you ever find out what the noise was? Laughing Out Loud You're just lucky the Regent isn't a Type XV Eek!

I wouldn't rate it up there with tooth pain, kidney stones, or having your knee ripped apart in an accident, but it's not something I want to suffer again. Not one of my finer moments, I assure you. It was mostly just nauseating at first - got to hurting later once the endorphins (your body's natural morphine, so to speak) dropped back off.

The noise was a piece of wood that got knocked off a table and landed flat, so made a loud snap/pop like a gunshot in the same room.

I'm not sure that a XV would have been any easier - the needle-sharp point and severe profile of the Regent is why it slipped in so deep.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Only three Aaron? Jeez, what a lightweight. Big Grin
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Only three Aaron? Jeez, what a lightweight. Big Grin

Punk... Razz

Skills, man.. skills. And armour.

I've definitely taken my lumps - more bruises, scrapes, and strains than I care to remember, and I certainly (generally unintentionally Wink ) dished out a couple, too. Most of our sparring was either half-speed or with thick blunts, so not much potential for actual nasty injury. Though my regular sparring buddies and I were ahead of our time, it was about 15 years ago, and, well... WMA wasn't then what it is today. A lot of our work then was choreographed mini-routines that we could signal to each other or work out ahead of time to stretch into endless but fairly convincing fight scenes for small group demonstrations. Very little free-sparring was done outside of that specific 5 people with steel. I didn't trust many other people.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the latest addition, Albion's Sempach with magenta grip.

This is quite a sword. It seems to be a little under-rated, as Type XVII's do in general. It cut soft targets (pool noodles) with great ease, something I didn't really expect, given the blade's cross-section. It's agile in the thrust without lacking authority in the cut. Nice.

Attachment: 40.25 KB
upload1.jpg
With Campaign Scabbard and my old RenFest costume belt.

Attachment: 20.11 KB
upload2.jpg
Hilt shot

Attachment: 13.77 KB
upload3.jpg

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Congratulations Chad         Reply with quote

Though I am an "Arms & Armor" collector, I do greatly admire Albion and their "Mercenary" is among my favorites, however I think the Regent is very classy. I also like the color selection you chose, personally I think you chose the most appropriate color for each one. You have two absolutely gorgeous swords added to your collection that anyone would envy. But actually, I am very happy for you, I know the feeling, I get that feeling bone deep everytime I get a new piece from Arms & Armor.

Aaron, the rack of Albions is a beautiful sight to behold, I look forward to filling a rack of Arms & Armor, with 4 of their swords and 1 rapier I have a good start.

Something else I very much enjoy, the different kind of collections, like Patrick, you gear towards a particular kind of sword and a time period, and have umpteen versions, I think that is very interesting indeed.
For me, my interest is in the diversity of sword types, which is why somewhere down the road I will probably acquire the Albion Mainz Gladius. My collection as it grows will look like "Time Travel". LOL

Once again Chad, I think your swords are absolutely stunning in every respect!

Happy Collecting

Bob
Mark Morris

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Latest Additions to my collection         Reply with quote

The blue grip on the Regent is really nice.
I just ordered a Knight with a Royal blue grip. The lady I spoke to at Albion told me that they just made a Regent with a beautiful blue grip! They were quite proud of it!
So, you are the culprit!! Wink

Thanks for the "preview" of the color. Enjoy!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Latest Additions to my collection
Page 2 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: