Introducing... The NextGen Steward XIIIa...
This is the sword that the original FirstGen Crecy was supposed to be... a XIIIa warsword, smaller than the Duke, but still packing quite a punch...

[ Linked Image ]

see more here:

http://albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextge...xiiia3.htm

Best,

Howy
Howy,
That looks great! Does it share hilt components with any other NG swords? It looks similar to the Crecy in the pommel and guard, but it's hard to tell from pics. I could be way off. :)
Chad Arnow wrote:
Howy,
That looks great! Does it share hilt components with any other NG swords? It looks similar to the Crecy in the pommel and guard, but it's hard to tell from pics. I could be way off. :)

You are correct!

The blade is the same one as on the Count, the hilt is the same as the NGCrecy, but with a very diffrerent grip and a rivet block. The NextGen Crecy is an improved version of the FirstGen Crecy, but clearly as a XVIa. For the Steward, we went back to the original inspiration for the FirstGen Crecy (XIIIa.5 in Records). Same parts, but a very different sword.

Best,

Howy
Another nice looking sword. At this rate I'm going to have to win the lotto to afford what's on my Albion wish list.

Brian M
You know (and this is no reflection on Peter's drawings) but I must have passed over the sketch of this sword I don't know how many times. But now seeing it I may have to do some serious reevaluation about which one of these I want to make my first purchase. Wow.
Gabriel Stevens wrote:
You know (and this is no reflection on Peter's drawings) but I must have passed over the sketch of this sword

I don't believe this one was pre-announced.
:eek: DOH! I could have sworn I remember reading that name before....oh well that would explain why I missed it this whole time.... :lol: Well it still has me doing some serious thinking.
Wow! You guys at Albion! Whenever I think I have chosen a sword there is always one that comes out that is just as cool! Another jaw-dropper. This is really making me think about reconsidering the Crecy...Why do you do this to me! :cry: :lol:

Great work! :)

-Michæl F.
Michael F. wrote:
Wow! You guys at Albion! Whenever I think I have chosen a sword there is always one that comes out that is just as cool! Another jaw-dropper. This is really making me think about reconsidering the Crecy...Why do you do this to me! :cry: :lol:

Great work! :)

-Michæl F.

Because they are Evil, Sadistic people - and I love them for it! (ok, so I'm kidding about the evil part ;) )

But as Brian pointed out above, I'm hoping to stumble on those special numbers, have a long-lost Uncle die and give me a pile of cash, or something equally fortuitous. My list is very long, despite the fact that my house is already turning into a museum.
Re: Introducing... The NextGen Steward XIIIa...
Howard Waddell wrote:
This is the sword that the original FirstGen Crecy was supposed to be... a XIIIa warsword, smaller than the Duke, but still packing quite a punch...

Gah! I've been caught off-guard with yet another beautiful teutonic addition to Albion's lineup!

So...

... any handling differences between this one and the Count?
I like this one a lot.

It also occurs to me: this blade, with the furniture of the Laird, would make a fine "West Highland hand & a half" sword...

:D
I'm with you on that idea, Joe. A West Highlander would look totally great on this blade....but give us some 'spoon' quillon ends..........yup. That'd be cool. Talk softly , though. Albionites get kinda weirded out when folks go to talkin' about component mix-matching. ( Just kidding around, Albion. Felt a smart-ass bone poking me. Anything you guys do is aces in my book.)...mcm.
Joe Maccarrone wrote:
I like this one a lot.

It also occurs to me: this blade, with the furniture of the Laird, would make a fine "West Highland hand & a half" sword...

:D

:) You know Joe...
This blade was actually my first candidate for the Chieftain sword. Concidering most customers seem to want really big claymores, we decided to build the Chieftain with the Duke blade instead.

Your suggestion is a good one, but I do not think you could use the components for the Laird straight off as they are. At least the cross would be too small to go well with the blade visually. The pommel might actually work, but it would need some serious refitting to go with the tang.
I´ll keep this suggestion in mind though. When I next get some extra time on my hands that I don´t knwo what to dowith, I could throw together some new components in this style :D . Good to hear there are other out there who appreciate those slimmer claymores :cool: .
Hmm, that's a sword I would be interested in too.

Brian M
Peter Johnsson wrote:

:) You know Joe...
This blade was actually my first candidate for the Chieftain sword. Concidering most customers seem to want really big claymores, we decided to build the Chieftain with the Duke blade instead.

Your suggestion is a good one, but I do not think you could use the components for the Laird straight off as they are. At least the cross would be too small to go well with the blade visually. The pommel might actually work, but it would need some serious refitting to go with the tang.
I´ll keep this suggestion in mind though. When I next get some extra time on my hands that I don´t knwo what to dowith, I could throw together some new components in this style :D . Good to hear there are other out there who appreciate those slimmer claymores :cool: .

Thanks, Peter!

These are appealing swords of a versatile size. My theory is that when 14th-early 15th century chroniclers wrote of the west highlanders using 'two handed swords', they were describing this type of sword -- a forerunner to the bigger claymores that appeared later. (Without meaning to start the frequent debate on the use of the term 'claymore'... :) )

I agree that the Duke blade was a better choice for the Chieftain sword, which brings up a tangential question: what was the earliest use of the quatrefoil guard? The consensus seems to be the end of the 15th century, but is there a specific sample that can be accurately dated?
A very nice sword. I can see the spirit of the FG Crecy in there.

. . . so close. . . a true base type XIII. . . can see it through the mists. . . so close. . .
Peter Johnsson wrote:

Good to hear there are other out there who appreciate those slimmer claymores :cool: .

ya knowid definantly like to see a shorter 34"ish bladed claymore!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: